EGR FAULT - IS THIS COMMON?

EGR fault is common problems for 1.6 tdi. My local dealer back shed was full of faulty EGR's when I come to ask about the problem I had with it.

Can not remember but found the parts outside of EOM for about 300 pounds and indy charge me £250 for fitting so £550 all in. Mileage was about 100k

• 1 month later...

mines just kicked in with glow plug light,and showing code 0403 egr etc, this is on a taxi thats a mix of town and motorway miles, cars does 1000 odd miles each week, going to local garage ,that does all the services,mot etc. not looking forward to the bill  :devil:

Edited by trucknetjack

If you got 1.9TDI then EGR is accessable. You can try to clean it yourself. For later 1.6 and 2.0 TDI that EGR valve is hardly accessable and it takes a lot of time to remove it.

Actually, it isn't that expensive. The labour is. In your case it shouldn't be much.

Anyway, I vote for disabling it :)

• 4 months later...

I have a Skoda Superb, 2013 make, 1.6 liters engine and it is the third time I have problems with the EGR and I ve noticed they appear a few days after I change oil. Next time I will try one of those oil additives. First time when the EML and coil indicators light up Skoda dealer quoted the repair at £840 but the lights went off by themselves after a long run on the motorway (my car had 61000, was out of warranty). The second time I went to a local garage and they quoted £640 to change the EGR on my car but this time I solved the problem by having the EGR system cleaned by a professional using a method of decarbonisation that cost me only £150. Now, at 97000 miles, the lights are on again on my dashboard and I intend to clean it by the same method. Maybe will be helpful to mention that I am using my car for taxi and sometimes I run days at low speed, only in town.

So the solution for clogged EGR on VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda, I think is the cleaning by the decarbonisation method and using a good recommended engine oil, maybe with an additive in it. Browsing the internet I ve found out that oil vapors can get in the EGR system and stick to the metal parts favorizing the carbon build up.

Ours gave up at about 80K.

Skoda UK 'Good Will' covered the replacement EGR valve but it still hit me in the pocket for £600 worth of labour.#

Now use BP Ultimate Diesel every 4th tank and give it a blast on the M-way on a more regular basis. (All within the speed limit of course - 70mph in 4th keeps the RPM nice and high).

• 5 months later...

I also have 2011 Octavia 1.6...

the glow plug light came on and after a diagnostic check it said that the AGR sensor was the fault. I took it to the garage and they had it all day. they told me they changed the converter??? and it was all fine they charged me £131.62 and I was content. however I didn't get 200meters from the garage before the glow plug light came back on so I took it back the diagnostic computer indicated the same problem now they want £500 to fix it. I am totally gutted...

What is that converter?

Anyway, if they changed something and it didn't solve the problem, I think you have the rights to ask for your money back.

The solution for this engine - disable the EGR totally (lots of topics about that). Will be cheaper than changing it and it will be eternal solution.

• 4 years later...

It's located down the back of the engine & is hard to get at, 3 or 4 hours work.

Cleaning will only delay the next failure.

Plastic gears inside strip, you can get replacements from Tafmet & other companies, Google is your friend.

Otherwise fit an EGR Emulator ( disables EGR ), if your conscience can live with your engine putting out more NOX.

An emulator is an electrical device that fools the ECU into thinking the EGR is fully functional, when it is actually disabled.

It plugs into the electrical connector that is normally plugged into the EGR valve, & also plugs into the MAF sensor.

Takes about half an hour to fit.

This will solve your problem if the problem is the EGR sticking or partially stuck open.

The hardest part is finding & disconnecting the EGR plug which is down the back of the engine.

You will need a mirror & torch to find it.

The DPF will still function as normal.

This is one on eBay :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-Valve-Simulator-Repair-1-6-TDI-VW-Audi-Seat-Skoda-CAYA-CAYB-CAYC-CAYD/143326591746?hash=item215eee3b02:g:3UQAAOSwSnRdJzkz

You need to check your engine code to see if it the correct one.

I have only used  Tafmet ones, but they don't list one for the 1.6 engine at the moment, may be out of stock.

Your engine will produce more NOX after fitting, but NOX is not tested at the MOT, yet.

Edited by PipH
  • Like 1