Columbus

Rgh999

Thank you all yet again. This forum is a real font of all knowledge.

Picked up my new pride and joy yesterday and a 200 mile journey home. WOW.

Engine obviously a little tight, but surprised how nippy it actually is. Sure footed and still got 41.5 ampg. Only downside is it seems to get really dirty. Am now reading the manual and back and for adjusting the various settings.

I bought my Columbus unit from the same eBay site. Very happy with the product, delivery & communication with the seller. I made an offer below the starting price which he accepted.

The new face plate for the Columbus is: 5L0858069L1QB - bought form Rainworth Skoda - 01623 623400 - £25.11 including next day delivery - superb service.

A friendly Briskoda member near me fitted it - about 90 minutes and did the necessary recoding etc. (A bottle of wine for his help). The voice control on mine does not work but I can live with that. Everything else works perfectly and the iPhone connects easily each time via Bluetooth. The GPS antenna was cable-tied to a bracket behind the unit and it works fine.

Hope this helps.

Peter

What is the method should you need to do an annual map upgrade. Is it necessary to buy a disc and if so where would I get it from and how is it entered.

Map upgrades come on a disc (DL DVD) and need about an hour in the slot on the HU.

The dealer sells legitimate copies.

If you ask nicely they may upgrade you (run their master disc through your HU) for a lot less than the cost of buying a disc (over £200 for the disc last I heard - no idea on upgrade costs).

I agree £200+ for a map update is extortionate, what you advocate would be classed as illegal distribution of copyrighted software!

My dealer upgraded my Columbus maps for free about a year ago, but only to the last but one version. Reckoned he'd get shot if he updated to the latest version as he was supposed to charge (£150 ish) for that.

I have to agree with the above two posts.

But would add that I've yet to see any sat nav device that has all the roads built in the 12 months prior to its release!

Can someone confirm that the Columbus unit displays all the graphics such as heated seat control and heating the same way as the Bolero.

It can do and will do if factory fitted.

If retro fitted it really depends upon what other controllers are fitted.

I would have thought that the controllers would be part of the vehicle and if the Bolero displays parking sensors and temp etc then as long as the Columbus has the ability to do it, that it should work

The charges being quoted are to me the best reason NOT to have a fitted SatNav, but to go with Garmin or TomTom.

Agree with you totally Graham, but I have just upgraded my phone to a Samsung S3 with Android. You can get Co-Pilot for £19.00 including updates, Traffic and speed cameras. The directions as well as your telephone contacts etc. comes through the Bolero speaker system, it works so well and a good price too

Mine shows all the climate control displays and reversing sensors graphic

It will be written into the firmware of the head unit and all it needs is the data feed from the aforementioned devices to display the graphic.

Also if coded properly it will also display the graphics on the MFD giving you directions through that as well as the Columbus screen.

Mine shows all the climate control displays and reversing sensors graphic

It will be written into the firmware of the head unit and all it needs is the data feed from the aforementioned devices to display the graphic.

Also if coded properly it will also display the graphics on the MFD giving you directions through that as well as the Columbus screen.

So how do you guys know how to code correctly. Is it trial and error or is it a matter of searching through menus and just ticking/unticking the relevant question.

Agree with you totally Graham, but I have just upgraded my phone to a Samsung S3 with Android. You can get Co-Pilot for £19.00 including updates, Traffic and speed cameras. The directions as well as your telephone contacts etc. comes through the Bolero speaker system, it works so well and a good price too

I use a Nokia N8 which has their mapping software, but it doesn't do full post code finding, plus, and most importantly, the screen is too bloody small!!

So how do you guys know how to code correctly. Is it trial and error or is it a matter of searching through menus and just ticking/unticking the relevant question.

Just go into VCDS, to the relevant section and pretty much tick the boxes.

I think there may be a few sections to check though.

Over to the VCDS users.......

Sent using whatever device I'm using at the time.

I use a Nokia N8 which has their mapping software, but it doesn't do full post code finding, plus, and most importantly, the screen is too bloody small!!

Which is why I went for the 6.5" Columbus in the first place, though a 9.7" iPad would be even better, but I haven't found a mount I like yet. I have Tom Tom on both the iPad and iPhone. (and Navigon and a few others :lol: )

The 4" screen on my iPhone is too mall to read easily either.

The Samsung S3 has a 4.8" screen plenty large enough for viewing with the dedicated mount on the dash. OK the columbus is larger but spending £200 on updates just for maps is crazy. Co-Pilot offers free 12 months updates, plus ongoing traffic and monthly speed cams, full post codes and of course phone compatibility. Less risk of being nicked as you take it with you and like all mobiles these days offers apps. to guide you back to you car, which sometimes we old un's need when in unchartered large car parks

The phone side if things will work fine without the mod, but you won't be able to operate the Columbus using voice control.

Just wanted to say you we're spot on with this post. Phone works but not voice control on Columbus. Not worth the hassle to splice into cabling just for the odd voice control so will leave it as is. Thanks.