Benefits of using BP Ultimate diesel?

Don't normally stick this in because its costs too much but can you really see a difference?? I do a lot of milage so will I see improvements across the board mpg, responsiveness/performance, smoke will it work better with my map etc.

Much love

On my previous VRS I tried normal diesel, shell V power diesel and racing diesel.

Not sure if you've come across the latter but it's great for self refueling as it's not nasty stuff like regular diesel and has a higher cetane rating.

It's not cheap though and they deliver it to your house in drums.

Anyway, in terms of power there was little difference, the car will generally perform how it is set up to do.

But what I did notice that the better diesel used the less smoke there was.

Any other benefits could be put down to the desire for change as it cost more, in other words the placeebo effect.

Yeah well tbh I don't know why I put it in at £1.50 a litre lol but I thought meh it's Friday hahaha just curious to know why and what justifys it to be that price instead of £1.32 a litre I hope it lasts a while also I'm hoping it will give the pipes a slight clean out ready for a nice service!

I've started using v power diesel after I had my turbo rebuilt due to clogged turbo veins. The car smokes less and for what I've been told the better diesel won't clog your turbo up as quick

I used BP ultimate from day 1 of my MK1 VRS ownership.

The Car hardly smoked and just felt slightly more eager to accelerate compared with other VRS's running on supermarket or standard Derv. (could have just been the placebo effect)

for an extra £3 or so per tank I saw it as a small price to pay! Being a 'petrol head' I see it as another hobby to look after my cars therefore just see it as another Mod to run it on good quality fuel.

• Like 1

I use Esso diesel and every fourth fill up I use Shell V power.

I don't notice any difference to be honest I just do it in the belief it will help keep things clean.

I don't get smoke using either.

I can't comment on MPG as I don't do a massive amount of miles

Isn't it best for you ECU if you use the same fuel on every fill up? As it adjusts to the fuel that you use. So using standard and then every so often use a 'premium' you won't see much difference as for that tank the ECU will be thrown out by the different fuel?

Just something that I read/heard a while ago

I use branded standard diesel in my vRS, normally it's shell as the garage that sells it is 1p a litre cheaper than both local supermarkets. I also put millars in too which they claim increases the creatine value. I've so far filled up 3 times and I'm getting 2-3 mpg more. Whether this is a direct result of using millars or because of other factors I can't say, but the engine does seem to run smoother with it in. I've also started putting millers in SHWBO 1.9 PD Seat and have experienced similar results, though again as far as the fuel consumption is concerned it's difficult to say if the addition of millars is either partly or totally responsible. The main reason I've done this though is in an attempt to help the DPF by using diesel that produces less soot. To me millars is a good compromise between using just standard and super diesel such as v power which far more expensive than using the standard shell/millers combination. On ebay millers is under £10 and treats 500 litres so costs just 2p per litre extra over standard dieselwhich I think is good value.

As mentioned before you will need to use a couple of tanks so the ecu recognises fuel difference and sticks to one or the other.

Ran my vRS on 99 Ron shell stuff from day one - next owner should follow suit or it might run rough for a few hundred miles.

Believe it affects turbo petrols more than diesels.

• Like 1

Yeah well tbh I don't know why I put it in at £1.50 a litre lol but I thought meh it's Friday hahaha just curious to know why and what justifys it to be that price instead of £1.32 a litre I hope it lasts a while also I'm hoping it will give the pipes a slight clean out ready for a nice service!

£1.32?! I was v happy to find £1.40 regular BP! I was rubbing my eyes just to double check I didn't read it wrong (stupid BP green glow lights).

Anyway, millers additive whenever I have time and remember to put it in.. :)

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

I drive about 500 miles a week in my RS. I've tried all types of fuel to see the difference.

I always try and fill up with BP Ulimtate diesel, it is a much cleaner fuel and you can tell, I get a slightly better response and notable cleaner fumes and dust on the rear. (Due to less sulphur particles than the standard 500 BP Diesel).

Using the ultimate wasn't as economically as the standard, and would vary on my driving style to each day. On average you perhaps lose about 50 miles, per tank, give or take.

Interestly, when filling up with supermarket fuel, Sainsburys or Tesco city diesel (not esco) It was noticeable that I would achieve around 50 miles less per tank than BP Diesel, and it was even more hungry with a heavy foot.

End result.

Never buy supermarket fuel... why? because you think you're saving 5p per litre, but your not saving anything, it's really break even in cost to a better refined fuel such as BP fuel or Esco. (You're probably using more, I was)

Choice between BP Diesel and BP Ulimate... If you're conscious about environmental population, do your bit and spend that extra few pence on the ultimate for a cleaner more responsive fuel. You won't get quite as many miles per the gallon, but it is a even more refined fuel, and you can tell the difference if you chose to notice it.

With the long winter, low temps, the Ultimate probably performs that bit better too in terms of combustion.

Edited by Anthony Brown

Are you familiar with how fuel is distributed in the UK? The reason I ask is all petrol stocks come from the same local refinery facilities, irrespective of who owns or operates the facility. The difference is down to the card swiped when filling the tanker. That is to say all petrol (except Shell V Power) comes from the same source, the card used determines the additive package. V Power is kept in a separate silo so it's base composition is different. I don't know for a fact that diesel is the same however I'd be very surprised if it wasn't, in essence you pay for branded fuel due to the extra cleaning and detergent package, not the 'quality' of the fuel.

• Like 1

Are you familiar with how fuel is distributed in the UK? The reason I ask is all petrol stocks come from the same local refinery facilities, irrespective of who owns or operates the facility. The difference is down to the card swiped when filling the tanker. That is to say all petrol (except Shell V Power) comes from the same source, the card used determines the additive package. V Power is kept in a separate silo so it's base composition is different. I don't know for a fact that diesel is the same however I'd be very surprised if it wasn't, in essence you pay for branded fuel due to the extra cleaning and detergent package, not the 'quality' of the fuel.

Hmm.. Asda underwear come from the same factory as M&s underwear but doesn't mean it's the same quality..

I don't know enough how refinery works but I wouldn't be all surprised that some brands of fuel gets 'refined better' than others but still from the same source.

Or example closer to home, Buxton bottled water vs midlands tap water..?

Hmm.. Asda underwear come from the same factory as M&s underwear but doesn't mean it's the same quality..

I don't know enough how refinery works but I wouldn't be all surprised that some brands of fuel gets 'refined better' than others but still from the same source.

Or example closer to home, Buxton bottled water vs midlands tap water..?

From your analogy you seem to have totally missed the point, it's the exact same fuel from the same silo. BP, Shell, Esso, Supermarket, it all comes from the same tank. The only difference is the additive package that's put in, that's what makes the difference. More detergents and octane boosters etc. will change how the fuel performs but it isn't any different until the point it's put in the tanker with the additive package.

From your analogy you seem to have totally missed the point, it's the exact same fuel from the same silo. BP, Shell, Esso, Supermarket, it all comes from the same tank. The only difference is the additive package that's put in, that's what makes the difference. More detergents and octane boosters etc. will change how the fuel performs but it isn't any different until the point it's put in the tanker with the additive package.

I'm still not following, tankers of different brands go to the refinery and fill up from the same silo same fuel? Ok, so next it goes to their branded refinery to add their additives or refine the fuel some more, then trucks to the pumps?

What I'm trying to understand is when they add the extras in could they also refine it some more at the same time? Or are you trying to say the place where they insert additives is simply a big bottle of miller's equivalent dispenser? I would've thought the facility is cleverer than that.