APR or Shark

Your not the first or the last customer that has old man syndrome

I've had many on test drive that change gear as turbo starts to spool !! Yes response is better and so is pull but if you was to give it large as they say that's when you would notice it night and day

Some people just don't drive fast or drive hard

I can pop up next week and take you for a spin ;-) and show you the difference lol but need to avoid that road with craters in lol

Ha ha. Don't make a specific trip Clive. The drive is nicer now, just means I need to change my driving habits maybe! I haven't been in the car properly without the little one in there, so haven't pushed it yet.

You will notice it when pushing but in reality the difference your seeing in pull and smoothness is what you look for

No need to change driving habits you have children and have no need to prove how fast the car can be

Just enjoy knowing its there when needed buddy

You'll notice it most when overtaking on a single carriageway, much as you try you'll inadvertently give it full throttle and not change up until after you've completed the manoeuvre.

Then post your findings!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Clive - Sorry to hi jack this thread but I have a cr170 and according to your web site with stage 1 it will go to 180 whereas the shark web site states 205. Can you clarify for me please?

Thanks

Brett

Edited by Brettreading

No worries....I thought it was a little odd as every other site I looked at quoted 205. I won't be going for a remap until my 3 year servicing and warranty is up but will certainly being doing it when it is.

• Like 1

Shark, small company and so have great customer service, you can talk to the person who creates the maps, and always available at the end of the phone if you have any queries.

APR, a large company based in the USA. Whilst you can talk to the person who applied the map at their agent, you cannot get to talk to the person who creates the maps in the USA.

Oh boy! Has Mikko moved to England and now calibrating from Shark's HQ?

If it's absolutely essential to speak with the person who created the calibration for your car I can get you in touch. Or you can talk to me directly--I'm well versed with the ins and outs of our calibrations too :)

For reference, we have two offices. Our main HQ is in USA and our second office is right here in the UK. Mannyo it sounds like you've probably never tried to reach out to us, because like any respectable company, we pick up our phones too haha :p

There is what can only be described as vicious hand-to-hand combat on the Audi TT forums where people have had their cars mapped at APR and had issues. There is a guy on there who (voluntarily) has had his car at APR in Milton Keynes for almost a year and it's only just running now. Not finished - just running in after something (they won't say what, but it must have been bad) required a complete engine build.

Maybe they're great, maybe they're not. What I do know is I have Ben Wardle's mobile number and he ALWAYS picks up, and he ALWAYS talks sense. I've taken my cars up there for work other tuners won't do because it's too much hassle or because no-one as done it before. Shark are quite happy to do ANYTHING a customer asks (that won't damage the car). It's not always the cheapest, and they don't always finish it on day one, but they've never taken my car off the road for a year and I always end up grinning and shaking everyone warmly by the hand. And I don't get special treatment by any stretch of the imagination.

If you go APR, you'll doubtless get a decent remap. If you go Shark, you're likely to end up another Shark evangelist!

This is an interesting, albeit unfair account of APR when taken out of context. For over a year we've been developing a TTRS stage 3 kit. In that time, we've tested three different turbochargers and two different configurations (internal and external wastegates). This in-house engineered and developed kit has investment cast inconel bits, a Garrett GTX turbocharger with V-band connections, a Tial external wastegate and all of the latest trick kit we could get our hands on. One of our eager customers with extra resources and time burn approached us with intent to get his hands on one of these kits--to be a part of the development process and his car has been with us for a majority of this time. He's had it a few times to set some unrivaled quarter mile (11.3sec) and 0-60 (2.8sec) times. As you can imagine, developing a 600bhp kit is not an overnight process, and not one that most other tuners in this industry can claim to do.

I sometimes find it difficult to represent APR as an upstanding company in the Shark infested waters of Briskoda when claims like the above are being made. Here's my UK mobile number 07730 134 703 and my email [email protected]. We, too, will do anything we can to accommodate our customers and provide the best possible service.

Sippo, I see it's a bit late to encourage you to try both software companies, but to anybody debating between the two companies... TRY BOTH! We have a 30 day money back guarantee on our software to help your comparison. Take it. Drive it. If you don't like it, return it and that's that. :)

Very, very low

Is that the best you can come up with?

Sarcasm, lowest form of wit etc etc etc :(

Very, very low

Is that the best you can come up with?

Sarcasm, lowest form of wit etc etc etc :(

How is that low? Mannyo claimed you can speak to the person who calibrates Sharks maps. How is that possible Mikko lives in Finland (last I heard)?

How is that low? Mannyo claimed you can speak to the person who calibrates Sharks maps. How is that possible if he lives in Finland (last I heard)?

And where exactly do your map WRITERS live? (When I say exactly, I'm not wanting their addresses, before you ask the question)

You may not know, but I believe Mikko does actually spend a fair amount of time in the UK, albeit he is a bit of a globetrotter

And where exactly do your map WRITERS live? (When I say exactly, I'm not wanting their addresses, before you ask the question)

You may not know, but I believe Mikko does actually spend a fair amount of time in the UK, albeit he is a bit of a globetrotter

We have four. Three of them at our HQ in USA, and a third right here in Europe, who travels to us in Milton Keynes monthly to work on a few RoW-specific projects.

That's fair if Mikko spends a lot of time in the UK--I think he may actually be in Slough at the moment, but that's irrelevant. The bottom line is that Ben is not the calibrator for Shark, despite the implications of the post I commented on.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing that Mikko writes their maps. In fact, I've had a few exchanges with him and he seems to be very switched on. Just don't imply he's a full time employee of Shark that can be found there, on-site, 8 days a week and expect everybody to believe that :)

You're not exactly Mr Current Affairs are you Evan? Mikko moved here last February, not that it makes a difference.

• Like 2

Its a fair point though Bryan.

When my Octavia Shark stage 3 map was developed when Shark Performance first came into being, Mikko was mapping my car from abroad. Ben logged the car (with me driving it) the logs were then sent via the net to Mikko for him to send an adjsyted map back, ben would then upload the new file, we'd log it again and repeat it over and over again. That Octavia had multiple development maps put on it alot of which didnt work and weren't proven on a dyno, but on the road. I ended up running the stage 2 setup in the end!! Same deal with Muckipups vRS stage 3 as well. Same thing with the Fabia, it was all done remotely.

Edit: Wasnt aware he'd moved here now, but my experience is the same none the less.

Waffle

Just don't imply he's a full time employee of Shark that can be found there, on-site, 8 days a week and expect everybody to believe that :)

He actually is, works here, based here, he even answers the phone and speaks to customers. He spends time elsewhere in the world sometimes, mainly Finland or the USA (might want to keep an eye out there Evan, you never know what Shark might be doing next...) and I run the operation here. And I'm quite capable of writing a map when Mikko's not around, too.

Hope that clears things up, not that it's really anyone else's business.

Stuff

That's before we were who we are now Sy. Before we had dealers and before we had plans to annoy big companies like APR. Completely different ballgame now.

• Like 1

Its a fair point though Bryan.

Edit: Wasnt aware he'd moved here now, but my experience is the same none the less.

I wasn't the one who asserted Mikko was here 100%, but it was equally wrong of Evan to suggest he was never, or very rarely here

He was certainly here when my 1.6 CR Tdi map was conceived, for which I shall be eternally grateful

He actually is, works here, based here, he even answers the phone and speaks to customers. He spends time elsewhere in the world sometimes, mainly Finland or the USA (might want to keep an eye out there Evan, you never know what Shark might be doing next...) and I run the operation here. And I'm quite capable of writing a map when Mikko's not around, too.

Hope that clears things up, not that it's really anyone else's business.

That's the thing; I don't understand why people would need direct access to the calibrators in the first place.

Having him there now will be a big benefit for you guys. Good stuff!

I wasn't the one who asserted Mikko was here 100%, but it was equally wrong of Evan to suggest he was never, or very rarely here

I never said he was rarely or never there, lol! I ASKED if he had moved there! Which you assumed was sarcasm and now Shark has answered my question. End of story. Hilarious.