Advice on changing the dashboard fascia panels Superb I

Hi all,

First post so I hope this question is in the right place.

I am the proud owner of a 07 plate Superb 2.0 TDi Elegance. I bought it from my local dealer last September and I am very happy with it so far.

One thing that I am still deciding whether I like or not is the wood effect trim around the head unit, gearstick and down the doors:

I've searched some possible replacement kits on Google but I'd like to know how easy it is to replace from some experts, and whether anyone could recommend a good supplier?

I've had a browse of the forum but I could not find a topic on this subject.

Cheers,

James

post-102153-0-26370700-1365621752_thumb.jpg

post-102153-0-83477200-1365621753_thumb.jpg

post-102153-0-83605900-1365621754_thumb.jpg

Looks like a pain of a job, would be tempted to live with it...

You have leather seats, so if you want armrests that match I think you are looking an edition 100 (which has gloss black with black leather) - not many of them about. I think the only other nice insert is out of the Laurin & Klement version (like a zebra print type wood), but they have light colour leather inserts.

The card inserts don't come out particularly easily, so you are probably looking at replacing the door cards.

Seriously, if you've got time to spend on this, better off investing it in checking out the posts on water ingress instead! :)

dash area is simple, slightly more challanging will be the trims on the door but the use of a picture always make things look a bit easier.

post-3566-0-23728000-1365659650_thumb.png

Hi,

Thanks for the advice - I'll keep the door picture somewhere for future reference.

I'm wary of damaging trim so I won't attempt it without knowing exactly where all the fixing points are. I remember what a mess I made of an earlier cars door panels when I tried to take of the door cards!

Unless a set of trim falls into my lap from a scrap one I'll think I'll learn to live with it - the kids like it.

Cheers,

James

Edited by Tall Order

I've had a look regarding the mention on water ingress above and seriously worried myself!

I'll take a look at the earliest opportunity.

Thats the value of forums like this.

Regards,

James

cool, it actually looks like the capping unclips from the door trims, it is just the leather sections that are "integrated".

If you do take the door cards off, it would be worth your while soaking the doors from the outside as the metal door panel under the trim is one source of leaks.

The 2.0 can give you a big bill at some point too so worth searching for that...

cool, it actually looks like the capping unclips from the door trims, it is just the leather sections that are "integrated".

If you do take the door cards off, it would be worth your while soaking the doors from the outside as the metal door panel under the trim is one source of leaks.

The 2.0 can give you a big bill at some point too so worth searching for that...

Thanks for the heads up - I did find a quote to stay away from the 2.0 Tdi on here while I was browsing :sweat:

It is low mileage (40,000 miles) and it did come from a dealer as I said - but I suppose that's no gaurantee of a good checkover. I do have a 12 month warranty though (up to Sept 2013).

Sometimes I think its better to be blissfully unaware of these things!!!!

Cheers,

James

As said previously, the dash trims just need a gentle pull. I have removed the same trims several times on my own. The cigarette pocket is attached with (if I remember correctly) 3-4 screws. To remove screws, you need to remove the trim around the radio and climatronic and the trim around gear lever. Then it will reveal the screws. Also you need to remove (just pull out) the cigarette pocket "pocket".

Rear trims are kinda same. Just pull off.

Door trims (if again I remember correctly) are actually welded to doors, but I don't mean metal welded :D. The trims have a plastic inserts on back of them. If they are installed in factory, they are melted so they wont fall of from door cards. To change these, you need to melt them again and just wiggle them out. Inserting new ones (even if you get them from junkyard) you can install them with double sided thin tape. I remember there was a thread about this, but don't know where.

If I remember, then I will take some pictures, when I take my door card off this weekend or next week.

Cheers Browser,

Some pictures of the real thing can only help. Its not a urgent job, as I don't hate the current wood effect, but the more I know about how to complete the job the better.

On the water front I opened the battery chamber last night and was pleasently surprised to see how clean and dry it was (considering it was raining here yesterday). I will take the battery out when I get time and see if those pesky rubber grommets are still in there.

Cheers,

James

Edited by Tall Order

You should look at the pollen filter housing too. Despite my bungs being out, there was a collection of crud around the pollen filter housing (near the bonnet hinge) making a dam, directing water onto the infamous pollen filter seal, and then it wicks up into the seal and down the other side. At the very least, it is necessary to ensure the area is spotlessly clean to allow the water to run away instead of pooling, but really you ned to make sure the pollen filter housing seal is replaced with something better.

You should look at the pollen filter housing too. Despite my bungs being out, there was a collection of crud around the pollen filter housing (near the bonnet hinge) making a dam, directing water onto the infamous pollen filter seal, and then it wicks up into the seal and down the other side. At the very least, it is necessary to ensure the area is spotlessly clean to allow the water to run away instead of pooling, but really you ned to make sure the pollen filter housing seal is replaced with something better.

Hi,

Ok will do. Do I need to take off the windscreen shield and wiper blades to clean the housing? I realise I will have to if I want to upgrade the seal but I'd like to remove as little as possible to clean it! But I suppose its not worth doing half a job.

I hope to check under the carpet too. I do not have any of the symptoms, but while I'm under warranty I want to check it out. Of course whether Skoda would do anything under warranty is another thing!

Are there professionals out thare that will upgrade the seal?

Regards,

James

Edited by Tall Order

I think a torch and taking off the flexible cover that the battery cover sits in might be enough to peer down the side of the pollen filter, but crud can be all around it (and at the back) which you can only get to by removing the housing. The windshield cover is a bit of a pain.

The used approved warranty makes a point of saying that water ingress isn't covered. I got the supplying dealer to pay another dealer to remove the bungs for me, but they should have really done the seal as that was the problem in my case.

Best not to leave it too long to check; my car was your age when it started letting in a little, I only noticed because having read on here about it I was paranoid and kept checking under the carpets when it rained!

I guess most independents should know how to do this; there are two ways, a ton of silicone sealant, or the proper VW cord. I'd use the VW cord personally as I imagine you'll get the smell of sealant for a while if you use silicone. Annoyingly if you go and buy a filter housing from VW it still comes with the poor quality foam seal fitted, to this day!

PS did you see this, someone selling a whole dark wood trim set for Superb on fleabay

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a8020c5d8

Hi,

Yes i did see that on ebay. I think i'll concentrate on the water problem first. And he does say there are some minor scratches on it.

Where is the best place to check under the carpet? I had a look in the rear footwell and it was not obvious as to the best way to get the carpet back.

Cheers,

James

The back is the lowest point in the car (and the water ends up there from driving the car forward) - but if it is raining or has rained recently you can probably check the front - that is what I did. Getting under the carpet is more difficult in the back - I think the back seat base has to come out - whereas in the front you need to push the seat all the way back, undo a screw on the plastic trim panel just below the glovebox near the front door hinge, pop that panel off (there is a push clip at the top of the trim panel, and then a clip you need to slide around backwards at the bottom); then the plastic capping over the door edge can be pulled upwards (quite hard, metal clips into the car bodY) and you can then get an arm (if not too big) under the carpet You'll feel the CCM in a plastic tub in a "bathtub" in the bottom. Be careful that the clips on the plastic over the door edge run in a different direction once you reach the seatbelt holder, so if you are too harsh you might damage some of the clips.

Hi Jimbof,

Again - thanks for taking the time to explain that. I've got my torch ready and I'm armed with enough info to move forward. I think I'll speak to my local garage about the potential seal replacement as he is good and I trust his work/opinion. But at least I have the knowledge of the problem area and symptoms. I'm a lot better informed than last week.

If it stops raining long enough tomorrow I'll get the superb out of its cosy garage and have a poke around.

I'm really pleased with the car despite all this new knowledge!

Thanks again,

James

Actually this has been covered in this forum so many times, that I am surprised that nobody has written a whole DIY (not only sealing the filter housin), but checking all the carpets and removing the trims etc.

So for the filter. You can do it by not removing the wiper arms and the plastic cover, but what a PITA it is. I did it for i think 4 hours, pack of cigarettes and a 6pack :D. It is quite impossible to get the filter housing out and more painful to get it in with sealant. So if you have time and tools, remove the plastic cover with wiper arms also. It is worth it ;)

For the carpet, do exactly what jimbof said. To remove the rear seat lower part, you just need to pull hard upwards from the front end of the seat and then push it to rear end of the car. Then you can get it out. Simple as that. When you get it out, you realize how it is connected to frame. :)

You can actually get your fingers under the rear air air vent that's under the front passenger seat. Have a care as there are sharp edges on the plastics but you can feel down to the floor pan.

Gaz

on the topic of changing the dash trim colour. i changed mine as i had the pd100 classic trim which was just plain plastic so wrapped it in gloss black vinyl wrap i purchased off the Bay and once i wrapped it all i was impressed at the big improvement it made.. looked very similar to the trim from the edition 100 superbs. soon im gonna buy some silver vinyl wrap to retrim the dash again as i would like to try and replicate the silver trim you get in modern cars such as that in my dads 2009 highline passat. if it doesnt look good i will simply peel the wrap off and buy another colour :-) a simple and ratehr cost effective way of improving the appearance of the interior. :rock:

DCP_4145Small.jpg

This is the gloss black interior trim in the edition 100 which is how mine looked once it was wrapped. :giggle:

Hi,

I would like black ideally and that looks really nice. I had wondered if the current wood effect could be covered as I'm not keen on mucking about with the door panels and I could cover them without removing them. I don't suppose you know the details of the ebay supplier of the vinyl?

Alternatively I need to keep an eye out for a set from a scrap edition 100!

Cheers,

James