MDi socket

awfabia

There used to be a price of around £150 in the brochure for MDi socket to connect i-pods so you can control tracks etc from the radio head unit but this is not listed in the current brochure.

Anyone know if it is now standard or unavailable now? Dealers unsure but Briskoda guys will know......

Well it's on page 25 of mine with February 2013 on the front cover, so perhaps they're giving out different ones in the showrooms to the one on the net, however if you download it from the net via the link I have given above (http://www.skoda.co.uk/tools/request-a-brochure) it is on page 27 of this one with April 2013 on the front cover.

Well it's on page 25 of mine with February 2013 on the front cover, so perhaps they're giving out different ones in the showrooms to the one on the net, however if you download it from the net via the link I have given above (http://www.skoda.co....uest-a-brochure) it is on page 27 of this one with April 2013 on the front cover.

That's very odd :wonder: My brochure came direct from Skoda via a website request (after my local dealer argued with me that their 2012 brochure was the latest one). Looks like there must have been different versions of the February one (mine says 'Edition UK 02/13' on the rear cover).

Cheers for the link to the April one - I didn't know that existed - I'll have to have a look through that now and see what's changed.

Not a problem, and with regards the OP, here are the relevant parts of the relevant pages from both of this year's brochures.

February 2013

post-57924-0-13390400-1366391693_thumb.png

April 2013

post-57924-0-40620500-1366391699_thumb.png

Edited by wilkenstein

There used to be a price of around £150 in the brochure for MDi socket to connect i-pods so you can control tracks etc from the radio head unit but this is not listed in the current brochure.

Anyone know if it is now standard or unavailable now? Dealers unsure but Briskoda guys will know......

I don't know what you mean by 'used to' but it's only been available to order (on the Yeti) from 12/2/2013 ('available' according to the configurator a few days before that).

It's available to order on the dealers' ordering system and, as others have already said, it's £175

I inspected my new car (due for collection Monday) yesterday & confirmed that mine has been fitted correctly, and that it is the 'traditional' MDI connection (not the USB thing that's being fitted to the Rabid)

I inspected my new car (due for collection Monday) yesterday & confirmed that mine has been fitted correctly

I've ordered MDI for my (soon to be built) L&K - where is the MDI socket located on a Yeti ?

Also, my dealer said the £175 includes the ipod cable - is that correct ?

I believe the socket is in the small cubby hole below the climate controls. I didn't think the price included any lead, as you have the choice of USB or iPod types. I just bought an iPod lead for £10 from the bay of E's for my awaited L&K.

I've ordered MDI for my (soon to be built) L&K - where is the MDI socket located on a Yeti ?

Also, my dealer said the £175 includes the ipod cable - is that correct ?

As Kenny R says, yes it is in the central cubby hole.

As I understand it, the £175 cost does include the cable, but it's not put in the car at the factory. The dealer has to order it in (I think they're given a code/credit so that it doesn't cost them), so it does depend on the dealer being on the ball.

P.S. I also got one off the 'bay' before I realised, though mine only cost £9.99 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Skoda-iPod-Connecting-Cable-MDI-AZO800001-/130878396969?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160

Its not in my February brochure either, but I was made aware of it through this forum.

However two different dealers have told me not to bother with it as its not worth the expense (in their opinion).

I may live to regret it but I havent ordered one.

MarieK - I would say this is a personal thing, how do the dealers know if you have an iPod/mp3 player that you use regularly?

If you do, it may be worth ordering. I don't so didn't order it

Well I did mention that I use my iphone for music in the car. They both said that bluetooth should suffice :wonder:

Anyway, I've since added a columbus satnav and will likely put most of my music onto the hard drive of that.

I have a columbus ordered but have decided to go with the MDI. My reasoning is based on iPod usage and the wish to control one through the steering wheel and head unit controls. I don't know whether bluetooth gives that-and controlling through the phone seems less convenient. I have one of the tiny (wris****ch size) nanos that lives in the car and will hide in the lower cubby.

• Like 1

Yep see that's what I do now in my Juke, I use the car unit to scroll, select etc my iphone music.

But in my experience the dealers were reluctant to add mdi to my order. Why, I have no idea?!

I didn't include MDI in my original order, but added it a few weeks later - the Dealer was happy to do so.

I had a Columbus in my last car (Octavia VRS) and while it is an excellent piece of kit, I didn't use the HDD at all for music - it was just too time consuming to update with new tracks, and playlists were awkward. I just used a 32Gb SD card in the slot which worked OK, and was easier updated, but I found that 'Mix' (or random play) tended to play the same tracks again and again, and never played others. Before the Octavia I had a Honda FR-V with an aftermarket iPod connection in the glovebox, and that worked brilliantly.

The Yeti will come with DAB and bluetooth streaming abilities so I wasn't sure whether to add MDI either, but for the sake of £175 thought it was worth a go. My decision was also helped by the fact that I have a few old iPods lying around redundant, including an old 30Gb one which will just live in the Yeti's cubby hole and come into the house occasionally for updating.

• Like 1

Yep see that's what I do now in my Juke, I use the car unit to scroll, select etc my iphone music.

But in my experience the dealers were reluctant to add mdi to my order. Why, I have no idea?!

MDI really is pointless if you have an iPhone with Bluetooth PLUS on the Columbus you can also just use SD cards too. I've found the inbuilt storage a little unstable myself as it sometimes deletes things without warning but have three 16GB SD cards in my car with over 600 albums on them.

Also with iPhone now changing to the lightning plug type the current Skoda MDI becomes obsolete for iPhone without the additional iPhone adapter, which loses some functionality anyway.

Ah I see. Well I have iphone 5 with lightning connector.

I'm currently filling a 32GB sd card with my fav music so I think I'll go with that option.

Thanks for the info folks :thumbup:

MDI really is pointless if you have an iPhone with Bluetooth

Agree 100%

MDI is very important to me a I like to listen to random play from my 160gb Ipod Classic. I have a bluetooth module for it, but can't keep it charged at the same time.

IMO, if you have a device that has <= 32gb storage and/or has built-in bluetooth, £175 is very hard to justify - better to spend it on fuel!

• Like 1

For me; the bluetooth works great with the pod/pad but ,honestly, even if it didn't work well it's not an issue as most of the time I'm on a 32gb SD card. Poor old multi disc CD player will probably never be used.........

tiny (wris****ch size) nanos

I LOVE this forum.

I never twigged that 'wris****ch' concealed within such a naughty word - fnar, fnar

I'm sure the children will be highly amused now that it has been pointed out.

• Like 1

Christ no wonder people have complained about the "carry on ..." nature of this forum. Why on earth was that even worth mentioning during a perfectly good conversation on a good topic that others might be interested in reading?

• Like 1