An alternative to Wheeler Dealers?

littleade

Just watched an episode of that fast and loud it's actually quite good lol not usually a fan of American stuff but the episode I watched was good (mustang) feel sorry for the bloke mind (won't spoil it lol but watch it!)

Mike Brewer Motors is the lovechild of Mike himself, but strangely no Edd China doing the monkey work, been open about a month now.

What gets me with WD is they very often do things on the cheap to save money and increase their ficticious profit so I wonder if people will stand on the forecourt and wonder if the same approach has been taken for real :think:

• Like 1

I enjoyed the TVR episode too. I have always liked the Cerbera and I always thought they looked cheap in the classifieds. How many of them out there have rotten chassis I wonder? Thing with TVRs is they are fine cars but the quality control and corner cutting at TVR was truly shocking :(

• 2 weeks later...

what made me laugh was when Mike said about tvr relaibility.....ERRRR WHAT????

i used to work across from the tvr main service depot in kent, and i knew the service manager, he told me they were some of the most unreliable cars he had ever worked on, proven by the amount of cars i kept seeing back in time and time again!

what made me laugh was when Mike said about tvr relaibility.....ERRRR WHAT????

i used to work across from the tvr main service depot in kent, and i knew the service manager, he told me they were some of the most unreliable cars he had ever worked on, proven by the amount of cars i kept seeing back in time and time again!

My next door neighbour has owned two Cerbera's (sp) and not had a problem with them. Admittedly he used them as his daily driver (whatever the weather including snow). His thought on the reliability he achieved was the fact that they were driven daily rather than being a garage queen.

Seen Mike's new series 'Trading up'. Tuesday at 9 on Discovery

Oh, and he is going round the world. Last week India, this week the UK. He is trying to buy a super car starting with $3500.00

Not a big fan of trading up as it all seems fixed and contrived especially in India where you can bet your ass he was following a load of researchers and fixers. I am getting to like car sos more and more though. I like the worthy cause aspect of it and Fuzz seems a really nice bloke like Edd (although the format is virtually a WD copy).

As to the TVR I am sure the engines are reliable if used but that chassis rot is pretty worrying.

My next door neighbour has owned two Cerbera's (sp) and not had a problem with them. Admittedly he used them as his daily driver (whatever the weather including snow). His thought on the reliability he achieved was the fact that they were driven daily rather than being a garage queen.

lucky guy as they are nice cars, am just going on what the service manager at tvr told me at the time!

trading up is terrible....and whats with them keep quoting dollars...clearly they wanna sell the prog to the us market, or it was made for them to start with..

lucky guy as they are nice cars, am just going on what the service manager at tvr told me at the time!

trading up is terrible....and whats with them keep quoting dollars...clearly they wanna sell the prog to the us market, or it was made for them to start with..

Ive been watching trading up & quoting dollars is doing my head in as well,last night was the first time ive seen mike brewer get his hands dirty doing the seat re-cover!

Ive been watching trading up & quoting dollars is doing my head in as well,last night was the first time ive seen mike brewer get his hands dirty doing the seat re-cover!

The dollar bit did not really bother me last week from the first episode in India, just thought it was a way of normalising the currency. But having now seen part two from the UK and everything is in dollars, I had exactly the same thought 'made for the US market'. Watching Mike sweat over that car seat (i doubt he did both) had me thinking of Ed and all the hard work he puts in on WD.

I guess his final destination will be the good ol US of A. Next weeks from Sweden could be good seeing as how mad they are for US cars (as seen in Fifth Gear, fast 'n' loud, and Desert valley cars.

+1 on this. I started to watch the initial episode as I was on holiday last week and when he started to look at that car the Indian dealer wouldn't even let him test drive and he started coming out with his cheesy quotes I gave the whole series the heave ho!

• 2 years later...

The Garage re-surfaced on Quest last night.

Love the programme - I used to work (40 odd years ago) with a guy like Jock, and it brought it all flooding back.

Great fun watching him trying to fit a new set of points to the MG, and then comparing it to the PC analysis of the Beemer How quickly we forget things that a few years ago we would have done in our sleep, and become dependent on technology instead.

I always get a good laugh ( and find it appalling) that a so called old Pro ( can forgive the kids for not knowing) has forgotten so much of older cars electrics that he must have learned as a trainee. The points on the MG had a s/c on them, something Jock failed to spot. And then they went to the expense of a new set of SU carbs for it, when I ( and most other older folks) would have tried changing the jet needles( which are the main cause of wear ) .

Thread revival and OT.

Wheeler Dealers tonight is maybe worth the watching,

seeing as it is a BMW M5.

Quest @ 9.00 PM,

Quest +1 10.00 PM.

Quest for ever and ever from now on, probably.

Was it the one that a bloke that sold it to him took the beemer on as part of a debt? The Scooby one was a good view too as Ed was getting to grips with changing the clutch and I think I've watched them all a number of times now as they're regularly on Discovery channel. I quite liked the last 2 series doing up the yank tanks with the Ford Mustang being my favourite.

Just watched the M5 Wheeler Dealer episode on-line and am reminded of just how good that E39 M5 was. Not only a stonking, naturally aspirated V8, but probably the last seriously good looking car BMW made.

A friend had one from new in topaz blue with grey leather and it was stunning and very fast!

Another problem with this sort of program ( and others on other topics, such as Homes under the hammer) is that a lot of wide guys will get the idea of picking up something with naff body work ( and other problems) and just clean/tidy up the bodywork. . Then they stick car on some street corner ,pretending to be a private seller, so that joe public can buy a car with problems, but seller is seen as private seller.