Hobs

and now a slightly, well only just, less dull video showing how the hob only heats the pan and nothing else and hopefully how controllable induction is. IMO as controllable or, if you like, as turn off and onable as gas :happy:

9 heat settings plus 2 (I think) 'Boost' settings. Can't see why anyone would need fifteen settings TBH but there we are :wonder:

• Like 1

You just have to hope the power cut doesnt affect the gas pumping and distribution stations, otherwise you will find that after an hour or two, the gas will run out.

They will have emergency generators to maintain a safe pressure

• Like 1

They will have emergency generators to maintain a safe pressure

I have experience of "emergency" generators for vital distribution systems; lets hope they are in better nick than the ones I came across while doing some contract work for Severn Trent (hint, the storage hut they were kept in hadn't been opened since the 1930's according to the duty logs).

They werent so much generators as two mouldering piles of rust.

Did a quick test on our Aeg hob tonight. Boiled a litre of water and the job was cool sought to touch with my hand 20 seconds after switch off.

Sent from my TegraNote-P1640 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

Hob temperatures when boiling a pan of water are approximately:

Induction, 110 deg C

Electric Ceramic, 350 deg C

Gas, 450 deg C

Induction hobs are 95% energy efficient, gas is the lease energy efficient fuel. All heat on the induction surface is residual from the base of the pan no heat is generated under the glass, as with a ceramic element.

Not sure why a cat can't tell if something is hot before walking on it, this would seem like a major sensory design fault if they can't.

• Like 1

One thing I don't think has been mentioned is that induction hobs are easier to clean than both gas and ordinary ceramic hobs as they don't get as hot (so don't get burnt on!) and have no complex parts.  

One thing I don't think has been mentioned is that induction hobs are easier to clean than both gas and ordinary ceramic hobs as they don't get as hot (so don't get burnt on!) and have no complex parts.  

Just dont go near one if you have a pace maker fitted......... :love:

• Like 1

Another reason to do that (my mum is has the same set-up), is that if the electric goes off, you can still use the hob, and if the gas goes off you can still use the oven.

Personally, if the electric goes off I toast bread using a toasting fork and the open fire.

I've still got one further option if gas and electric go off. A portable gas stove. And a gas powered blowlamp .One is great for cooking, the other for heatring water for drinks. But if electric only goes off- there's the gas hob. If gas goes off ,we've got the oven and a combination Microwave.

Tortillas and giant hotdog weiners make a nice snack, especially with a bit of mango chutney to glue the tortilla together. I cant even have commercially made thin-base pizza, as they still use bakers yeast in the dough.

I may have to give up alcohol as well, I need to write to various breweries and distillers and get some info on the yeasts they use and the ppm of what gets through into the finished product.

OK, I dont HAVE to give up on these things, but avoiding them gets my blood counts above the danger line, the only other thing that has done that is dangerous levels of steroids with some really nasty side effects.