Fabia Monte Carlo vs Fabia vRS?

Next year I want to buy either a Monte Carlo, or a vRS. Probably looking for one about 6 months old as I don't see the benefit of buying brand new.

(To save anyone asking it's next year as we are currently saving for the deposit to buy our house :))

Want I want to know is, what's the advantage of owning one or the other? Common issues? Fuel consumption?

Next year I want to buy either a Monte Carlo, or a vRS. Probably looking for one about 6 months old as I don't see the benefit of buying brand new.

(To save anyone asking it's next year as we are currently saving for the deposit to buy our house :))

Want I want to know is, what's the advantage of owning one or the other? Common issues? Fuel consumption?

All the Monte Carlos are 105 hp or less so it is you want a quicking car or and run of the mill car, Simples.

Faba VRS can do over 40 mpg but you are suppose to use 98 Octane or better so Tescos Momentum is about the only option unless you have a good Shell garage near by..

Fabias from 61 plate onwards can on to variable servicing so that is good.

VRS is quite kind on tyres I have found but I have been on snow/winter tyres for nearly 5 months now.

Oil consumption has not been a problem on this Fabia VRS but some have experienced high consumption ie £5-10 per thousand miles, ouch!

Have driven Fabia 1.2 TSI and thought it impressive.

VRS is only available in auto and I think Montis are usally or all manual gear change so that could be a factor.

Edited by lol

Bear in mind that there could be tax free deals own so buying a 6 month old one wouldnt make sense compared to a new one with the tax discounts.

Monte Carlo v vRS......Monte Carlo. Then just enjoy the car without worrying about it breaking down. I guarantee there is not a single guy on here with a Mk2 vRS whether its had problems in the past or not who hasnt thought about the liklihood of issues happening to their car. Thats the biggest problem with the vRS IMO. The constant niggle in your mind that it might go wrong, fr me ruins the ownership.

• Like 1

Most owners will recommend whatever it is they are driving.

There are obvious pros and cons to both. Monte is cheaper to buy and run and is available with a manual box if that's your preference. vRS has bags of performance and the awesome DSG.

My personal opinion (no offence intended monte owners!) is that the monte is a sheep in wolfs clothing, all show no go etc. That could suit some people fine tho, all depends on personal circumstance.

VRS has the well documented (on here at least) reliability worries. This would only be a significant worry outside of warranty period or if you had invalidated it by modding.

Both are great value no matter which you end up choosing!

• Like 1

Most owners will recommend whatever it is they are driving

Not strictly true id personally recommend a diesel octavia VRS with DSG but own a monte.

The choice needs to decided whats suits you, your use and budget.

Sadly as much as i liked the VRS the slightly higher price insurance and its MPG (considering i do 60mile a day.)

This ment the VRS could of proved to be too costly for myself.

So in the end i went for a Monte (86PS)

Tbh its look a lil better then the VRS it will easily do 40-50mpg on my journey.

Compare the two directly id say the Monte Carlo gives a good mix of sporty handling and good econmy but still quite pokey enough to be fun.

If you looking for preformace the VRS is the only way.

Now you say the Monte has no go but when I had the test drive it had a nice pull to it, however having not test driven the vRS and currently driving a 1.6 petrol I wouldn't know a true comparison until I test drive the vRS too I suppose.

I have no preference to whether it's manual or automatic as I drive the partner's car which is an auto.

Performance isn't a huge issue, but I do like something with a bit of poke and if I put my foot down I want it to go somewhere, not wake up 20 minutes later! I will admit I'm a bit of a petrol head and I do like a fast car :D

I drive 30 miles+ a day to work and back so as long as the fuel consumption is better than my current car - I'm happy!

Well a monte driven at steady 60 -70 will return you mid 40s

Drive around 50-55 and some very carefull driving can get you to 50mpg.

I personally say the monte is playful it pulls well in 2nd n 3rd and doesnt feel out of depth on a motorway at 70/80mph

The vrs is a different league of preformane but i personally find the eagerness of the VRS eggs you on to "play" i had the opertunity to have one for a day and found i got mid 30s mainly cos it was to addictive to play lol

Get a vrs if you can afford the top ups :p test drive both or ask here for someone to take you for a spin ;)

I drove the mk1 vRS and fell in love... I'd probably do the same again as I did the Monte test drive lol!

Well if you fell in love with a mk1 vrs, then why not buy the monte and get it remapped? I bought a 75bhp one had it remapped by shark to 133bhp, and it goes like stink. its the same power as the mk1 vrs, but is alot lighter so will be a tad quicker.

Also its 20 quid a year to tax, does 50mpg, it is cheaper to buy like for like, its more reliable (sorry vrs fans lol) and imo looks better (dark lights, grill etc)

If your just wanting performance though, and you want something quicker performance wise, its the vRS

also, driving a petrol and diesel feel totally different in there power delivery, so make sure you test drive both, but make sure when you do drive the monte you know you can get ALOT more from it when you have it remapped....It will blow your socks off if you like the vrs mk1 :-)

• Like 1

How did your insurance company treat you with the remaped Monte, did they charge much extra in premium?

george

I pay a whole £100 more on my normal premium for EVERYTHING fitted to my car. If you sop around the increases in premium are tiny.

I got a quote for my car once it is mapped, found it only cost another £20 a year to insure over a standard model. As the road tax is already very cheap this doesn't bother me too much.

I'm definently going to get mine mapped :)

Well, the other half just said if I can either sell the StreetKa and find a Mk1 Fabia vRS in that budget, or if I can trade mine in for a vRS (and not have to pay any extra, due to saving for the house) then I can have one... that would sort me until I get my new Skoda next year... Arghhhhhhh... :(

Not strictly true id personally recommend a diesel octavia VRS with DSG but own a monte.

Sorry should have been more specific - when I said 'owners generally recommend what they drive' I meant monte or fab vRS drivers.

If we are opening it up then I'd personally recommend an M3, but I don't think that's what the lady is after lol!

Sorry should have been more specific - when I said 'owners generally recommend what they drive' I meant monte or fab vRS drivers.

If we are opening it up then I'd personally recommend an M3, but I don't think that's what the lady is after lol!

Lol well if we going out side Skoda Mercedes C63AMG :D or VXR Bathurst mmmmm lol

Why not put yourself out of this misery and buy a Monte with the 1.2.tsi 105 bhp , all the car you will ever want , cheap to own and run , we had a Roomie with this engine , cracking little engine , you will not be left wanting :love:

vRSy,

I was asking about the Monte being talked about Remaped.

I gathered that, i merely pointed out that if im only paying £100 extra for my car which has practically everything upgraded because i shopped around, you can expect a substantially lower figure for a remap on a monte. You asked how much the premium rose, i gave you an idea of what i have paid extra so its a rough ball park to aim for.

I'm biased, get a Monte. :D

I have the 105 Diesel and love it. With all the people on hear complaining about having to buy shares in BP, Shell and the rest to keep up with the oil consumption I wouldn't go near the vRS.