Clutch and Flywheel change.

Hi all,

Opinions please!!!

Apologies for my long whindedness.

I've have just been in contact with CG Motorsport with regards to options for upgrading my 2005 Octy's clutch and flywheel. I had the car remapped back in 2010 at 35k and it has just done 64k now, but since buying the car secondhand back in March 2009 with only 25k on the clock where there has always been juddering present on a cold damp morning, I have noticed slight slipping and a light whoop nose when changing gear from 1st to 2nd and down from 3rd to 2nd. It is also a little jerky going into gear compared to my other car which is a 2010 Seat Altea XL 2.0 tdi CR 170. Could this be a damaged DMF a worn clutch or both?

My quote from CG Motorsport is £750 which includes:

Kevlar clutch £275. (Good for upto 30% extra power and keeps the standard feel)

Single Mass Flywheel £300.

Slave cylinder £50. (What is one of these, is it like a thrust/clutch bearing?)

Fitting £125.

Bearing in mind the above is based on my driving style of economy/fast road with 185bhp and 296lb/ft of torque.

Matt

Edited by billywhiz040480

Yea the slave cylinder is the actuator for the clutch in affect, so always worth changing this if youre splitting the box.

When I got mine I had to have a new DMF, so did the clutch plate and the slave cylinder at the same time of course. Thats a pretty good price, I paid about 650 for OEM parts.

Do you get noise/rattling when pressing the clutch pedal slightly?

2nd gear on both of my Octavias have been slightly notchy actually, think its partly design, or the syncro that wears the quickest.

Yes it does rattle a little on pressing the clutch pedal slightly. Where did you get your car done and how much difference did you notice after? My wife's 2010 Seat Altea tdi is very smooth so that's how I can tell the difference. I've also noticed that sometimes going from 2nd into 1st say stopping at lights or in traffic I get a clunk which is pretty noticeable.

For me I had a warranty job, when the car was hot it would produce a nasty tapping sound, like a knackered valve. The gear change remained unchanged really.

My previous Ford had a knackered DMF and that produced a clutch slipping sensation and loads of noise when in netural.

I've been speaking to a mechanic who I know and he doesn't think replacing the DMF with an SMF is a good idea, also he said steer clear of the Kevlar clutch! To be honest he didn't give me a good explanation as to why just that he'd heard about people doing it and having issues. He's done a lot of work for me in the past and services my car regularly plus he has an Octavia of his own so I don't want to go against his opinion unless I can prove otherwise. Is the standard clutch and dmf capable of dealing with the extra 60 ish lb/ft of torque my car produces as a result of the remap?

• Like 1

Replace it with another DMF and you'll have exactly the same problems a couple of years down the line. I know your's is a 2.0, but if you can get a SMF put in. I have 2 Octavias with SMF conversions, and neither car has looked back since they were converted.

A SMF never did any harm, before DMFs were invented.

Mike

Cheers for the info Mike! Would you say the SMF drives as smoothly as the DMF coz I've read that the SMF can be a little harsher and louder?

Would you say the SMF drives as smoothly as the DMF coz I've read that the SMF can be a little harsher and louder?

There have been lots of successful SMF conversions on 1.9 TDI Octavias, with great results, and I wouldn't hesitate to put a SMF on my 1.9 TDI Fabia when the time comes.

However I have yet to hear of any 2.0 TDI owner on this forum who has put a SMF on their car. I have read all sorts of tales of doom with putting an SMF on the 2.0 TDI, including risk of crank failure.....Not sure if this is true but all the same, I'd be very cautious before doing a SMF conversion on a 2.0 TDI, and be aware that if you do put a SMF on it, you're a test pilot, and anything could happen.

Edited by booke23

• 2 weeks later...

have a 2005 1.6 octavia, when I go to put it in reverse or first gear, and go to take off, it judders as if I hadn't given it enough gas , or as if I'd tried to take off in 3rd instead of 1st.

does this sound like flywheel or clutch? anyone know what the options are on the 1.6 for flywheel? Thanks

I assume your Octavia is a 1.6 Petrol? If so, I think (although I'm no FSI expert) they have single mass flywheels.

But it could be clutch plate contamination/wear or something unrelated like a worn engine mount.

• 2 weeks later...

thought i`d join this topic as i`ve just installed a SMF conversion kit from Valeo, I can only praise what has been achieved as for one I can drive the car! Having brought the car with DMF issues i`ve never heard anything like it! So much noise and rumbling! How the previous owner drove it like this I will never know!

Under heavy acceleration there is a bit of noise, nothing that`s going to worry me though.

my advice is buy the valeo kit ( FULL ) kit - some people sell a mix of valeo and chinese crap...

thought i`d join this topic as i`ve just installed a SMF conversion kit from Valeo, I can only praise what has been achieved as for one I can drive the car! Having brought the car with DMF issues i`ve never heard anything like it! So much noise and rumbling! How the previous owner drove it like this I will never know!

Under heavy acceleration there is a bit of noise, nothing that`s going to worry me though.

my advice is buy the valeo kit ( FULL ) kit - some people sell a mix of valeo and chinese crap...

1.9 or 2.0 tdi?

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update here to say I went for a standard Sachs DMF kit in the end for £373 on eBay as there was not enough positive information out there with regards to a successful SMF conversion on a 2.0 tdi pd 140. I also couldn't justify paying £600+ for an uprated clutch DMF kit when there is a chance that could also suffer from the dreaded DMF gremlins. So, £373 plus £160 fitting is not that bad me thinks and the drive home felt like I was in another car, a new one, long may it last and fingers crossed!

• 2 years later...

Just an update here to say I went for a standard Sachs DMF kit in the end for £373 on eBay as there was not enough positive information out there with regards to a successful SMF conversion on a 2.0 tdi pd 140. I also couldn't justify paying £600+ for an uprated clutch DMF kit when there is a chance that could also suffer from the dreaded DMF gremlins. So, £373 plus £160 fitting is not that bad me thinks and the drive home felt like I was in another car, a new one, long may it last and fingers crossed!

Little while ago now.... so could you maybe give us an update on how the flywheel worked out for you over the last few years (assuming you still have the car) ? thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Little while ago now.... so could you maybe give us an update on how the flywheel worked out for you over the last few years (assuming you still have the car) ? thanks!

The car is still tight and drives lovely, I've just has my engine/gearbox mount bushes changed in the subframe and that has tightened gear changes and engine movement up no end, I'm well happy.

• Like 1

Thanks for the update. Bushes / mounts are something I want to get checked out on mine. i can feel a bit of movements when putting the power on and letting off.... I know it's a powerful engine (compared to what I had before) but I'm not convinced I should feel as much 'roll' form the engine as I do.

• 2 weeks later...

The rear bush of the gearbox mount is in two halves and upper and lower, and each half has voids in the rubber.

I took and old timing belt measured up the voids and cut the belt to fit, it removes any slack in the bush,

but the oe rubber is still there to deform & absorb vibrations, and movement, but tightens up the joint.

must look and the main engine mounts next.