Octy 3 on eBay

I suspect you'd be needing to add quite a few options to match an Elegance for spec (on paper at least).

With the A4 you would I think...though comparing the 177 against a 150 is unfair cost wise...Audi do a 143, 150 (auto only?), 163 and 177.

Conversely with the A6, you'd have to increase the spec of the octy to come close.

22.5K is too much for what looks like a Proton

Surely something like a Lexus IS200D would be a better choice? Heated and Cooled seats win it for me straight away and the 2K saving!

http://www.autotrade...g?logcode=ucnnp

Or Mk7 Passat 2.0TDi SE

http://www.autotrade...g?logcode=ucbnp

Hyundai i40 Estate, Heated Leather etc. 22K

http://www.autotrade...g?logcode=ucnnp

I personally think Skoda have mis-judged the market for these type of cars at this kind of price. Similar to what Nissan did when they were trying to sell Almeras at Focus and Golf money - they didn't sell well. Nissan had the bright idea of the Quashqai which has been a huge sales success.

22.5K for a low spec hatch/saloon isn't impressing anybody at the minute, the old Octavia did well because of the price, now the prices have increased people spending 22.5K WILL look at other models and makes.

The Rapid seems to be what the Octavia stood for, big on the inside and low price. The new Octavia is pricing itself too close to some very nice pieces of machinery, including some very nice crossover vehicles from the Koreans.

Edited by vrs777
  • Like 3

Think you make a very fair point - I am so happy with my elegance lease order as there is no tax liability and the cost per month is much lower than anything comparable - Mondeo/i40 etc let alone Audi and BMW

A full £10,000 more than I paid for my nearly new mk2 Elegance in 2006, when the economy appeared to be in much better shape than it is now. Ludicrous.

I think they've pushed the mk3 pricing too far, I really do. As other people have said, they've taken it too close to some other options that are not only more immediately desirable but should have stronger residuals. Not a bad thing really I guess - it would be a little boring if I did just buy yet another Octavia anyway. I'm erring towards a used B8 S4 avant next.

• Like 2

I paid £13k for a 1.9 Elegance (with metallic paint) in 2003, £16k for a 2.0 Elegance (with metallic and sunroof) in 2006 and it would have been about £18k had I gone for a third in 2009.

List price for the equivalent now is just over £23k but once they have been on sale for a few months, I'm sure a couple of thousand discount will be possible - say £21k. That's three thousand more after four years which isn't too much more than inflation, especially considering the extra space and spec.

We just all want to pay ten year old prices :)

Edited by Dr Zoidberg
  • Like 2

This isn't the case though, you have to price according to market and rivals.

Look at Audi and the new S3, its going to come in either same price or lower than old model, purely down to the competition. Same as the Golf GTi, they cannot bump the mk7 up by 3k over the mk6 because they step onto more desirable machinery like the 29k M135i.

Skoda are starting to step into a more desirable market, with lots more options for buyers.

I think the new focus actually comes in at a lower starting price than the old one, not 2-3k extra.

Fair enough if like the golf mk7 it came with a few desirable options as standard, active cruise etc. but I think the mk3 just seems too much of an evolution.

As mentioned Skoda needed to do what Nissan did and reinvent itself rather than competing with the big boys. What's next for them, an Octavia mk4 costing another 3k more, people have more choice now, in another 6 years people won't want anything other than a premium brand, just look at the record sales figures at Audi, BMW and Mercedes for that.

Please also remember that the old model has been sold at 20% discount for some considerable time as part of the VAT free deal. This is not the case with the new model, which I am sure will be discounted eventually but like most new models there is always a price premium to begin with. The fact that a number of forum members have already ordered Elegance spec Octy MK3's would suggest demand is there already so no need to discount yet.

• Like 1

I love my skoda's, remember back to my first octy, 51 plate ex taxi & i bought it with 280k on it for £300. 1.9Sdi lump, ran an absolute dream

my current elegance, 115k on the clock when i bought it for just over £4000... bombproof 1.9pd engine, wonder if i can out live a new octy 3( hmmmmmm )

Its nice n all that, but it's not a £22,500 car.

G

• Like 1

I love my skoda's, remember back to my first octy, 51 plate ex taxi & i bought it with 280k on it for £300. 1.9Sdi lump, ran an absolute dream

my current elegance, 115k on the clock when i bought it for just over £4000... bombproof 1.9pd engine, wonder if i can out live a new octy 3( hmmmmmm )

Its nice n all that, but it's not a £22,500 car.

You can't make a fair comparison between a brand new vehicle and a used one that's done vast mileage. A 2.0 TDI Mk2 Elegance estate would have been close to £20k list price when the original owner bought it, and if you wait three or four years you'll be able to pick up a Mk3 for a quarter of it's RRP.

I think they've pushed the mk3 pricing too far, I really do. As other people have said, they've taken it too close to some other options that are not only more immediately desirable but should have stronger residuals.

I totally agree.

The problem is that the image Skoda has in Europe is not shared in the UK.

IMO, unless they do the VAT-free deal again, they will lose sales; albeit only private ones - they will still sell loads of fleet cars IMO.

Probably will - as they seem to be aiming at the fleet market more. If they do the daft "VAT Free" pricing on them totally though, they risk losing sales through those company car buyers who can choose as the BIK value is artificially inflated by 20% - and sometimes that's the decision between having one car and another.

Skoda need to aim further than existing owners though

I wonder how many new car purchases are repeat Skoda purchases?

I suspect quite a few given how good Mk1/Mk2 cars were, but have no data at hand to back it up.

If I am right, alienating current Skoda owners will do the brand no good when it comes to revenue. We'll see soon enough.

• Like 1

Please also remember that the old model has been sold at 20% discount for some considerable time as part of the VAT free deal. This is not the case with the new model, which I am sure will be discounted eventually but like most new models there is always a price premium to begin with. The fact that a number of forum members have already ordered Elegance spec Octy MK3's would suggest demand is there already so no need to discount yet.

If anyone has paid list price they are fools! I was only just saved from the Dagenham Dark Side by a kind fellow on here who new which dealer was prepared to price match carfile.net ! :wonder:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We've been through this before.

Demonstators are always advertised well above their real value purely down to the fact they aren't yet available.

Doing this allows them to say to you when it does finally become available "it was advertised at £x, but we can now do it for you at £x. Look at how much you are saving!"

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The willy only price this car so high as they aren't keen on selling it at the moment.... The wont have any others for stock yet as they are so new. And will be difficult to get hold of for some time. If a customer comes in looking to test drive or see the new Octavia then they want to try and make sure they have one in stock. As soon as they get their next 1 or 2 of the new Octavia's in stock, the price of this vehicle will drop

In fact a rapid with Octy fit and finish / fuel economy but rapid price would be a winner

Offer a 4x4 Rapid diesel estate at a keen price and I could be interested. I want basic: steel wheels, rubber mats, plastic seats, a big (and long) load bay and 50 ~ 60 mpg, not luxury carpets and loads of fancy electronic toys.

I'm looking for a versatile, capacious, versatile, ecomomical workhorse and towcar, not a status symbol or a luxury toy.

There are plenty of good cheap diesel estate cars around but the 4x4 option is a Skoda unique selling point.

Edited by Stuarted

• 2 weeks later...

As controversial as this is, I didn't mind paying the price I paid for my new Octy 3 Elegance. I don't like Audi, BMW or Mercedes, I don't like sports cars either. I've test driven a few cars, including those mentioned and the MK7 golf, you know which car was my favorite? The Octavia!

I love Skoda, much like people love Audi, or Ford, or Honda or BMW, I'm glad people do, but I love what I love and you guys should give the Octavia 3 a nice test drive, see what you think!

• Like 1

I'm sure some muppet will.

22,495 is seriously money for a skoda.... Could buy a cracking example of an Audi RS4 for that

G

I've just checked on flea-bay & the asking price for this car is £20,495......................

DC

I've just checked on flea-bay & the asking price for this car is £20,495......................

DC

£2k reduction, they must be getting ready to move it on but needs to be at least another £2k to come off imo as still less discount than I got on a factory order!

• Like 1