Blackline VRS to Fabia Monte Carlo Tech

Okay; so I've went from a FAF 170bhp Blackline to a 105bhp diesel fabia MC tech...have I lost it or am I going to like this car?

Was swung by the 20 quid road tax, high mpg and 50% less insurance...

Have I lost it ?? :p

Also, Arnold Clark offered more than I owed on the Octavia... Woop woop

You can always map the 105 cr to 130 ish.

Sounds like a good move financially. We've just changed from a Fabia vRS (1.4tsi) to a Rapid (1.2tsi) and its cheaper to run, own and insure etc. Plus the misses will actually drive it... or so she says lol

I think you will be impressed with the Monte Carlo 105. I went from an Octy vRS 2.0 petrol and I am not dissapointed with the Monte's

performance and as has already been said you will enjoy the MPG too!

I changed from Octy PD 140 TDI to a Superb II Greenline 1.9 105 to the Monte CR 105.

I think the Monte feels much quicker than both (makes sense - similar power, loads less weight) and isn't too far behind in terms of build quality and "feel".

Mrs PDI's Golf has the same engine etc (Bluemotion though, so stop/start) and feels Sooooo slow - it is much more relaxed than the Monte, but as a result CANNOT be hurried. Anywhere.

I have driven other beasts recently (Aston Vantage, BMW 535d remapped to about 300bhp, Superb TDI and others) and the Monte doesn't feel too slow (below 4000rpm the Astom was pretty tame - the 535 was mental, but auto hid the sensation of warp speed).

I guess it depends how much you hanker for the performance - it will never be as quick, even if you remap the Monte to 130bhp.

I've not driven a VRS (I'm sure George will be along to rib me about that soon... ;-)), but I find the Monte suspension firm, but good in normal circumstances.

When I don't like it, is when I drive 50% of my journeys on rubbish country roads - the combination of stiffer and lower suspension and rubber band tyres on 17" alloys is not a good one for what are almost cart tracks.

Now, that is my look out - I didn't expect it to be so bad and other cars I have taken down that road are fine - less stiff, bigger sidewalls.

If you don't intend to do much on those kinds of roads, you will find the Monte has good body control (it's no Ferrari, but it doesn't wallow as much as a standard Golf) and rides fines - beware the new bolt down speed bumps - it seems to jar a lot over those, again, more due to lack of give in the tyres.

I love body roll and articulation or movement in my suspension.

It assists greatly IMHO on roads in the UK with cambers and dips which is often the majority that do not have Bowling Green like surfaces.

& Never much of a problem on Motorways and major roads that do have smoother surfaces and very little camber.

george

Good, because they go from Mini Roundabouts to Huge single and double roundabouts and slip roads.

Suspension that copes with all sorts and differing conditions like Weights from Unladen to Max Gross is a good thing.

Its good that there is a choice of cars for everyone available.

Millions of them negotiating Roundabouts & junctions and all sorts of roads everyday.

The UK National speed limit is 60 & 70 MPH.

Not many cars for sale that can not cope safely or comfortably at those speeds even with rubbish ECO tyres.

& nobody is forced to do the Speed limit if they think slower is better.

george

What? Even at 30mph around a massive roundabout it leans far too much and you have to hold on so you don't fall out of your seat. Wouldn't call that "good" myself.

What? Even at 30mph around a massive roundabout it leans far too much and you have to hold on so you don't fall out of your seat. Wouldn't call that "good" myself.

You are joking, not in sports seats, unless, of course, you are going a lot faster than 30

You are joking, not in sports seats, unless, of course, you are going a lot faster than 30

Lol im not sure how this guy would cope with a standard fabia lol

While i agree the body rolls i wouldn't say its an unacceptable amount.

And at no point have i felt id fall out of the seat through corners.

As mentioned above the movement for british roads its a good blend of stiffness and movement (if that makes sense)

Stiff enough to drive quickly yet enough movement in suspension to deal with the various roads we have in the UK