Columbus

Rgh999

A sat nav dilemma, that hopefully someone can answer.

I am about to take delivery of a 2012 Yeti 170 elegance fitted with standard Bolero I believe it's called. It also has the phone bluetooth module installed.

I am considering this item.

Skoda Columbus RNS510 MFD3 SW4120 V9 satnav navigation Octavia Superb Fabia Yeti

NO BATTERY DRAIN * V9 MAPS +SPEED CAMS

I have scoured the forum and would like confirmation of the following.

1 Is it a straight swap and do all steering wheel controls etc work seamlessly.

2Do I need to purchase a faceplate. If so which one and where from.

3 It comes with a GPS antenna. Does this just install under the dash

4 Does the vehicle then have to be recoded.

5 Will Skoda dealers do this work and rough estimate of time and costs involved

6 if I use an I phone and want to link in via steering wheel do i need to purchase anything else. If so what is the unit needed and will that need to have the vehicle coded again, in which case best to do it all at once.

Finally anyone in South Wales can help/ recommend someone to do this retrofit.

Sorry for all the questions and I know some people will think why not just buy a windscreen unit but I prefer to go down this road if I can keep costs reasonable.

The no battery drain bit worries me, that means its not running a factory standard firmware but a hacked version which may not be compatible with the Yeti gateway. The factory maps do not have speed cams either, so again this is a hacked maps DVD.

I guess this is from the bay from eastern europe where most of the units on sale are from a dubious origin. There are some genuine ones though and its not always possible to tell.

Just be aware that if you buy it, you could possibly be helping the criminal trade in the most stolen headunit to date. You will most likely also have to update the firmware to a factory standard one, and not the hacked non battery drain version.

1 Is it a straight swap and do all steering wheel controls etc work seamlessly.

Straight swap, but to get the steering controls and Maxidot (if you have it) to work correctly the car will need to be coded with VCDS to tell it a navigation system is fitted.

2Do I need to purchase a faceplate. If so which one and where from.

Not for the yeti, I don't think.

3 It comes with a GPS antenna. Does this just install under the dash

Install this under the upper centre vent box, on the metal crosss member. You'll need to carefully remove the vents and storage compartment.

4 Does the vehicle then have to be recoded.

Not essential, but some functionality may not work until it has been.

5 Will Skoda dealers do this work and rough estimate of time and costs involved

Most likely not, easy to do DIY. If the dealer does this and the unit is of dubious origin it may show on their system as stolen goods.

6 if I use an I phone and want to link in via steering wheel do i need to purchase anything else. If so what is the unit needed and will that need to have the vehicle coded again, in which case best to do it all at once.

You should have bluetooth streaming which should do what you want once fully coded to the car.

Finally anyone in South Wales can help/ recommend someone to do this retrofit.

Cant answer that one.

Man yo

Many thanks for a speedy respons. .

Have found this supplier with newer version .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Columbus-RNS-510-MFD3-LED-G-H07-SW5230-sat-nav-navigation-Octavia-Superb-/271148377639?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3f21b3e627

Your thoughts would be appreciated on suitability.

With regards BT streaming. It will work from an iPhone (or most phones for that matter) out of the box. No coding necessary. Just need to pair the phone and away you go.

Sent using whatever device I'm using at the time.

The Columbus will most likely need vcds coding to get it to work properly mine did as when I first installed mine it did not have any sound as it was setup for a different speaker installation.

You may have other problems or none at all.

Yes you will need a different faceplate as the bolero one is too small.

Bluetooth connectivity will need the Bluetooth module fitted under the drivers seat if you have this already that's ok as it just plug and play otherwise you will need a Bluetooth kit including microphone,loom and module.

Just install the GPS antenna underneath the top storage compartment on the top of the dash that's what did with mine and works perfectly.

As with installing you are better of doing it yourself as it only took me roughly 4 hours to fit the Columbus,Bluetooth and also the MDI.

At dealership prices you are looking at a lot of money to install and if they can code it properly as well.

I just went out and bought a vcds cable and has paid for its self already as I used it to code Columbus,Bluetooth,MDI,turning fogs,towbar,needle staging etc etc.

Green line 2

Many thanks. How difficulty is this job. Is there a how to section that shows how its done. What's theMDI.

Where do I get the faceplate from.

What on earth is the vcds cable. Wouldn't know where to start with that I'm afraid.

Used to rebuil engines 40 years ago but today's computer engines and programming frightens me!!!!!!!

Job is quite easy although be prepared for stripped knuckles on sharp bits of bodywork possibly

If your just fitting the Columbus it's a piece of p**s as all you do is pull the faceplate off and remove 4 torx screws and slide the bolero out then disconnect the wiring and plug in the Columbus and slide back in and refit screws and faclplate

The slightly harder thing is fitting the GPS antenna the easiest and most useful place is to put it underneath the storage compartment on top of the dashboard this comes out very easily with just a few torx screws (there is a guide for this on the forum somewhere) and then secure the antenna under there and then just route the wiring past the heating ducts down to the stereo and plug it in.

Then all you need to do is get it coded properly to make sure everything work properly

This is done via VCDS cable http://www.ross-tech.com/ I bought mine over here for about £200 quid.

When my wife gets back with the car ill try and pull my faceplate off and get the part number then all you need do is to goto any skoda (vag) dealer and get them to order the part mine cost about £18 I recall.

Don't ask the dealer to find the part number as they are useless and my dealer turned around to me and said the Columbus was not able to be fitted to the yeti so you could not get a faceplate. This is all going on while they had a skoda yeti sat in the showroom with a Columbus in it.

Do you have Bluetooth specked on your build if not and you want to have your iPhone connected you will need to install a Bluetooth module this is harder than the Columbus as it requires quite a bit of trim removal.

The MDI is the iPod interface which yetis have only just started being able to be fitted with as when mine came out it only had the AUX connection which is crap and sounds terrible the MDI is like a iPod dock cable in the car and allows the iPod to be controlled via the Columbus/bolero etc etc.

For most of the parts I installed I used this website http://www.carsystems.pl/ there prices are quite good and postage is quick.

And I got my Columbus off ebay and works very well.

Edited by Yetigreenline2

Green line 2 many thanks for the info.

I definitely have bluetooth telephone preparation.

This is where I was thinking of buying my Colombus

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Columbus-RNS-510-MFD3-LED-K-H08-SW5230-sat-nav-navigation-Octavia-Superb-/251222501099?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3a7e0726eb

Although this place in the uk looks promising

http://www.oemretrofits.co.uk/satnav-skoda.shtm

I am really wanting to keep the price down although I don't really want to do the job myself. I would probably break the faceplate knowing me.I would prefer to pay to have it done, especially if it needs recoding which is probably the case as I want everything to work as it should do. Not worried about the mdi from the sounds of it.

Was hoping that there would be a forum member not too far from me who has the savvy and knows what he's doing that for a consideration would be able to do it. If it gets too pricey I will stick to a portable unit.

The oem retrofits looks good but not sure if their fitted price includes recoding. Also may be too far away, but I could still get the unit from them if someone can fit and code at a reasonable price.

Many thanks for your info and help

Rgh,

It might be worth putting your location a bit more accurately than just Wales, then we might know if there is anyone locally who can help, although the number of Yeti modifiers in Wales is "sparse" to say the least. There is sure to be someone who will be able to do any recoding though.

Re part numbers, you will probably find that Sinclair's in Swansea are helpful, and pleasant to deal with.

If you want voice control of the Columbus the microphone needs re-routing to the back of the Columbus and then another cable needs to go from the BT kit to the Columbus. This is a bit fiddly as the mic cable needs cutting etc

There is a post in the Ice & security section that tells you what pins need to be joined to which pin.

It may be referred to in 2664 firmware post, as it was around that time that the functionality was added.

Fitting takes minutes. It is that easy.

You could try OEM retrofits- google them. They should be able to supply, install and code if you don't want to do it yourself. They do travel, give them a ring.

I had mine fitted by the factory. But I fitted one to my previous Octavia, as well as the BT phone preparation. Then I had it coded by a Briskoda member.

Guys thanks very much for all the great help and advice. KB photo I may take you up on your offer if I go down this route. I am midway between Cardiff and Swansea so Sinclairs are my closest. I think retrofits may be my best option. Shall speak to them tomorrow. Thanks again guys for all your help and advice. Am moving over from a BMW and I can honestly say how much more helpful this forum has been,

If you want voice control of the Columbus the microphone needs re-routing to the back of the Columbus and then another cable needs to go from the BT kit to the Columbus. This is a bit fiddly as the mic cable needs cutting etc

There is a post in the Ice & security section that tells you what pins need to be joined to which pin.

It may be referred to in 2664 firmware post, as it was around that time that the functionality was added.

Fitting takes minutes. It is that easy.

You could try OEM retrofits- google them. They should be able to supply, install and code if you don't want to do it yourself. They do travel, give them a ring.

I had mine fitted by the factory. But I fitted one to my previous Octavia, as well as the BT phone preparation. Then I had it coded by a Briskoda member.

No you don't need to cut any cables for the microphone as when I installed my Bluetooth and Columbus it was just plug and play and I have voice control I will check later where my mic is plugged into

Green line 2 many thanks for the info.

I definitely have bluetooth telephone preparation.

This is where I was thinking of buying my Colombus

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Columbus-RNS-510-MFD3-LED-K-H08-SW5230-sat-nav-navigation-Octavia-Superb-/251222501099?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3a7e0726eb

Although this place in the uk looks promising

http://www.oemretrofits.co.uk/satnav-skoda.shtm

I am really wanting to keep the price down although I don't really want to do the job myself. I would probably break the faceplate knowing me.I would prefer to pay to have it done, especially if it needs recoding which is probably the case as I want everything to work as it should do. Not worried about the mdi from the sounds of it.

Was hoping that there would be a forum member not too far from me who has the savvy and knows what he's doing that for a consideration would be able to do it. If it gets too pricey I will stick to a portable unit.

The oem retrofits looks good but not sure if their fitted price includes recoding. Also may be too far away, but I could still get the unit from them if someone can fit and code at a reasonable price.

Many thanks for your info and help

Well if your ever down southampton way I can fit and code for you but a bit of a drive for you I guess as I reckon somebody else will be closer willing to do it.

No you don't need to cut any cables for the microphone as when I installed my Bluetooth and Columbus it was just plug and play and I have voice control I will check later where my mic is plugged into

The phone side if things will work fine without the mod, but you won't be able to operate the Columbus using voice control.

Greenline

Thanks for the offer. Have updated my location so hopefully someone will pick up on it . KBPhoto has offered to help and he's not too far away. Maybe someone closer will turn up. Bottom line from what I can see is its a straight swap. Sat aerial is positioned close by. New faceplate is needed and will probably need recoding. Full functions including voice dialling will remain with out any messing aroun with soldering etc. it's a new car I don't want any real hassle like cutting into existing wiring or running new wiring. Plug and play with recoding at the most.

Thanks again to ll who've posted and if anyone is close to South Wales and can help t

Please chip in. I'm willing to offer some sort of financial incentive.!!!!

The phone side if things will work fine without the mod, but you won't be able to operate the Columbus using voice control.

My mic is plumbed straight into the Columbus and I have not had to cut wires or run any extra wires to the Bluetooth module

And YES I STILL HAVE VOICE CONTROL OF THE COLUMBUS

I bought my Columbus unit from the same eBay site. Very happy with the product, delivery & communication with the seller. I made an offer below the starting price which he accepted.

The new face plate for the Columbus is: 5L0858069L1QB - bought form Rainworth Skoda - 01623 623400 - £25.11 including next day delivery - superb service.

A friendly Briskoda member near me fitted it - about 90 minutes and did the necessary recoding etc. (A bottle of wine for his help). The voice control on mine does not work but I can live with that. Everything else works perfectly and the iPhone connects easily each time via Bluetooth. The GPS antenna was cable-tied to a bracket behind the unit and it works fine.

Hope this helps.

Peter

I bought my Columbus unit from the same eBay site. Very happy with the product, delivery & communication with the seller. I made an offer below the starting price which he accepted.

The new face plate for the Columbus is: 5L0858069L1QB - bought form Rainworth Skoda - 01623 623400 - £25.11 including next day delivery - superb service.

A friendly Briskoda member near me fitted it - about 90 minutes and did the necessary recoding etc. (A bottle of wine for his help). The voice control on mine does not work but I can live with that. Everything else works perfectly and the iPhone connects easily each time via Bluetooth. The GPS antenna was cable-tied to a bracket behind the unit and it works fine.

Hope this helps.

Peter

Many thanks for that. I have just ordered the Columbus so thats reassuring, and had a look on line for the face plate but couldn't find it. I have e mailed them with the part no to look for availability. Seems the voice control can be hit and miss, but in theory it should work. Now need to find someone to help with fitting and coding. Any idea what works without coding, or doesn't it work at all.

Am I right in assuming the maxidot will still function with regard to the other tasks, and that only the radio section fails.

It might / should work without coding, but to get all the functions fully operational (and to ensure no error messages on future scans) you should get it coded,

Am I right in assuming the maxidot will still function with regard to the other tasks, and that only the radio section fails.

Yes. Nothing should change.

With regards the sound side of things, it depends how the Columbus was set up before I.e. what speaker system the car it came from had. It might work fine. But it might not. Until it is coded.

The maxidot may display the instructions from the Columbus without programming. But it may not.

The steering wheel controls might work. Or they might not.....

Getting the idea? :lol:

VCDS can sort everything out.

By the way just order the facia from any Skoda dealer.