Servicing - fixed or variable?

Ooopnorth

Sorry if I'm reopening an already well aired topic of discussion, but the search facility on the Yeti thread didn't identify anything.

My 1.8 TSI 4x4 is coming up to 9,500 on the clock, and the variable service indicator is suggesting another 495 days before the service is due. You probably already know what I'm thinking - is it better to go for a fixed 10,000 mile service or stick with the variable? Being a traditional kind of chappie (i.e. cloth cap, plus-fours, Union-Jack undies; given to 'benign' bouts in incidental sexism; etc.) I'm a little uneasy at this new fangled variable servicing thingy. What are the comparative advantages and/or disadvantages of fixed vs variable servicing please?

Depends on the type of driving/mileage you do. I have usually done pretty high mileage (25k+ a year) and a lot of motorway or other long distance, fastish driving. The variable servicing suited me. Others who do low mileages and a lot of town driving prefer fixed. I've now retired and my annual mileage is likely to halve or even more ... so I'm thinking of switching from the next service (which will be in about 4k miles at about 56k miles total).

I am on variable and only do 9,000 miles pa. My logic is that our fabia does 95% of our urban driving and if the indictor says 495 days I don't in any event have to wait that long. :)

Our Octavia is on variable as I can cover 25k per year with it, but the Yeti which I assume will only do around 8k per year is on fixed. I would assume on a small yearly mlilage the service will still be a neccessary due to contamination of oils etc. over the 12 month period. I also got a three x free service deal, and if on variable would probably only see one sevice over the three years

I was in same situation at 9500 miles. I changed the oil and filter at the local garage down the road (brilliant garage but cheap) simply to put my mind at rest. It worked (it put my mind at rest). Car now due it's 1st service at 18800 miles or Mid May (it says)

Thanks for all of your thoughts so far.

I average about 16 - 18,000 pa and most (70%) of this driving is on B roads, the occasional A, but with very little urban driving and on motorways less than a dozen times a year. Never (knowingly!) off road, but lots in the hilly Pennines and Lakes areas, plus trips north of the Border, again rural and mountainous. I'm not quite so worried about the financial aspects of servicing (the Yeti is my joy and it gets 5star treatment whenever possible). Not sure if this is a factor too, but my intention is to keep it for many years (usually change my cars after about 140,000 miles), so I do have a concern with the vehicle's longevity too.

You say 495 days to service but how many miles are left on the service indicator?.

My car had 6300 miles and 18 days to service when I had it serviced and had the service changed from variable to fixed as I only do 3-4K miles per year and mostly town driving(short trips etc).

My 1.8Tsi 4x4 is about 15 months old and has done about 7000 miles (I have use of 2 other cars and a couple of motorcycles) which has been a mix of long distance and short (2-3 miles) trips although the bulk of the mileage has been longer journeys. A couple of weeks ago the display suddenly said it needed servicing in 2 days which seemed very short notice as well as being somewhat sooner than the 2 years/20k I was expecting. Anyway, called my local dealer and discussed options and then took it in a few days later (the car was now telling me a service was 5 days overdue) and agreed that they should do the first service and switch to annual servicing rather than variable. They did say that they had checked the car and the oil quality sensor (?) was saying that it needed a change. I was quite relaxed about this as the service was not too pricey and I was happy to get the car checked over after just over a year of use but I was surprised by the short distance I have traveled before being told I needed a service, and the lack of warning when it did happen.

My Yeti has done 72k miles and will be going for the fourth service in 2k miles, I will also have the car for 140k and this will be done in three years!

I am happy with variable servicing and this has been the norm on my last three cars.

As James above. I've done 61k miles in 3 years and just had the 3rd service done. I'm quite happy with variable servicing even though I'm used to "the old ways", but accept that modern engines with modern lubricants aren't like they used to be.

I would suggest that with the OP's type of useage variable serving is perfectly suitable

My 1.8Tsi 4x4 is about 15 months old and has done about 7000 miles (I have use of 2 other cars and a couple of motorcycles) which has been a mix of long distance and short (2-3 miles) trips although the bulk of the mileage has been longer journeys. A couple of weeks ago the display suddenly said it needed servicing in 2 days which seemed very short notice as well as being somewhat sooner than the 2 years/20k I was expecting. Anyway, called my local dealer and discussed options and then took it in a few days later (the car was now telling me a service was 5 days overdue) and agreed that they should do the first service and switch to annual servicing rather than variable. They did say that they had checked the car and the oil quality sensor (?) was saying that it needed a change. I was quite relaxed about this as the service was not too pricey and I was happy to get the car checked over after just over a year of use but I was surprised by the short distance I have traveled before being told I needed a service, and the lack of warning when it did happen.

I started to get the service due warning with 19 days remaining,surprised you only got 2 days warning. Edited by leckman

Not a fan of the variable myself and despite covering 13 - 15k a year (mainly rural A road with hills) the Monster is serviced on T&D. Yes probably more expensive but from a former aircraft engine fitters point of view regular TLC is a good thing, particularly with the state of the roads, changeable weather and the up and down dale driving pattern.

TP

Not a fan of the variable myself and despite covering 13 - 15k a year (mainly rural A road with hills) the Monster is serviced on T&D. Yes probably more expensive but from a former aircraft engine fitters point of view regular TLC is a good thing, particularly with the state of the roads, changeable weather and the up and down dale driving pattern.

TP

Doh!!! Just when I thought I'd got the decision fixed...I'm mean variable...I mean....arrrgh Looks like it's both then :)

I'm on fixed servicing. I do about 15-16,000 miles a year.

But, too much of my mileage is around London. Maybe 60-70%. So my engine will be running far longer than a vehicle doing the same mileage on motorways.

My lifetime average speed is in the low 20's last time I checked. A tankful of fuel generally lasts me about 18-23 hours of driving, which could be 3 times what a motorway/A/B road driven car would do.

I work it on the basis that plant machinery are serviced on the number of hours they are run, not on the mileage they do.

So I opted for fixed, which I changed on the day I collected my car.

The other day I went into London and out into the countryside and did 60 miles. The next day I was in London all day and did about 60 miles as well. It took me many more hours to drive that day!

:lol:

Sent using whatever device I'm using at the time.