Dashboard needles drop to zero

Hi folks, 1998 Octavia Estate diesel. Intermittently the four needles on the dash (revs, temp, fuel, speed) all drop to zero while driving. The pop back usually after a while. Sometimes they can be off for an hour or so, sometimes on for an hour or so without fault, usually the gaps between on and off are much shorter than that. Doesn't seem to be related to engine temp, it can do be on or off from cold or after a good run. Occasionally it seems that going over a bump or flicking the indicators on will cause it to go on or off, but it's probably easy to imagine that, and it certainly doesn't consistently respond to these prompts. I've tried switching everything I can think of on and off in case it suddenly makes it work.

Took it to my local Skoda dealer who had a look, scratched their heads and didn't find the problem. They say the next thing to do is take all the dash out, at least £250 worth of work. Way beyond me to tackle, so I think I'll have to let them do it.

But before I do I thought I'd ask here in case anyone has some idea to try before I part with all those pounds, or something I can tell the guys there that might help pinpoint and cure it quickly.

Many thanks for any ideas

Andy

Sounds like an earth/ground fault on the dash instruments if all of them go off at the same time

Thanks - yes they do all go off at the same time. Just the needles - all the dash lamps still work. Does that signify anything to help cure it?

iT IS A SPEED SENOR OR A FUSE ?? hAD THE SAME FAULT ON MINE.

cHEERS

tIM

Thanks - if it were a speed sensor would the fuel / temp / revs all go off at the same time as the speedo? I assumed the mechanics had checked fuses, but perhaps I should just to be sure ... is there a fuse for just those four instruments? Is it accessible?

Fuses dont blow and then suddenly work again, unless its a thermal fuse like used on electric windows.

I'd try unplugging the dash cluster and plugging it back in again and seee what happens. For it all to stop working its got to be a dash fault or a common supply/earth fault.

• 1 year later...

I have exactly the same problem and recently the dashboard gauge needles have all stopped working. The local Skoda dealer checked it and says I need to replace the dashboard unit, at a cost of £480.00 !!

It seems to me that it could be a dry joint in the dashboard panel but the dealer said the unit is sealed and cannot be opened. I am in the process of deciding if I should try something else before letting the dealer replace the dash. If anyone has some tips on what I could first do, I would appreciate it.

I am currently having the same problem and it is driving me nuts! There seems to be quite a few people on this forum with this problem. Probably a known Skoda issue.

I took the instrumentation cluster out this evening to take a look. This is easy. The black plastic surround pops out after removing the two screws located under the round caps at the top. Next out is the clear plastic - this pops out - be careful taking this out as the tabs are prone to breakage (one of mine went). Then its time to undo the two screws holding the dash unit in and pop the lower grommets. You will have two cable connectors going to the right and left side. The one on the left appears to power it. I started it up without the right one disconnected and it cuts the engine after ignition so it is possibly related to the immobiliser. I removed the dash unit by unhooking the two cable connnectors that are held in with small levers. About 10 minutes work.

This unit is not 'sealed' It is possible to open it up - 2 screws and a few tabs. I reconnected it back to the cables in the dash and used an insulated screwdriver just to push various components on the board to test for a possible loose connection, but no luck! The top of the board seems inaccessible because that is where the clocks are. I suspect it is related to the power supply for the needles as all 4 go at the same time. Also there is a speaker on the board which looses power aswell (used to warn if you have left your lights on) - this stops worknig too.

I am going to try and get my hands on a second hand unit although this could be tricky. Does anyone know if the mileage is stored in the dash unit or in the ECU?

Cheers!

Mileage is stored in the dash unit, however your biggest problem with a 2nd hand unit is going to be the imobiliser. Without the pin number its going to be impossible to program your keys to the imobiliser. Otherwise you will need the barrels and keys that match the donor cluster.

I'm another one with this annoying fault. Again a 1999 GLX 1.9TDi. Something fishy if we all suffer from the same thing! I've tried removing the clocks, removing the dash around the clocks and generally waggling everything that could be waggled looking for a loose wire but to no avail. I take it the dealers are no help?

Simon

I've got exactly the same problem. 4 Needles drop to ZERO, and "Lights on" warning alarm doesn't work when the dash doesn't.

It must be bad wiring as the gauges seem to work now and then, but it is indeed very annoying. And it seems that a replacement part is rather expensive.....

If a lot of people are having the same problem, is there no way to go to SKODA and demand a solution? 480£ for a new dash, replacing it by a second hand one is not an option because there is a big chance that it will have the same problem in no time... This part isn't under any load or can't be handled in a wrong way, so why is it breaking down so often?

Btw, can I remove my dash, open it and search for the problem without starting problems after putting it back ?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I am having the same problem to. Mine is also a 1999 reg, but a 1.6 glxi model. At 1st it was very intermitant, but then it was off more than on. I thought this last week it had totally gone dead, but today they flashed up briefly again :s

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I am having the same problem to. One of my friends said the four needles on the dash (revs, temp, fuel, speed) are working on common 5V. There is a Voltage

Regulator in the dashboard and maybe this is the faulty one.

OK I had this problem on my 1999 LXI Octy, I found a thread on this forum and in desperation tried it after many phone calls and discussions with people discovering this is a common problem, price for instrument panels (£350-£600) + vat plus labour for coding immobiliser contained within cluster to ecu PLUS LABOUR for fitting. Many panic attacks and night sweats later .. I took number 15 fuse (brown 5amp) out of the fusebox, This should bypass the problem and your dials should work but your digital clock and trip will reset everytime the ignition is turned off. This has worked on my octy and been fine for a week now. If you find this doesn't work for you find a good auto electricon If your near Norfolk I found a good one , Ps I took out the intrument panel completely to try some contact spray on the back initially, A real bitch to get out the facia surround, The tip is to get a screwdriver from the top and push down on the lower edge of the facia surround to release pronged clips that are part of the surround the haynes manual makes no mention of this!! Anyway the instrument cluster panel contains an immobilising device and is coded to the ECU (so getting a second hand inst cluster is not an easy option) If the removal of the fuse doesn't work then try an auto electrician they can normally be repaired for around £100- 150.. Mines now been working fine now without the fuse for nearly 2 weeks... All the best Chris

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have the answer. I have written before they are two voltage regulator ICs (TLE4279g and TLE4276g). The 4276g is responsible for the analogue indicators. Usually the problem is dry joints of these IC! Solder around the two smd IC’s!

• 3 years later...

OK I had this problem on my 1999 LXI Octy, I found a thread on this forum and in desperation tried it after many phone calls and discussions with people discovering this is a common problem, price for instrument panels (�350-�600) + vat plus labour for coding immobiliser contained within cluster to ecu PLUS LABOUR for fitting. Many panic attacks and night sweats later .. I took number 15 fuse (brown 5amp) out of the fusebox, This should bypass the problem and your dials should work but your digital clock and trip will reset everytime the ignition is turned off. This has worked on my octy and been fine for a week now. If you find this doesn't work for you find a good auto electricon If your near Norfolk I found a good one , Ps I took out the intrument panel completely to try some contact spray on the back initially, A real bitch to get out the facia surround, The tip is to get a screwdriver from the top and push down on the lower edge of the facia surround to release pronged clips that are part of the surround the haynes manual makes no mention of this!! Anyway the instrument cluster panel contains an immobilising device and is coded to the ECU (so getting a second hand inst cluster is not an easy option) If the removal of the fuse doesn't work then try an auto electrician they can normally be repaired for around �100- 150.. Mines now been working fine now without the fuse for nearly 2 weeks... All the best Chris

hi rachchris as u can tell, im a newbie. ive just read your post, about dash needles dropping to zero all the time, i have a 99 octy 1.6 glx i.

iv'e just been to my motor, removed the number 15 fuse, and everything has started working again, i can't believe it, i just want to sat thank you so much for your post, it's really helped a lot. cheers mate.