Comprehensive facelift for SKODA

ColinD

• Administrators

• Škoda Superb – attractive design, fresh interior and new technology
  • Comprehensive exterior restyle
  • Class-leading rear legroom and boot space
  • Consumption and emissions significantly reduced
  • Worldwide premiere: ‘Volkswagen Group Night’ on 19 April 2013 in Shanghai

Mladá Boleslav, 3rd April 2013 – ŠKODA’s model offensive continues which the launch of the new ŠKODA Superb. Having undergone a comprehensive facelift, both Hatch and Estate versions are set to make their world premieres on 19th April 2013, on the eve of the Shanghai Motor Show. ŠKODA’s flagship model impresses with a fresh and attractive design, a new interior and new technology features. The new Superb will be launched in European markets at the end of June 2013.

post-6-0-07971400-1365079302_thumb.jpg

“The Škoda Superb is the pinnacle of our model line-up and proves ŠKODA’s capability as a manufacturer. This comprehensive facelift has made our top model even more attractive,” said Škoda CEO Winfried Vahland.

The design of the Hatch and Estate endows them with an assured presence and resolutely demonstrates their reputation as the flagships of the brand. The new Superb impresses with improved fuel economy and features new solutions in terms of technology. At the same time, the Superb confirms all the good values that have made this model line a success for 12 years now.

“The ŠKODA Superb offers comfort beyond the upper-middle segment. This means lots of room, excellent functionality, high comfort, top safety, great value for money and timeless elegance. We are always intent on offering our customers a little bit extra car,” said Vahland.

Exterior

The ŠKODA Superb boasts a completely new front and rear. Elements of the brand’s new design language are clearly visible: clear lines, precise quality and balanced proportions. The front of the car, which has been completely redesigned up to the A-pillar, looks much more distinctive.

The grille, car logo, head and fog lights, bumpers, front wings and bonnet are new. The distinctively drawn front with a significantly wider grille as well as the completely redesigned headlights creates an assured appearance. Available for the first time in the Superb line-up are bi-xenon headlights with integrated LED daytime running lights.

The rear of the Superb Hatch and Estate has also been completely redesigned with a focus on clear, tidy and precise lines. The rear light graphic has been reinterpreted to further emphasise the brand’s typical C-shape. This will be the first time in the Superb that LED stripes create this shape, and are fitted as standard on all models. Two triangular elements on the Hatch are another unmistakable feature of the new ŠKODA design.

The Superb’s exterior is now available in two additional metallic finishes: Meteor Grey and Moon White. New 16-18 inch alloy wheels are also available.

Interior

New interior fabrics and patterns for the seat covers as well as new designs are now available. In the highest level of trim, the Škoda Superb Laurin & Klement (L&K), a new brown-ivory colour combination is available.

post-6-0-97747400-1365079308_thumb.jpg

Engines

In terms of engines and drive technology, the ŠKODA Superb is even more attractive: Selected engines save more than 19% fuel when compared to their predecessors. Contributing to this is Start–stop and kinetic energy recuperation technology, which will be standard in all Škoda Superb diesel engines, in addition to the entry-level 1.4 TSI 125PS petrol engine in EU countries.

The Superb GreenLine offers fuel consumption of just 67.3 mpg, with CO2 emissions of 109 g/km.

The 2.0 TDI 140PS diesel engine now features a manual transmission in the 4x4 version. Additionally, the 2.0 TDI 170PS 4x4 diesel now comes with a six-speed DSG dual clutch transmission.

Class-leading space

The Škoda Superb continues ŠKODA’s tradition of offering a huge amount of space. The Hatch and Estate offer class-leading space in the upper-middle segment, with the largest boot and the most rear seat legroom for passengers. There is now a new function available to make travelling in the back that bit more comfortable: For the first time ever, the front passenger seat can also be easily moved from the rear electronically.

The amount of boot space offered in the Superb remains unbeaten in its class: The Hatch with 595 litres, the Estate 633 litres – both are the ‘best-in-class’. With the back seats folded down, the transport volumes increase to 1,700 and 1,865 litres respectively.

The new ŠKODA Superb - Simply Clever

The new Superb reaffirms its reputation as a clever representative of the upper-middle segment. An umbrella stored in the door, a feature otherwise available only in top-end luxury vehicles, is available. Another ‘Simply Clever’ solution of the new Superb Hatch is still the Twindoor tailgate.

A unique, ŠKODA-patented solution permits the tailgate to be raised in two stages: users can choose to open either the boot lid or the entire tailgate including the rear window. The technology has become even simpler to operate: each opening mode now has its own button.

More ‘Simply Clever’ features include the Jumbo Box in the centre console, storage pockets in the doors and under the passenger seat, the practical sunglasses compartment and also the storage area in the centre armrest of the backseat – all well thought through. This is also true of the boot which offers practical features such as an optional variable boot floor, lockable storage, bag hooks, lashing eyelets and optional holding nets.

The comfort offering in the new Superb has increased significantly with the latest-generation Park Assist. The new system now supports both parallel and reverse bay parking and assists in both entering and leaving parking spaces.

In addition, the new Superb offers superior comfort features such as an electric sunroof with integrated solar cells in the Hatch; the electric panoramic sunroof in the Estate; the automatic lock and start system; KESSY (keyless entry); air conditioning and four modern audio and navigations systems: up to the top navigation system, Columbus, with a 6.5” colour touch screen and integrated 30GB hard drive.

Safety

The Superb puts its best foot forward in terms of safety, as demonstrated by a five-star rating in the Euro NCAP crash test. In EU countries, the Hatch and Estate are fitted with ESP, ABS and Brake Assist as standard. The optional Adaptive Frontlight System (AFS) ensures excellent visibility in the dark.

The optional Hill Hold Control ensures a smooth uphill start without use of the handbrake. An electronic Tyre Pressure Monitor (TPM) is also fitted as standard on the Elegance and range-topping Laurin & Klement trim. In case of an accident, passengers are protected by up to nine airbags as well as three-point seat belts and height-adjustable headrests.

• Like 1

They have changed every panel and the car still looks the same, bar some very slight exterior tweaks. For private buyers the "old" model with the VAT free offer looks much better. No doubt they will up the price and include the VAT, as with the new Octy.

How would anyone have the brown - ivory interior? :'(

It reminds me of the old Austin Allegro, plus you've got to be 80+ and in the hearing aid beige stage of life to like that one.

Jonno

• Like 1

For private buyers the "old" model with the VAT free offer looks much better. No doubt they will up the price and include the VAT, as with the new Octy.

I ordered the 'old' model two weeks ago, found out this week I can't have it due to production being stopped. Fortunately for me I'm getting a 'new' model on the same deal, which I believe will end soon. Glad I went in and paid my deposit when I did and didn't come home to think about it

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone got a link to the CO2 figures for refresh?

You can pick them out of this:

Shanghai/Mladá Boleslav, April 2013 – The fundamentally revised ŠKODA

Superb features drive trains that have become much more efficient, as

evidenced in improved mileage and lower emissions. The 125 kW 2.0 top-ofthe-

line diesel is now available in an attractive combination with double-clutch

transmission and all-wheel drive. Fuel consumption and emissions in ŠKODA’s

flagship have been reduced by up to 19 per cent. In EU countries, all diesel

engines now come with start-stop and recuperation. The ŠKODA Superb

GreenLine consumes just 4.2 l of diesel fuel per 100 km, emitting a mere 109 g

CO2/km.

In all, four petrol and three diesel engines are available in the Superb. The engine

offering ranges from the 1.4 TSI/92 kW petrol engine to the top-of-the-line 3.6 FSI

V6/191 kW. The all-wheel-driven ŠKODA Superb 4×4 comes with a choice of two petrol

and two diesel engines. The all-wheel drive is based on a fourth-generation Haldex

clutch. All engines employ direct fuel injection. All automatic transmissions are modern

DSG double-clutch gearboxes with six or seven speeds. All engines and drive options are

available for both the Superb limousine and the Superb Combi.

Four petrol engines from 92 kW to 191 kW

All petrol engines are TSI turbocharged with direct injection.

The entry-level petrol engine is the 1.4 TSI/92 kW (125 HP). This engine has been

significantly optimised for consumption and comes standard with start-stop and

recuperation for the first time in the Superb. In the front-wheel drive configuration with

manual six-speed transmission, consumption is a mere 5.9 l/100 km (Combi: 6.1 l),

about thirteen per cent less than hitherto. CO2 emissions are 138 g/km (Combi:

142 g/km). Maximum torque of 200 Nm is achieved between 1,500 and 4,000 rpm.

The next more powerful petrol engine for the Superb is the 1.8 TSI/118 kW (160 HP).

Consumption in the front-wheel driven manual-transmission version is 6.8 l/100 km

(Combi: 6.9 l/100 km), with CO2 emissions of 158 g/km (Combi: 160 g/km). The engine

puts out its maximum torque of 250 Nm between 1,500 and 4,500 rpm. Transmission

options are a manual six-speed and an automatic seven-speed DSG. The 1.8 TSI is also

available as an all-wheel drive with a manual six-speed gearbox.

The 2.0 TSI puts out 147 kW (200 HP). This engine is available only in combination

with a six-speed double-clutch transmission and front-wheel drive. Maximum torque of

280 Nm is achieved between 1,700 und 5,000 rpm. Combined-cycle fuel consumption is

7.9 l/100 km (Combi: 8.0 l/100 km), CO2 emissions are 178 g/km (Combi: 180 g/km).

The top-of-the-line petrol engine for the ŠKODA Superb is the 3.6 FSI V6/191 kW

(260 HP). Its fuel consumption and emissions have been lowered by about nine per

cent. Combined-cycle consumption is now 9.3 l/100 km (Combi: 9.3 l/100 km as well)

while CO2 emissions per km are 215 g (Combi: 217 g/km). Hitherto, mileage was

10.1 l/100 km in the limousine. This engine choice is available with an automatic sixspeed

DSG transmission and all-wheel drive. The car’s maximum torque of 350 Nm is

achieved between 2,500 and 5,000 rpm.

Superb diesel engines now with standard start-stop und recuperation

The ŠKODA Superb’s common-rail diesel engines have become even more efficient.

All diesel engines now come standard with start-stop and recuperation in EU countries.

The offering in terms of combinations of diesel engines and gearboxes has been

considerably freshened up. The entry-level 1.6 TDI/77 kW diesel is now optionally

available with an automatic seven-speed DSG transmission, while its manual

transmission now has six instead of five speeds. The 2.0 TDI/103 kW all-wheel-drive

Superb now comes with a six-speed manual transmission, while the 2.0 TDI/125 kW allwheel-

drive Superb now comes with an optional six-speed DSG automatic transmission.

Mileage in the entry-level 1.6 TDI/77 kW (105 HP) diesel engine has been

improved by about eleven per cent. The engine is now fitted with a six-speed manual

transmission (hitherto: five speeds). In the front-wheel drive configuration, the car now

consumes a mere 4.5 l of diesel fuel per 100 km (Combi: 4.6 l/100 km), translating into

CO2 emissions of 117 g/km (Combi: 119 g/km). The four-cylinder engine achieves its

maximum torque of 250 Nm between 1,500 and 2,500 rpm. Available for the first time

with the 1.6 TDI/77 kW in the Superb is an automatic seven-speed DSG transmission.

Mileage in this combination is just 4.6 l/100 km (Combi: 4.7 l/100 km).

The most efficient diesel-powered ŠKODA Superb is the 1.6 TDI/77 kW (105 HP)

GreenLine. Specific optimisation of parameters such as weight, clearance and drag have

permitted to reduce fuel consumption in the Superb GreenLine as a front-wheel drive

limousine with manual transmission to 4.2 l/100 km and CO2 emissions to 109 g/km.

The mid-level diesel engine in the ŠKODA Superb is the 2.0 TDI/103 kW (140 HP),

featuring reductions in fuel consumption and emissions of more than 16 per cent. As a

manual-transmission front-wheel drive, it will consume a mere 4.6 l/100 km (hitherto

5.4 l/100 km). CO2 emissions are as low as 119 g/km (Combi: 121 g/km). Maximum

torque of 320 Nm is achieved between 1,750 and 2,500 rpm. The choice of transmissions

is a manual six-speed and a six-speed automatic DSG. The manual transmission is also

available with all-wheel drive for the first time. Until now, the all-wheel drive

2.0 TDI/103 kW came exclusively with DSG.

The 2.0 TDI/125 kW (170 HP) is the top diesel option for the Superb. Its maximum

torque of 350 Nm is developed between 1,750 and 2,500 rpm. Transmission can be

a six-speed manual or automatic DSG. Consumption in the 2.0 TDI/125 kW with manual

transmission and front-wheel drive is a mere 4.6 litres, an improvement of 19 per cent.

CO2 emissions are 120 g/km. For the first time, the Superb 2.0 TDI/125 kW is now

optionally available with an attractive combination of all-wheel drive and DSG automatic

transmission.

All-wheel drive with advanced Haldex clutch

All-wheel drive in the ŠKODA Superb is based on a fourth-generation Haldex clutch.

The Haldex clutch is an electronically actuated multidisc clutch. In normal driving

situations, the car’s drive goes mostly to the front axle, while the rear axle is uncoupled.

The Haldex clutch, which operates via an electro-hydraulic oil pump, engages the rearaxle

if necessary.

To this end, a control unit permanently computes optimum drive power for the rear axle.

This is done by assessing various parameters such as engine torque, throttle position,

wheel speed and steering angle. The vehicle’s lateral and longitudinal acceleration data

are also taken into account. The control unit then adjusts pressure to the clutch discs so

as to apply drive power to the rear axle as determined based on the computed overall

driving dynamics status. This generally prevents the wheels from spinning even during

quick starts and rapid acceleration.

In my opinion the new skoda superb is magnific. The new front design is very special for this car, and another thing is "simple and clever " Skoda :)

Has a good engine and a good peformance.

Edited by Swisser1989

well it is just a face-lift not an entire new model :think: , the changes are subtle but nice, the front looks very nice especially those front lights, skoda will realize the price will have to come down as to get them shifting out the showrooms to get buyers eyes over the more desirable passat, insignia and mondeo, i like the new look and it resembles the current passat quite well, but the pre fl still looks great as i have a 62 plate one, the prices are getting a bit excessive though, this is my 4th skoda, but when it comes to renewing i will probably go over to vw possibly a passat saloon or estate

Edited by racing boy

skoda will realize the price will have to come down as to get them shifting out the showrooms to get buyers eyes over the more desirable passat, insignia and mondeo

I don't agree that any of those three are more desirable actually, particularly the Insignia.

I don't agree that any of those three are more desirable actually, particularly the Insignia.

how is a passat not more desirable than a superb, if you just look how many more are on the road compared to superbs i think it speaks for itself, although i don't like fords or vauxhall

how is a passat not more desirable than a superb, if you just look how many more are on the road compared to superbs i think it speaks for itself

You can't measure desirability of sales alone.

For me, the Superb looks like a more premium product inside and out than the Passat, particularly the estate.

• Like 2

You can't measure desirability of sales alone.

For me, the Superb looks like a more premium product inside and out than the Passat, particularly the estate.

how not? people clearly prefer as it has that VW badge on it, if i had a vw passat or a skoda superb sitting in front of me and i could hop in any one of them, it would defo be the passat hands down, i only use skoda cause its cheaper
  • Like 1

how not? people clearly prefer as it has that VW badge on it, if i had a vw passat or a skoda superb sitting in front of me and i could hop in any one of them, it would defo be the passat hands down, i only use skoda cause its cheaper

I would hope that most of the people on this forum are here because they like their cars and the brand rather than just because "they're cheaper"

• Like 2

I've got a fair amount of pride and passion for Skoda, it's not just because their good value for money, I started off with a w reg Fabia Comfort, to an Elegance, Bohemia, Mk2 Level 3, and now an Octavia RS, and to be fair yes they were brilliant value for money and a lot less than the equivalent car to this day.

I feel like I've grown with the Skoda brand and I'd still buy one in the future because I believe in the brands values. Choosing which on on the other hand has now become a little more tricky!

The design has evolved, and VW are nice cars, however the Superb comes across more honest, and charming than the Passat.

• Like 1

I would hope that most of the people on this forum are here because they like their cars and the brand rather than just because "they're cheaper"

TBH I think as we go forward more & more people are / will choose their cars for what they are and not the brand.

Audi / VW sit at the top of the pile because VAG want them to, and market them that way. They also restrict the choice of models / equipment with Skoda.

If I had two cars exactly the same, 1 x Skoda & 1 x VW I would choose the Skoda :)

• Like 1

Looks more imposing, and with the added tech etc, should retain its many Car of the Year awards. The back looks a lot neater too now, the one thing that did appear to let it down in the past. A great car made even better.

• 2 weeks later...

Some years ago I was offered a good price toward the purchase of a K&L but the interior colour was so sick I didn't take it up, and bought a new Octavia. This 'new' version isn't 'new' looking and I for one, will only now, will even more consider buying a new Fabia Vrs in place of it!!

My first car was a mk4 16v 1.2 Ford Fiesta, and while the engine really was actually very good I absolutely hated the rest of the car. Replaced it with a mk1 Fabia and decided within the first year of owning it that my next car would be another Skoda. Unpretentious, honest motoring.

If I found myself getting a significant pay rise, could I see myself trading in my new rapid and getting a superb? Almost certainly. (Although definitely not with the hearing aid brown interior!)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

skoda will realize the price will have to come down as to get them shifting out the showrooms to get buyers eyes over the more desirable passat, insignia and mondeo,

A Superb less desirable than an Insignia? Seriously?  :wonder:  Talking to someone in the local garage and mentioned that I was thinking about a Superb (to replace my current Focus Estate) and he was saying that I'd have to go to at least Titanium spec on the Mondeo to match the feel of the Superb. As to the Passat, he pointed out that you see a lot of those with business leasing plates on them - it shouts "middle management". As to the Insignia, it's only a Vectra with a new body...

Got the latest Auto Express (for the Octavia vRS review  :rock: ) and that was suggesting that this Superb will be the last of the "executive" (Audi A6, BMW 5 series, etc) styling and the replacement will be a BMW X5-like SUV. If so then that's a mistake (imho of course).

Jonno

Call me old fashioned, but I have always favoured a pale beige interior with a good smattering of Japanese Wood as opposed to the grey or black and fake aluminium. The dark colours are too gloomy.

Sitting on a nice beige leather seat looking at a wooden dash gives the impression of quality - why do you think Jaguar, Bently and so on just don't do any other trim?

• 3 weeks later...

Right with you there.  The other significant point is the the Superb and Passatt compete in price but the Supurb is larger than an Audi A6, so in terms of value per cubic meter the Supurb is by far the best buy.

• 1 month later...

I picked my Superb III estate last Wednesday. Already done over 400miles in it.

Its a 170bhp diesel. Very quite on the Motorway. Had 3 people in it with a load of stuff in it, got over 48mpg, and I've not exactly got a light foot.

Its more comfy than the "labelled " Mercedes I have just got rid of. I went to a meeting on Sunday and  a friend

Has Just bought a Highline Passat estate. When I looked in side it had the smaller sat nav RNS 315. It looked very small compared with Columbus on My Superb. Also some horrible looking cloth seats. The high line is the top of the range and it did not even have xenon's. That VW badge is very expensive. Most people that have seen my car don't believe its a Skoda.

A cracking looking car with all the toys in it.

Pete