Non existent traction control

Noticed on a few occasions recently when I've needed to accelerate into a gap, or get away quickly from a junction my car wheels spins really easily and all the traction control does is show me I have no grip, but not actually do anything about it, isn't the system supposed to cut the power off to a wheel that has no traction ??, gets annoying when the front of the car is juddering with no grip...

Is there to stop you going off the road , it's not launch control. It quells torque steer to some degree. But nothing beats a sensitive right foot. The only time mine flashes is when i giving it too much right foot for the road conditions. So far it's only happened with the winter tyres.

Hopefully your on winter tyres or all weather tyres in these low temps with lots of ice and rain on the roads. If not you will see you traction control light so many times ...you will think it likes you :giggle:

• Like 1

More annoying on cars where it does cut power if you are in situations as described,

at least the scrambling for traction/grip tyre might get it and you van complete the manoeuver,

Accelerating into a gap, or nipping out at a junction and then an ECU deciding to over ride you is a scary scary thing.

Tyres suitable for wet or cold roads or drive to the Conditions is often a good choice

george

• Like 1

My tyres are just 'regular' all season as far as I know, uniroyal rain tyres, not the 'rain sport' ones so I guess wrong tyres for the season, however I live in west London and would not have thought I'd fully benefit from investing in winter tyres...

With regards ESP I'll need to check the car tomorrow, I think it has ESP as I seem to remember a button under the climate controls that when when pressed lit up a yellow icon in the speedo

Coming from a Volvo, I too find that the Octavia's traction control lets you have quite a bit of wheelspin from a standstill before it cuts in. The TC in my Volvo cut in a lot earlier. Not sure if this behaviour differs if you have "full ESP" or just traction control. My old Volvo from 04 had TC only and it worked exactly like the TC that's built into any ESP system.

When the car is moving you can floor it all you want though, it won't let the wheels spin very much.

Doesn't cut power, just applies ABS to keep you on straight and narrow. To lessen wheel spin, get better tyres, and use left right foot initially - progressively add power as your steering centers.

As has been said, having the ECU drop power for you is scary. Many 12 and 13 plate cars have steering that steers for you too as you enter a spin. Scary as **** - unless you really need it at the time!

Full lock will obviously contribute greatly to loss of traction when applying power. I recall spinning the wheels once with other half in the car.

Me: "I wish they would invent something so that I can accelerate out of tight junctions properly"

Her: "They have, it's called rear wheel drive; BMW have it."

(Guess what she drove at the time?) :)

I think eccleshill might be right and it's possibly the abs that's causing the juddering when I lose traction, I also get the flashing ESP light changing from 1st to 2nd gear as the car struggles for grip, I got a big roundabout near me with fast traffic crossing from the right and lights in the middle and at 5.15pm it's quite busy so getting across it you have to take your chances, and having no grip can on somedays be a bit stressful...

I think eccleshill might be right and it's possibly the abs that's causing the juddering when I lose traction, I also get the flashing ESP light changing from 1st to 2nd gear as the car struggles for grip, I got a big roundabout near me with fast traffic crossing from the right and lights in the middle and at 5.15pm it's quite busy so getting across it you have to take your chances, and having no grip can on somedays be a bit stressful...

Turn your ESP off and have a play - you would be amazed at what it does. It also does an awful lot without making the light blink; I get the impression the light blinking is telling YOU to lay off the power*.

*I have decided this to be the case, since with it on, in ice condition I can do beautiful winter drifting all along the lanes around here and it's a doddle; flip the rear out hold it, flip it the other way and hold it... wonderful. Press the ESP butting for a few seconds and I'm straight into a spin :)

Doesn't cut power, just applies ABS to keep you on straight and narrow. To lessen wheel spin, get better tyres, and use left right foot initially - progressively add power as your steering centers.

As has been said, having the ECU drop power for you is scary. Many 12 and 13 plate cars have steering that steers for you too as you enter a spin. Scary as **** - unless you really need it at the time!

Full lock will obviously contribute greatly to loss of traction when applying power. I recall spinning the wheels once with other half in the car.

Me: "I wish they would invent something so that I can accelerate out of tight junctions properly"

Her: "They have, it's called rear wheel drive; BMW have it."

(Guess what she drove at the time?) :)

I had a manual 323 and quite liked it, my mate a 325 auto, try accelerating out of a tight slippery corner with either and you'd know all about it real quick...

I had a manual 323 and quite liked it, my mate a 325 auto, try accelerating out of a tight slippery corner with either and you'd know all about it real quick...

With my new toy, you don't really know about it until it's happened :) - http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/268216-my-new-summer-wheels/#entry3169758

I find traction control/ESP only useful when you're stuck - when the Beemer struggles to get off the drive in snow, it helps by braking the spinning wheel/cutting throttle. Normally though it's switched off and it's a riot on wet roundabouts (only when no other cars around) or dry trackdays!

The system on my vRS intervenes EVEN WHEN SWITCHED OFF! As I found out when I tried some arse end out action when it first snowed. I don't need some bloody computer trying to straighten me up after a dab of handbrake on a roundabout! If I turn it off I want to be in control!

*** Disclaimer ***

My vRS is my commuter and as such is very, very rarely driven like that! (That's what the Beemer's for! ;))

• Like 1

The system on my vRS intervenes EVEN WHEN SWITCHED OFF! As I found out when I tried some arse end out action when it first snowed. I don't need some bloody computer trying to straighten me up after a dab of handbrake on a roundabout! If I turn it off I want to be in control!

From memory you can't turn it off, you can only turn off the TCS but not the ESP as they changed the button from ESP off to TCS off or something in newer cars?

John

Not that it matters too much being my commuter, I just prefer being in control - if the Beemer did it, I'd have sold it, but I can confirm, it will let you spin both wheels, bouncing of the limiter, and look like a hero or spin (I've done both)...

Too much electronic intervention is making a nation of bad drivers willing to rely on some computer.

The new Octavia can be optioned with lane assist (keeps you in lane if you start drifting) and adaptive cruise control (maintains distance to the car in front). Really??? So, basically, if you set the cruise control on a motorway, it will keep you going until traffic stops, or you hit the end of the road... May as well have a kip on the way to work!

My old Accord used to cut power to the wheels if they spun. Really not useful when trying to move away on ice - even with the foot flat to the floor nothing happened at all. Luckily you could turn it off.

Not that it matters too much being my commuter, I just prefer being in control

+1 the car should do what's its bloody told not the other way round. That goes for every other 'helpful' gadget that gets on my bristols.

TC is bloody awful when it kicks in, I'd rather the wheels spun a bit more to be honest than that awful banging clatter the TC sets off. ESP I've only ever noticed working once when I cornered on ice. Other than that all I've noticed is a large bill now its broken (feckin Teves).