Scale of DPF problem with CR engines

Many of us have heard of people with DPF problems, but if ten people know of each case, that can magnify the scale of the issue.

So, how many people on here with CR engines have had problems, please?

How many haven't?

I haven't; 50:50 mix of town and motorway driving.

Thanks, Stuart.

no problems here, 1.6 tdi s spec 62 plate and 5500 miles half driving about town and half motorway and back roads while on school contract, 130 miles per day

Edited by racing boy

I had issues with my 59 plate Octy Vrs DSG. I do 65 miles a day. 50:50 motorway / country lane. Dealer had her in for 11 days diagnosing the fault. It was a faulty sensor that clogged up the DPF. Had to get the DPF changed too. Got sorted under warranty no problem and Skoda Assist were excellent. No such problems on my 62 plate GL Superb.

I had a similar issue on my old 170CR with a duff sensor that caused the DPF to clog, but mine was sorted outside my home by Skoda Assist. They guy diagnosed the issue, changed the sensor, got the car to do a re-generate from his laptop and went on his way. Everything sorted in less than two hours from me calling them.

Never had another issue with it in 97,000 miles.

Now on third Superb Elegance 2.0L 170 hp CR. Rural Cornwall and motorway never had a single problem with DPF. Next vehicle will also be same engine.

From my look on the forums and personal experience with 1.6CR, 1.6CRs seem to have a lot more DPF problems than 2.0CR engines. I had a DPF sensor fail after just 6k miles on a 2012 1.6CR105 Roomster.

From my look on the forums and personal experience with 1.6CR, 1.6CRs seem to have a lot more DPF problems than 2.0CR engines. I had a DPF sensor fail after just 6k miles on a 2012 1.6CR105 Roomster.

Will you never stop?!

No errors on my 1.6 TDI.

I used mine for local running for the first year and then the wife got it , it had one pressure sensor failure during warranty but thats it in over 60,000 miles.

Much like our PD 170 Octy VRS, one pressure sensor in 6 years and 80,000 miles and i used it for local running for 2 years only doing 6000 miles per year

Will you never stop?!

No errors on my 1.6 TDI.

Do a Briskoda search for DPF posts and count the ones listing DPF failure for 2.0 and 1.6, far more 1.6CR DPF failures than 2.0CR failures.

Or are you wed to this particular engine and cannot get a divorce?

Do a Briskoda search for DPF posts and count the ones listing DPF failure for 2.0 and 1.6, far more 1.6CR DPF failures than 2.0CR failures.

Or are you wed to this particular engine and cannot get a divorce?

I sounds more like you cannot get a divorce from yours. You keep complaining about it, but you still have the car?

Do a search on danish VAG sites. Zero to none problems with the 1.6 TDI.

I sounds more like you cannot get a divorce from yours. You keep complaining about it, but you still have the car?

Do a search on danish VAG sites. Zero to none problems with the 1.6 TDI.

Denmark is a very small country by population. I'd rather look at UK, German and French sites, Briskoda is actually not bad for this.

The only reason why I still have the 1.6CR is because having bought it new, it makes little financial sense to get rid of it (or the DPF) while in warranty.

Plus I have several days worth of mods on it and am in no mood to repeat that just yet. Roomster is a great family car otherwise. As soon as DPF shows even a hint of problem after warranty, either DPF will be gone or the car will be gone.

At least I can admit I spent a lot of money for a less than perfect engine that's substantially worse than old 1.9 in town driving, while it seems to be impossible for you.

Is a pressure sensor failure the same as a dpf failure then ??

No, it seems that in case of 1.6CRs they are mostly EGT (exhaust gas temperature) sensor failures. Could be variable quality EGT sensor supplier to factory, rather than any serious design issue.

Edited by dieselV6

Is a pressure sensor failure the same as a dpf failure then ??

A batch of exhaust pressure sensors were made in the USA and these are the faulty ones. Taiwanese ones are ok. I had a USA sensor fitted to my 2.0 CR Vrs which was not allowing correct regeneration of the DPF. Sensor was changed and when the dealers tried to do a forced regen of the DPF it would not allow them to do it as it was to clogged up. Hence I had to have a new DPF.

No issues with mine so far. 82,000 miles, variable servicing, 70% motorway and the rest is traffic in and around London. Car is always fully loaded.

My average interval between active regens is around 320 miles. Probably down to my driving style and the weight I carry about.

According to VCDS there is (i'm assuming this is calculated from regens etc) 80ml of oil ash in my filter. Not sure what the maximum amount of ash is but I recall seeing a figure of 145ml which equates to about 135,000 miles before it needs changing.

For those who are wondering, ash is what the DPF regeneration cycle cannot burn off and send down the exhaust pipe, this builds up over the life of the DPF and eventually clogs it up to a point where it can no longer operate efficiently.

Always use a low ash oil (example: VW507.00) type oil to prolong the life of the filter.

many of the taxis in my area are 1.6 TDI octavias and not one that i know has had any issues with the engine, and i have a 1.6 tdi superb and no problems with it either

The issue with the DPF was mostly related to early cars with the 170 PD engine as that wasn't the most suitable for use with a DPF. The later CR engines are more set up for the DPF and there doesn't seem to be any where near the number of problems reported.

The pressure sensor issue causing DPF failure is related to the fact that the system relies on 2 pressure sensors, one upstream and one downstream of the DPF, to tell the system that the filter is blocking up, i.e. downstream pressure a lot lower than upstream. The controller then initiates a period of extra fuel injection that causes the exhaust temperature to rise to a point where the soot in the filter is burnt off and blown out of the exhaust. This then causes the pressures to more or less equalise. If the system is missing one of the pressure signals then it won't initiate the burn off and the filter will continue to block up to the point at which it becomes irrecoverable and replacement is the only option.

Hope that helps,

Ian

I think most DPF faults are down to how the car is driven.

No problems in my Sept 2012 Superb 1.6 Greenline SE which now has 22,000 miles on the clock.

84k on 170 CR and only a faulty sensor at about 75k but no actual problems with the dpf itself, approx 300 miles per week on motorway, 100 miles in urban traffic. :hi:

No issues with mine so far. 82,000 miles, variable servicing, 70% motorway and the rest is traffic in and around London. Car is always fully loaded.

My average interval between active regens is around 320 miles. Probably down to my driving style and the weight I carry about.

According to VCDS there is (i'm assuming this is calculated from regens etc) 80ml of oil ash in my filter. Not sure what the maximum amount of ash is but I recall seeing a figure of 145ml which equates to about 135,000 miles before it needs changing.

For those who are wondering, ash is what the DPF regeneration cycle cannot burn off and send down the exhaust pipe, this builds up over the life of the DPF and eventually clogs it up to a point where it can no longer operate efficiently.

Always use a low ash oil (example: VW507.00) type oil to prolong the life of the filter.

Hi,

May I know how you could read this figure?

I could only read ash volume in a channel but it was in litres, with just two decimals of precision. Which method do you use?

Thanks in advance!

It read on VCDS as 0.08 litres. There are 1000ml in a litre so 0.08 litres equals 80ml. You won't get any more accurate than multiples of 10 grams as the measured value must be based on a calculated figure.

• Like 1

Can someone point me to what indicator there is that a regen is taking place?

Had a citroen years ago that did something similar and that was obvious due to noise and smell.

Not noticed the superb doing it even once - car is 14 months old and at 16k miles.

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Denmark is a very small country by population. I'd rather look at UK, German and French sites, Briskoda is actually not bad for this.

The only reason why I still have the 1.6CR is because having bought it new, it makes little financial sense to get rid of it (or the DPF) while in warranty.

Plus I have several days worth of mods on it and am in no mood to repeat that just yet. Roomster is a great family car otherwise. As soon as DPF shows even a hint of problem after warranty, either DPF will be gone or the car will be gone.

At least I can admit I spent a lot of money for a less than perfect engine that's substantially worse than old 1.9 in town driving, while it seems to be impossible for you.

No, it seems that in case of 1.6CRs they are mostly EGT (exhaust gas temperature) sensor failures. Could be variable quality EGT sensor supplier to factory, rather than any serious design issue.

Denmark might be a small country, but we have a lot of 1.6 TDI´s, since big-engined cars are to expensive over here.

You are the one being stubbard here. Why should I admit a "problem", that does not exist?