Many pounds make light work (after the warrantee has expired)

Sidevalve_Minor

Towards the end of last summer, my Yeti was around 18 months old at the time, I noticed that the temperature gauge needle illumination had failed. As it wasn't a critical failure and as my nearest dealer is a round trip of some 52 miles, I decided to leave it until the next (second) service.

At service time (last January) I reported the fault when booking the service. When I returned to pick up the car, I was told that they couldn't fix the light failure as a replacement part had to be ordered, fair enough. After a couple of weeks I phoned the dealer to check on progress and was told the part had to be ordered from the factory in the Czech Republic.

More waiting and several phone calls later (early April now) I was told that the part had arrived (hooray) and as they would be changing the complete instrument cluster, would need both ignition keys for re-programming(?).

The work was carried out yesterday and I now have the little temperature needle glowing a friendly white again. When I picked the car up I asked, just for interest, how much the repair would cost out of warrantee. The answer was £800 for parts, plus labour, plus vat, so probably not much change from £1200 to get one panel light working again. I wonder how much an extended warrantee costs.................

S_M

Towards the end of last summer, my Yeti was around 18 months old at the time, I noticed that the temperature gauge needle illumination had failed. As it wasn't a critical failure and as my nearest dealer is a round trip of some 52 miles, I decided to leave it until the next (second) service.

At service time (last January) I reported the fault when booking the service. When I returned to pick up the car, I was told that they couldn't fix the light failure as a replacement part had to be ordered, fair enough. After a couple of weeks I phoned the dealer to check on progress and was told the part had to be ordered from the factory in the Czech Republic.

More waiting and several phone calls later (early April now) I was told that the part had arrived (hooray) and as they would be changing the complete instrument cluster, would need both ignition keys for re-programming(?).

The work was carried out yesterday and I now have the little temperature needle glowing a friendly white again. When I picked the car up I asked, just for interest, how much the repair would cost out of warrantee. The answer was £800 for parts, plus labour, plus vat, so probably not much change from £1200 to get one panel light working again. I wonder how much an extended warrantee costs.................

FRIGHTENING

S_M

S_M