Windscreen hit by something big.

Will be having a search when ihave calmed down,

Just had my windscreen taken out by something big, thrown up from a car in front or lost from the car.

A nice big circular chunk 4"-6" removed from the top laminate with a perfect circle untouched in the middle.

Its too dark to have a proper look at the rest of the car I think it missed the bodywork.

Elegance 08, anything to look out for in getting it replaced, we have the rain and light sensors.

Call yoyr insurer and check with them if your winscreen covered. If its a replacnent normaly pay a 70quid excess but just a repair its free. Then phone auto glass and they will sort rest out. They have fairly experianced workmen and they know how to work round things like light and rain sensor.

Thanks that was the plan it has been ok in the past on previous vehicles allthough the last repair on a side window I did myself with part from the scrappers cheaper than the excess.

I seem to remember someone having an issue getting one done so was going to search to check what I need to look out for.

Edited by P&N

Seems to be a 50% chance of them turning up with the wrong windscreen. One is easier to get so tell them the exact description . Mine is a grey top tint wirh a screen printed darker area above the mirror plus wiper sensors. Made by Guardian.

Fitting went well at work but I'd to keep the car under cover for 3 hours- lucky I could but what do you do otherwise?

Beware of them scratching your A pillars as they remove or install the new one. I had terrible trouble with National windscreens.....Put the screen in incorrectly leveled etc. They then removed, installed another, on which the screen already had chips and scratches. Third time lucky it was ok...but the screen must have been a cheap one since it stone chipped SO easily after that. Will never use them again.

You ticket clip will most likely get broken, or need slight adjustment with the new screen too. Make sure they take time to install the rain sensor correctly too, so it sits level and flush etc. Give that a good test.

I went independent the next time. They did a much better job too. I did help the installer with putting the new screen back in though. It's quite a job for one man on his own to install a screen with out scratching or getting it misaligned before the sealant grabs hold!

To be fair it is one of those jobs where you will find the odd scuff or bits of glass during the aftermath :)

Best of luck!

Autoglass changed the one in my old car. It was £50 then. Did an excellent job, guy was very conscientious. When I rang to arrange details, they were concerned that I had somewhere to work under cover. In the event it wasn't necessary. No mess or bits glass that I found.

Agreed, the screen does chip easily. The one replaced above, was chipped again within weeks when an overtaker swished across the little berm that collects in the road after that silly "resurfacing" . Hurumph.

THanks guys booked for next week direct line(£75) so autoglass

There are a few threads covering varios points and suppliers.Looks like the key things are,Alignment,sensors,clip,protecting the rest of the car.Query under cover(they did not ask)

Its been ok for the 30k it has done no chips but this is a bit more than a chip.Quite a scare seeing something coming towards you in the dark at 70

post-64046-0-00322000-1363180810_thumb.jpg

Make sure you check there is no distortion round the edge of the new windscreen. I have had their 3rd party windsceens fitted before and eventually after 3 or 4 screens, they got a proper manufacturer screen (renault and vauxhall) and it was fine.

Dave

Always insist on a genuine OEM screen, cheap pattern screens will have the wrong tint and scratch easily. Find out the part number for your screen and check it matches up with the screen they fit.

Wow that must have been loud. Did it damage anything else? Quite lucky if not as that looks like it could have done some serious damage to bodywork etc and would have been a lot more complicated/expensive to fix. Good luck with the screen