Fabia comparison. 1.4 16v vs. 1.9 TDi

Well, having had two courtesey cars in the past two weeks (darned rattles!), I can now compare the two engines. Both cars were Ambiente Estates in Stone Grey, the diesel (05 plate) had 5500 miles on the clock, and the petrol (54 plate) just 4200 miles.

Well, before the engine, I reckon the estate is a bloody brilliant, versatile car. It doesn't feel any different from the hatch to drive, and the boot is positively huge. Ambiente seems like a pretty decent spec too. Air con, electric windows and mirrors, remote central locking, CD player etc. The seat materials and the door cards of of a brilliant quality too - seem much more durable than the vRS ones. The dash does seem a little too plain though - I prefer the new material and the glitzy bits in the vRS. I'd also recommed the leather pack - the plastic gear knob and steering wheel don't feel too great. The stone grey is a lovely colour (why such a limited choice for the vRS :( ).

The suspension seems really smooth on both cars, absorbing bumps and potholes well, yet still cornering pretty good too. I'm sure the massive profile tyres help loads in the comfort stakes! The diesel (1.9 TDi 100bhp) seems more planted, but slightly less agile. The steering is a little more precise on the 1.4 too. Also, the brakes on both cars are great, the 1.4 16v (100bhp) seeming to bite better at first, but overall the brakes seeming equally powerful on both cars. I can only put all this down to the sheer weight of the diesel lump.

Regarding the engines, the 1.9TDi is a VERY capable engine. The gearing is sensible, and effortless progress can be made by using the torque thats available low down in the rev range. The 1.4 16v is lively when revved, but seems to lack low down grunt. The clutch on the 1.4 is also very light compared to the diesel's.

The refinement of both cars is good. The engine noise on the petrol is barely audible in town (it has a nice hummm), but is quite harsh at higher speeds imo. The opposite in the case of the diesel, noisy round town but really quiet on the motorway.

The fuel economy on the 1.4 was just over 40mpg mixed town and motorway, and the 1.9 - 61mpg on the same run! :eek:

To conclude, I think the Fabia Ambiente estate is a great car, but the engines are very different. If I spent most of my time around town, the petrol would get my vote, as the engine is quiet and the clutch is really easy to control. I doubt there is any difference in economy around town either. For those drivers like myself that live out of town, and spend 15,000 miles a year on the motorway, the diesel wins hands down, with the effortless power and extra refinement being worth every penny of the

I have the vRS and my girlfriend runs the 1.4 16v Hatch, we do practically the same drives round town/countryside. She is forever cursing me on my fuel efficiency. Neither of us really hold back with the cars, so it's not that. But I do think the diesel is coming over a lot better fuel wise!

Thanks for the informative review.

:thumbup:

Well, having had two courtesey cars in the past two weeks (darned rattles!), I can now compare the two engines. Both cars were Ambiente Estates in Stone Grey, the diesel (05 plate) had 5500 miles on the clock, and the petrol (54 plate) just 4200 miles.

Well, before the engine, I reckon the estate is a bloody brilliant, versatile car. It doesn't feel any different from the hatch to drive, and the boot is positively huge. Ambiente seems like a pretty decent spec too. Air con, electric windows and mirrors, remote central locking, CD player etc. The seat materials and the door cards of of a brilliant quality too - seem much more durable than the vRS ones. The dash does seem a little too plain though - I prefer the new material and the glitzy bits in the vRS. I'd also recommed the leather pack - the plastic gear knob and steering wheel don't feel too great. The stone grey is a lovely colour (why such a limited choice for the vRS :( ).

The suspension seems really smooth on both cars, absorbing bumps and potholes well, yet still cornering pretty good too. I'm sure the massive profile tyres help loads in the comfort stakes! The diesel (1.9 TDi 100bhp) seems more planted, but slightly less agile. The steering is a little more precise on the 1.4 too. Also, the brakes on both cars are great, the 1.4 16v (100bhp) seeming to bite better at first, but overall the brakes seeming equally powerful on both cars. I can only put all this down to the sheer weight of the diesel lump.

Regarding the engines, the 1.9TDi is a VERY capable engine. The gearing is sensible, and effortless progress can be made by using the torque thats available low down in the rev range. The 1.4 16v is lively when revved, but seems to lack low down grunt. The clutch on the 1.4 is also very light compared to the diesel's.

The refinement of both cars is good. The engine noise on the petrol is barely audible in town (it has a nice hummm), but is quite harsh at higher speeds imo. The opposite in the case of the diesel, noisy round town but really quiet on the motorway.

The fuel economy on the 1.4 was just over 40mpg mixed town and motorway, and the 1.9 - 61mpg on the same run! :eek:

To conclude, I think the Fabia Ambiente estate is a great car, but the engines are very different. If I spent most of my time around town, the petrol would get my vote, as the engine is quiet and the clutch is really easy to control. I doubt there is any difference in economy around town either. For those drivers like myself that live out of town, and spend 15,000 miles a year on the motorway, the diesel wins hands down, with the effortless power and extra refinement being worth every penny of the

I am biased but I would have to agree with you! The diesel does very well for this car and the estate makes a huge difference. I am also loving the regular 60+mpg. I bought a Comfort second hand with 2200 miles on the clock and my only grumble is that I have no A/C- but I needed the car quickly so that was down to me. Otherwise I love it. The engine is still loosening (now have 6700 miles) and often suprises me considering it looks quite tame from the outside. You really can feel the diesel lump bouncing the front over bumps though- it just feels heavy and could probably handle some eibachs.

I think it would make for a cool remap car- utterly suprising!! I wonder if they will ever make a vRS version- I reckon it could sell really well.

I am biased but I would have to agree with you! The diesel does very well for this car and the estate makes a huge difference. I am also loving the regular 60+mpg. I bought a Comfort second hand with 2200 miles on the clock and my only grumble is that I have no A/C- but I needed the car quickly so that was down to me. Otherwise I love it. The engine is still loosening (now have 6700 miles) and often suprises me considering it looks quite tame from the outside. You really can feel the diesel lump bouncing the front over bumps though- it just feels heavy and could probably handle some eibachs.

I think it would make for a cool remap car- utterly suprising!! I wonder if they will ever make a vRS version- I reckon it could sell really well.

I must say that if they offered the vRS package (same styling, spec etc, but maybe the 5 speed box) with the 100 TDi for a grand less I'd have had it. The fuel economy is remarkable with that engine, and it performs really well!

Thinking about it, this is what the sport should have been! :rolleyes:

I too agree that a sportier estate would sell quite well, but us hatch owners wouldn't be too keen on an estate version I'm sure!

Yeah the mongrel, not the pure pedigree's though :P

:( GrrrrrRRRRUFFF!

:rofl:

I have to say though that I ran a TDI in standard form for nigh on two years before discovering Briskoda. :rolleyes: and it was a damn good car.

I'm glad my review has been so well received. Just waiting for all the 1.4 16v owners to beat me with a big stick... I'd quite like to try the 2.0 now though, but they seem pretty rare (understandably tbh).

The 5 speed box is great - well ratiod imo. Not as slick as the 6er though! :thumbup: The gearbox is one of the nicest things about the vRS. Just feels so plush!

I'm definitely a diesel convert now! Decided to push my car to the max tonight as its nice and cool, and I have a PD160 intake and Green fitted now! Can't believe how fast it is flat out. I know indicated is different from actual, but WOW! :thumbup:

When I go to work in the Fabia I can easily beat 60mpg. If I drive like a Vicar I can crack 70mpg.

Home to work is currently an 18 mile A and B road run. :)

Octavia does about 5mpg less.

Even when standard the PD100 Furby suprises reps, pull out at 50mph in fourth to overtake and it will surge past slower traffic. Most people don't expect a lowly, wheel trimmed, Fabia to have the same torque as most V6 petrol repmobiles. :)

Cheers

Lee

... I'd quite like to try the 2.0 now though' date=' but they seem pretty rare (understandably tbh).

[/quote']

Yes we do like to keep a low profile...we are an eccentric bunch :rofl:

I'm not eccentric relative to you :rofl: I meant that 2.0 owners are eccentric!!! We are the high-class quick non-taka taka group man!!!! :rofl:

Interesting review.

I bought a new estate last year, the Elegance with all the bits - cruise, heated sets etc. Chose the 1.4/100 after much deliberation - didn't think the 2.0 petrol was worth the extra cost, insurance and fuel consumption. The diesel sounded and felt a bit harsh. But the 1.4 is very peaky - you need to keep the revs well up and then it goes well. With a load in the back it's decidedly lacking in urge and I have regretted not getting the diesel, especially after driving another one recently.

The estate really does have useful space in the back and seems to hold the road better half loaded than empty.

A VRS estate would be great and if the 2007 range includes one I'll be first in the queue.

Sal

I don't know what kind of 2.0 you drove over there, Ive driven the 100BHP 1.4 many times and it isn't what most briskodians are making it out to be...the 2.0 is nice, it's lovely and very smooth...ha.