Daylight revisited

I have asked question about the daylight running lights before, only now i am in possession of my lovely new scout fabia it has no daylight lights lit up? Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks

Have you received an older model as in post #17, rather than the new version as shown in the brochure linked in #18?

http://www.briskoda....ylight-foglight

Lets us know if this is another brochure error like with the vRS where it says there are foglights, when actually just DRL's

(or are they wanting people to run with the fog lights on during the day as DRL's.)

george

Where is the switch that turns these on, on a Scout, is it by pulling out the sidelight/headlight switch and does the rear fog come on with the front ones, or separate switches/positions?

Hi George, I am going to have to experiment with the headlight/foglight switches and see what they do. There is no switch as suggested by JerryT but the skoda website stated clearly the scout had drl's.

Only realised after a couple of days that lights weren't coming on automatically during the day. hmm.

Don't like the idea of running the fog lights during the day if this is what they are suggesting. Surely drl's use a negligible amount of energy and fog lights wouldn't?

Certainly not suggesting using fogs in daytime..

Just interested in what the Skoda Brochure is saying/meaning and if these are fitted as worded in the bochure.

You obviously have never read my other anti-'cornering fog' posts/rants and also about 'cornering DRL's',

& I really can not stand these cars now with DRL's or sidelight on with Fogs also on. Daytime & clear weather/visibility time.

When there is no FOG, or Sidelights & Fog lights when a bit of fog.

I never understand why they think Fog lights are needed but not also Dipped beam.

(not getting into the Dipped beam stopping the driver seeing, not talking No vision pea souper Fog here.)

I have always had the vRS DRL's switched off,

but often run with Dipped beam and side lights on because i like rear lights on.

The vRS Sidelights are the DRL's but less bright and less offensive to many drivers,

actually a vRS driver can have sidelights on during the day and no one knows really if its the Sidelights or DRL's other than the tailights are on.

(that can be set to happen with vag-com anyway.)

The 'Subaru XV' now has DRL's that operate also as Fog lights, or so the brochure says, not checked yet.

Subaru brochure says.

"Foglamps. Multi-reflector fog lamps also serve as daytime running lights, and emit a wide, flat beam that reflects less glare in fog, for added safety."

keen to see just what they are, they look to me just like lit as DRL's or as Fogs..

george

This is what standard vRS sidelights look like on with dipped beam.

this is not on as DRL's

I have asked question about the daylight running lights before, only now i am in possession of my lovely new scout fabia it has no daylight lights lit up? Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks

I don't think you read my reply on the previous thread. As I said before, my scout delivered this last december does not have daylight running lights, but it does have daylight lights - a third bulb in the headlight area which comes on as a sort of side light automatically as with old Volvos when during the day they were always flashed for having lights on.The specification on the scout DOES NOT have daylight running lights - the spec on the Skoda website for the Fabia Scout is wrong as also is the quoted spec for the computer being MAXIDOT. The maxidot is an extra which you will see in the Fabia brochure priced as an extra when ordering.

• Like 1

Hi, Thanks for the replies. I'm a little confused by it all. I understood from your earlier response Bazzabee that there were no drl's in the foglight but the problem/query i have is that there is no daylight light on any other part of the car's headlight set up. Do yours come on automatically on your headlight without having a switch flicked somewhere to enable it? It's not that i'm at all bothered about having them, i am just trying to understand what is and isn't on my new car.

• Like 1

Hi, Thanks for the replies. I'm a little confused by it all. I understood from your earlier response Bazzabee that there were no drl's in the foglight but the problem/query i have is that there is no daylight light on any other part of the car's headlight set up. Do yours come on automatically on your headlight without having a switch flicked somewhere to enable it? It's not that i'm at all bothered about having them, i am just trying to understand what is and isn't on my new car.

Switch on your ignition without starting the engine, get out of the car and look at your headlights - one of the three lights I mentioned should be on automatically even when you have not turned on the lights themselves. If nothing has happened then see your dealer because it has been law for a while now that all new cars should have the facility to show day lighting. If the lights don't come on just switching on, start the engine and have a look again.

Edited by bazzabee

The law about 'Daytime lights'/ 'Daytime Running Lights' (DRL's) coming on is for 'New Type approved cars' after February 2011. 'Manufacturers needing to fit them.

This is not the Mk2 Fabia. Scout or any other mk2 Fabias.

So that 'law' is not relevant really.

Question really is, are they installed/fitted and if they are, are they working or disabled by error or lack of understanding at the PDI..

?? How do you switch on the front Fog Lights fitted to a Mk2 Fabia Scout?

DapperFrancis.

Is there a Switch behind a panel that my or may not Inhibit/disable/switch off DRL's function if you car has come with them fitted?

What does the 'Owners Handbook' that came with the car say,

or is it the same handbook that has been out since 2010 or older and never up-dated?

george

• Like 1

The law about 'Daytime lights'/ 'Daytime Running Lights' (DRL's) coming on is for 'New Type approved cars' after February 2011. 'Manufacturers needing to fit them.

This is not the Mk2 Fabia. Scout or any other mk2 Fabias.

So that 'law' is not relevant really.

Question really is, are they installed/fitted and if they are, are they working or disabled by error or lack of understanding at the PDI..

?? How do you switch on the front Fog Lights fitted to a Mk2 Fabia Scout?

DapperFrancis.

Is there a Switch behind a panel that my or may not Inhibit/disable/switch off DRL's function if you car has come with them fitted?

What does the 'Owners Handbook' that came with the car say,

or is it the same handbook that has been out since 2010 or older and never up-dated?

george

Sorry about the law requirement quote, but my Scout is fitted with the facility as should Dapperfrancis's. The latest Fabia manual is dated 11-2012 which mine is.

I'd love to figure this out. Firstly there is no switch on the fuse panel. Also no daylight light comes on when I turn the engine on?

The Manual mentions the switch which is not present but no other explanation as to how i could get daylight lights on.

It would seem odd to not have DRL's when Bazzabee's slightly older scout has them?

• 1 year later...

Hello All

sorry to reopen this thread.

I have a fabia scout and have the optional DRL fitted.  The DRL's are on permanently..... When the headlight/side lights are off the DRL are on but when I turn the side lights or dipped headlights on the DRL are still on.

Is this standard on other forum members scouts or do their DRL turn off when the headlights are on.

Thank You

Edited by automag

Are they on at the same brightness when the Sidelight or headlights go on?

No idea about the Scout,

but on any car,

the DRL's should dim when not being used as Daylight/Daytime Running Lights.

That is if they do not go off.

As to the switch in the Fuse box...

I don't think they are allowed to fit it anymore!, I know the Law on DRL's is for Post Feb 2013 'Designed' cars, but I think there is also a law or maybe just a rule, that states cars (from a certain date) that have DRL's fitted MUST have them illuminated during the daytime, so they've taken away the capability of turning them off (unless you pull the Fuse which also controls the Stop/Start if fitted)...

I could be wrong though!! :)

What type of DRL's would the scout have?? would it be the Circular LED ones from the VRS or the P21W type in the same cluster with the H8/11 Fogs as with my Greenline??

Aren't the VRS Circular LED's a combination of DRL/Sidelight and Fog? of have I misread that somewhere!! :D

The P21W type on my Greenline automatically turn on with the ignition (accessory stop) and the moment I turn my Sides/Mains on the DRL's switch off!!

Edited by Simoneale1973

Hi, as far as I know the scout models with DRL use the same unit as on the VRS so they will light up all the time as even if turned off with the fuse box switch they will come on as sidelights with the headlights etc. 

Hope it helps 

David 

Hello thank you for the replies...

The LED drl's are the 4 leds in a circular light cluster. They do not dim when the headlights are on dipped, main or side.

As standard the scout has fog lights but we paid for the up-grade and had the LED DRLs fitted and they replace the fog lights. The light switch does not have a front fog position just the standard. Off, side, dipped and main beam and if you pull the switch out it illuminates the rear fog. So when you have you lights on it looks like you have your fogs on all the time

Thanks

Ant