Water in boot - RESOLVED!

I have had this issue for a while now, throughout the winter, looked into the usual culprits:

- sunroof drains

- rear light cluster seals

- boot seal (replaced with genuine Skoda part)

However, none of these resolved the issue.

I ended up driving throughout the winter with the boot stripped out to save the carpet from rotting, and removing the bungs on the LHS and the RHS of the boot cavity so water that came in could just drain away.

A couple of days ago I looked into the boot when it rained and it seemed like the water was coming in through the little voids just to the left and to the right of the door lock catch.

So, today with the weather having improved a lot I decided to bite the bullet and remove the bumper and have a look in there.

There were a lot of leaves in there so after a good clean up, I found this:

http://postimg.org/image/ogkj745y7/

The culprit was the hole you can see just under the boot seal (there is another one on the right side too) where it curves up, 5mm diameter. It still had some sealant in it, but most of it had been dislodged, and the leaves/muck build up was guiding the water straight to it! So the area has been cleaned up and generously siliconed up, and the boot carpets re-fitted. I thought someone might find this useful as I remember other people looking and looking in vain for the reason for flooded boots on the sweet old B5 platform :whew:

Edited by oh_superb
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hi

Just read your post with interest as I'm having the same problem. I haven't checked to see if the rear sunroof drains are blocked yet (do you have to remove the wheel and arch trim to get to them?)

I have identified that water seems to get in after its been jet washed via a very small rubber bung located below the light cluster and wondered if this indicated some form of water build up behind the bumper.

Is there a post for the removal of the bumper? I've got a copy of the maintenance manual but the diagrams are less than clear 

Here's hoping

Regards

Hi. Wheel arches do NOT need to be removed.  Open the boot, remove the carpet on top of the spare wheel and remove the trim on the left and right.  YOu will need to disconnect the 12V plug from the back before you remove the RHS trim.  You will also need to remove (I think it is easiest if you do this before removing the side trims) the plastic trim running across the width of the car by the boot lock mechanism.  To take this plastic trim out and the side trims you need to remove all (4 off?) chrome plated hooks.  They are all held in by 2x screws.  There are also some plastic retainers all around the place.  You will need to remove these too.

Then it all comes apart!

The sunroof drain pipes are green, and they go into a rubber mount that feeds water into the wheel arch.  Make sure that rubber piece is not clogged with dirt.  I removed it and gave it a good clean with warm soapy water.

If this seems OK, not particularly dirty, then your problem may lie elsewhere.  Check light cluster seals.

Best thing to do would be to drive around for a few days with no trim in boot so you can trace the leak.  Or get in the boot with a torch and get the Mrs or best mate to spray the boot and trace a leak.

If all else fails, and the water seems to be coming from a couple of chambers you can see if you look straight down underneath the boot lock.  That's where I found to be wet.

It was rectified by taking the bumper off, then taking the plastic trim that supports the bumper off, then cleaning the area and sealing up the 2x holes with Silicone sealant after a good clean-up and dry-up in the area.

Good luck!!

BTW, to drain the water off pull the drain plug out and try not to lose it!  :giggle:

Edited by oh_superb

Thanks for the reply; I had already stripped the boot out, had a look after your post and saw the drains straight away, funny how easy they are to find once you know what you're looking for! :thumbup: 

Will check the state of them tomorrow although at a glance they look fine but will shove a wire up to make sure. If they're in good order I'm guessing that the bumper might be coming off next. Is it a big/difficult job?

Bumper: 5 minutes.  I think 3 hex screws on both sides and perhaps 1 underneath (?) and some perhaps under the boot lip too?

Anyway, pretty easy to remove.

Good luck.

But check the light clusters.  The seals are a very cheap utilitarian design.

These cars are a constant stream of fun...

I have just removed and refitted the battery to clean up the bulk head drains… it's been 4 years since the least clean up.  Must avoid a flood situation in there.

Edited by oh_superb

• 4 years later...

I thought I had solved my issue but with a bit of rain last night I checked the boot this morning and it is wet again in the same place. When I took the bumper off a couple of weeks ago I didn't see any holes that have been mentioned in earlier posts. I'm thinking of replacing the boot seal and the light cluster seals. Spoke to VW and they say they don't do the light cluster seals unless you buy the whole light cluster !!! Anyone know of anywhere else that does just the seals? Also, is it possible to run a fine bead of mastic under the boot seal to make it 100% water tight?

Catch 22 isn't it :crying::blush: 

Bleeding weather is crap ATM, can't do anything on the car for ten minutes before ya freeze to death or get soaked :crying::crying:

Meanwhile your car is slowly killing itself !!!! :o

Hope you get sorted mate :blink:

Well I did had same problem around year or two ago.

I tought my car had accident in past, and thats cause, but clearly it isnt.

I did however take off bumper and seal it with silicon places which were suspecious.*(especially left side of boot)! Since then, fortunatly I didnt have that problem.

So, aparently this is another mk1 issue, like water ingreess.

Still, in love with my Sup tough <3 B)

• 2 weeks later...