Cheap roof bars.

I have a set of Atera aero bars that I bought cheap of ebay. Wouldn't say they are quick release but they only take 5 minutes, at most, to remove or put on. I usually have 3 bike carriers on and can lift the whole thing off myself.

Would love some of the Whisper bars that are around but can't justify the cost, as I already had the bike carriers to fit the atera bars.

On my fabia I lost 10-15mpg with cheap bars on and they were noisy as hell.

On my Octavia I wanted quiet bars (quiet=better mpg) but I couldn't get them in time.

In 2 years I have cost more that the difference in damage to my roof re-fitting the ****** things between 'needs' to save cash and have quiet ride.

They are the whispbars but can't remember off the top of my head who makes them but got them from roofbox.co.uk

The atera bike carriers fit, as I've got one so long as it's one with a standard "T" slot fixing. They are less noisy than the tyres so effectively silent, and are dead easy to fit. Even the rubber insert in the slot is easy to slide in and out.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

If you want cheap bars, Lidl do pretty good ones for £26.....but they only have them in a couple of times a year. They have TUV approval and are made of aluminium.

They are not as neat as those wisper bars......but they cost £150! Maybe worth it if you leave them on all the time and use them a lot, but my Lidl roof bars only go on when I use my roofbox a couple of times a year.

If you want cheap bars, Lidl do pretty good ones for £26.....but they only have them in a couple of times a year. They have TUV approval and are made of aluminium.

They are not as neat as those wisper bars......but they cost £150! Maybe worth it if you leave them on all the time and use them a lot, but my Lidl roof bars only go on when I use my roofbox a couple of times a year.

I picked up some very cheap bars in Lidl a couple of weeks ago - they were reduced from £29.99 to £19

They are made by Menabo in Italy - and are the Brio 120cm model detailed here: http://www.menabocaraccessories.com/index.php?page=mnb_list&id_tipologia=3

Profiled aluminium bars with a channel in the centre (covered with removable rubber strip) to accommodate Thule Rapid Fit bolts - my 'Tour' bike racks fit perfectly. Lockable feet too - bit of a bargain for £20 I thought.

No idea about availability elsewhere, I presume they were left over from one of their weekly offer things, but even at full price they would be a good deal.

• Like 1