00470 Combination Databus in Single Wire

Read through a similar topic of a few years back but can't come up with a solution. If anyone can help, please do! This is driving me insane!

HISTORY

Firstly, I experienced battery drain about a year ago (battery dead after about 12 hours) and immediately replaced the battery. No fix. Took to Skoda and they replaced the battery again, reported zero current draw and returned. No fix. Took it back, they reported 1A current draw, removed "excess canbus wiring", towbar wiring and a redundant siren. Advised draw was now an acceptable 0.26A. No fix. Car went in again and they advised draw was at 0.7A. Replaced ECU. Fix. Total monies <£700, Total time in garage six weeks.

PRESENT

Upon receiving car back, I am experiencing some strange strange things - When unlocking the car via key fob, either the front passenger door or driver door sometimes needs an extra (third) press to unlock and the indicators may or may not flash at all. When unlocking via key in lock, the car unlocks but doesn't disable the alarm. The in car central locking buttons work at utter random, regardless of how hard or soft you press them; sometimes it unlocks/locks, sometimes it does nothing. Also, when locking, alarm light flashes then stays solid for thirty seconds indicating a "fault in the central locking system". My instrument dimmer no longer dims. My standard manual headlights, when switching from 'dipped' to 'sidelights', now takes about a second to respond, an operation I have found only seems to occur in VAG models fitted with automatic headlights.

DETAILS

Using a cheap code reader tool I have discovered only two fault codes - One regarding the radio antennae which I doubt has much of anything to do with this, and the other is 00470 Combination Comfort Databus in Single Wire. 00470 is present in areas : PASSENGER DOOR, DRIVER DOOR, and GATEWAY and probably others which I assume my cheap tool does not grant me access to.

Skoda took the car back and confirmed the existing of 00470 and insisted that it cannot be fixed as it is an intermittent fault and I'd have to "wait until it fails entirely until they can fix it." My homework tells me that this fault will not necessarily "fail", though I can't find a fix for it. I have also found that the code is also related to battery drain and the symptoms of. I understand that it will probably be a faulty connector or such like in the canbus...but where??

Again, please please help if you or someone you know has had this problem and fixed it!

05 Octavia hatch II 1.9 105 PD ambient

Read through a similar topic of a few years back but can't come up with a solution. If anyone can help, please do! This is driving me insane!

HISTORY

Firstly, I experienced battery drain about a year ago (battery dead after about 12 hours) and immediately replaced the battery. No fix. Took to Skoda and they replaced the battery again, reported zero current draw and returned. No fix. Took it back, they reported 1A current draw, removed "excess canbus wiring", towbar wiring and a redundant siren. Advised draw was now an acceptable 0.26A. No fix. Car went in again and they advised draw was at 0.7A. Replaced ECU. Fix. Total monies <£700, Total time in garage six weeks.

PRESENT

Upon receiving car back, I am experiencing some strange strange things - When unlocking the car via key fob, either the front passenger door or driver door sometimes needs an extra (third) press to unlock and the indicators may or may not flash at all. When unlocking via key in lock, the car unlocks but doesn't disable the alarm. The in car central locking buttons work at utter random, regardless of how hard or soft you press them; sometimes it unlocks/locks, sometimes it does nothing. Also, when locking, alarm light flashes then stays solid for thirty seconds indicating a "fault in the central locking system". My instrument dimmer no longer dims. My standard manual headlights, when switching from 'dipped' to 'sidelights', now takes about a second to respond, an operation I have found only seems to occur in VAG models fitted with automatic headlights.

DETAILS

Using a cheap code reader tool I have discovered only two fault codes - One regarding the radio antennae which I doubt has much of anything to do with this, and the other is 00470 Combination Comfort Databus in Single Wire. 00470 is present in areas : PASSENGER DOOR, DRIVER DOOR, and GATEWAY and probably others which I assume my cheap tool does not grant me access to.

Skoda took the car back and confirmed the existing of 00470 and insisted that it cannot be fixed as it is an intermittent fault and I'd have to "wait until it fails entirely until they can fix it." My homework tells me that this fault will not necessarily "fail", though I can't find a fix for it. I have also found that the code is also related to battery drain and the symptoms of. I understand that it will probably be a faulty connector or such like in the canbus...but where??

Again, please please help if you or someone you know has had this problem and fixed it!

05 Octavia hatch II 1.9 105 PD ambient

It may not fail completely, but it may be difficult to solve. CAN-bus is a twisted pair of wires but it can still operate (with reduced noise immunity, reliability) in single wire mode. The most common cause of this problem is a poor addition to the CAN-bus. Have you had any equipment added to the car?

Another cause is a broken CAN-bus wire as it passes from one of the door pillars to the door.

Fantastic, I had a problem with my left rear door where it wasn't receiving power. My central locking was also affected and the behaviour of the indicators when locking etc. Upon inspection of the pillar, behind the rubber hose, I discovered a brown wire out it's socket. Tried to repair but it was too taught and kept coming out so I extended the wire using some random wires I had lying around, and just jammed it in. The door works fine now, but could this rather unprofessional approach be messing up the canbus?

No additions made otherwise.

Fantastic, I had a problem with my left rear door where it wasn't receiving power. My central locking was also affected and the behaviour of the indicators when locking etc. Upon inspection of the pillar, behind the rubber hose, I discovered a brown wire out it's socket. Tried to repair but it was too taught and kept coming out so I extended the wire using some random wires I had lying around, and just jammed it in. The door works fine now, but could this rather unprofessional approach be messing up the canbus?

No additions made otherwise.

The CAN-bus cables need to remain twisted together and must be of the same length. A solid brown wire is usually a ground but where there is one broken wire there may be more.

Hmm twas a solid brown wire leading from the door into the top left of a connector block with around maybe 8(?) other wires. Would a dodgy connection here seem culprit or coincidence? ie should I be looking elsewhere.

Got the fault code 00470 myself, but can't locate the physical problem because it's intermittently jumping in and out of single wire and I'd need to "catch it in the act". Not entirely sure how to go about this; I study buildings, not cars, and am only a couple of technical demotions away from putting water in my " 710 " cap. Was just hoping that somebody had had a similar problem and identified an offending component since the worst case scenario - spend £££ at the dealer - hasn't even worked.

Thanks for all the help though, this site repeatedly restores my faith in humanity!

Haven't had time to sniff around, BUT - whilst using diagnostics to reset my airbags (dodgy connector under passenger seat), I had a quick shift into the offending areas; Gateway, Passenger door etc. When I went into the CENTRAL CONTROL area, instead of coming up with all the ecu information and...well, numbers and stuff, I got a screen full of random symbols and shapes! can still read and clear dtc's, but was just wondering if this implies a fault in J393 Central Control for Convenience Systems, which I believe has some input or other in the operations I am having problems with.

Idea's anybody? Or should I still look into the pillar?