Best beginners RWD/Sports car

Jane_i10

Another vote for the MX5 here as well. I always used to think that they were a bit of a hairdressers car if I'm honest, however I was proven wrong!

My dad had one for years and loved it and I have a very good friend who races them in the Ma5da championship. They only race the 1.6 engines (1.8 is also available) and they are brilliant fun - well balanced and quite brisk for what they are - a modern equivalent of the old 1960's MG's etc.

The amount of power is also not that important. The same friend recently took me on a track day at Snetterton race track in Norfolk. This wasn't one of the usual free gift "experiences" that you can buy either - he had two of his own MX5's there - his proper full bloodied race spec and a road going "spare" race car. My instructor was a proper race driver (who also instructs and does a lot of driving for press days for various manufacturers). Even with my novice ability on a race track (my first ever attempt) and ham-fisted approach to track racing we were overtaking (and leaving behind) BMW M3's and the like - honestly they are an absolute hoot. They also have the benefit of being quite cheap to buy, maintain and repair. In fact, the same friend has a 911 which he is selling as he prefers the MX5 as the limits etc are more easily reached and it's a more fun and involving drive.

I'm just disappointed that the old man has sold his and got a Freelander instead (and that is coming from a long term Landy fan).

I have an MX5( for fun) and an Octy vRS (for family duties and fun) . I used to think MX5s were rubbish so once bought a TTR but now that I have an MX5 realised I should have bought one years ago! Mine is a Mk3 2/0sport and is lowered on -30mm Eibach springs. Mk3 sports have Bilstein shocks as standard, 6sp manual gearbox and LSD.2.0 has about 165bhp and weighs 1100kg so is fast enough. Now had mine for 3 years so have a bit more confidence to explore the handling ,I spent about a year pussyfooting around thinking it was going to spin but the handling is quite progressive and the car is so much fun to drive. Suspension is still quite supple so you can blast around Broads without having to back off due to things getting uncomfortable. I discounted MR2s due to the complete lack of boot and engine problems, Boxsters were discounted due to running costs and them being a bit on the big side (especially in terms of width), S2000s were discounted due to snappy handling and harder ride.

If you look at MX5s on the Mk3 the gearbox can be quite stiff when cold and check the rear arches/sills for any rust, the Mk2s are more likely to have rusty sills (and they go from the inside out so whatever you see on the surface will be much worse than it appears) and also the front chassis rails can rust so buy with care, a few MX5 enthusiasts are of the opinion that the Mk2 1.8sport was the best of all the MX5s to drive as it is not as soft as the Mk3 but I find the Mk3 quite a precise car, in particular the steering is lovely and you feel a part of the car. It's hard to put into words, you need to go and drive one!

• Like 1

Mine is a Mk3 2/0sport and is lowered on -30mm Eibach springs. Mk3 sports have Bilstein shocks as standard, 6sp manual gearbox and LSD.2.0 has about 165bhp and weighs 1100kg so is fast enough.

Just like my one pictured above, you do have to watch them over

the square speedhumps once they are sitting on the eibachs though.

When we first got it the car didn't really feel all that handling wise.

Turns out it had twisted bushings as the geo hadn't been altered correctly to account for the

(mazda fitted) lowering springs. After a trip to wheels in motion (in Watford IIRC)

the drive home was like night and day. Mx5s have a lot of adjustment available

with the geo setup which allows it to be set up just how you want it.

• Like 2

I don't know why this thread is still going on?! :D MX5 all the way! Work up from there perhaps later, but to cut your teeth its the ideal solution! :thumbup: I cut my teeth on one for 6 months whilst the mongrel was in for surgery! Very good fun!

DSC00461.jpg

• Like 2

Just like my one pictured above, you do have to watch them over

the square speedhumps once they are sitting on the eibachs though.

When we first got it the car didn't really feel all that handling wise.

Turns out it had twisted bushings as the geo hadn't been altered correctly to account for the

(mazda fitted) lowering springs. After a trip to wheels in motion (in Watford IIRC)

the drive home was like night and day. Mx5s have a lot of adjustment available

with the geo setup which allows it to be set up just how you want it.

Yes, definitely worth getting the geometry setup checked, not had any clearance issues with mine yet but then it was only lowered about 1000miles ago so prob. not fully settled just yet

As many others have said, and having owned 2 myself. its got to be an MX5.

Which one though???

After having a MK1 and MK2 it has to be the MK1

Why???

Pop-ups

Say no more.

Yeah i think it has to be the MX5, i dont want the phase one, phase two is better looking and come on i am a woman so yes looks are everything

It's got to be an MX5 (original shape). The last of the line cars with non pop up headlights had 140 bhp which is not bad. The little Mazda is also beautifully put together, has an absolutely peachy gearbox and should be "one twist" dependable.

• 4 weeks later...

right ok update on this;

Went to mazda yesterday and got talking to one of the salesmen, actually an enthusiast which is rare, normally they can tell you just as much as the brochure.

Might be going after a Mk 3 now 2.0 Sport..i dont do things by halfs.

Got a few people asking about my Octavia now and if i get what i want for it then ill have the pick of about 50 Mk3 MX5's in my price range.

Id like one in winning blue but tbh anything but silver.

• Like 3

Guest BigJase88

Wouldnt drive an mx5 unless i had a bag for my head!

Other half wanted a convertible and salesman showed her an mx-5! Initial reaction.... Ewww thats ugly!

Women know!

Went to mazda yesterday and got talking to one of the salesmen, actually an enthusiast which is rare, normally they can tell you just as much as the brochure.

Might be going after a Mk 3 now 2.0 Sport..i dont do things by halfs.

Id like one in winning blue but tbh anything but silver.

Make sure you get a good long test drive. If you have a large choice make sure you get one

that's on Eibachs and Bilsteins (Dealer upgrade) the ride and handling are top.

Heated seats are essential in these IMO. Dont get one without them or you'll hardly

ever get the top down in our crap weather.Don't worry about getting one with Bose

(it aint all that...) The 2 litre sport is a nice level of power/weight. If your budget will allow

then get the roadster coupe, they hold their price better, and look better with the roof up

or down.

HTH

• Like 1

RX8s are seriously good value for money right now. £3k will get you a low mileage one with leather and all the trimmings.

If you do buy an RX8 make sure you want to keep it for a long, long time. They're a torque free zone, early ones are temperamental, late ones are hideously expensive to tax. Nobody wants them and that's why they're now so cheap.

If you do buy an RX8 make sure you want to keep it for a long, long time. They're a torque free zone, early ones are temperamental, late ones are hideously expensive to tax. Nobody wants them and that's why they're now so cheap.

They also have seemingly poisonous handling near the limit, and as you say they're a torque-free zone, which may not appeal to a lady who's selling a remapped vRS TDi?

Make sure you get a good long test drive. If you have a large choice make sure you get one

that's on Eibachs and Bilsteins (Dealer upgrade) the ride and handling are top.

Heated seats are essential in these IMO. Dont get one without them or you'll hardly

ever get the top down in our crap weather.Don't worry about getting one with Bose

(it aint all that...) The 2 litre sport is a nice level of power/weight. If your budget will allow

then get the roadster coupe, they hold their price better, and look better with the roof up

or down.

HTH

I think all the sports come with leather heated seats and according to the sales man they all come with the Bilsteins (one way to tell if it a genuine sport)

Shame their £260 a year to tax :whew: good thing the i10 sets it off with only being £30 per year!

They also have seemingly poisonous handling near the limit, and as you say they're a torque-free zone, which may not appeal to a lady who's selling a remapped vRS TDi?

Also the whole burning oil as quick as petrol, although i do find the ****el engine clever apparently they need at least one rebuild within their lives due to the edges of rotor wearing away which is understandable if its burning a lot of oil..

I like the S2000's but load more to insure and not really user friendly for novice

...Hmm it thinks im swearing..the triangle looking rotary engine!

I think all the sports come with leather heated seats and according to the sales man they all come with the Bilsteins (one way to tell if it a genuine sport)

Shame their £260 a year to tax :whew: good thing the i10 sets it off with only being £30 per year!

Yes Bilsteins and LSD standard on the sport, but the eibachs make it the height it would be if you bought

one in Japan. They ship them here new at the lowered height, raise them to 'UK height' (on stilts) and then offer

you the option of buying Eibachs to put them back where they were when they came off the boat. The whole job

should come in at around £300 if you have it done at Mazda retrospectively. But a proper alignment is vital.

As I mentioned before Wheels in Motion is probably the best place in the UK for this work.

https://www.mx5oc.co...ms/t/18168.aspx

http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/

• Like 1

Also the whole burning oil as quick as petrol, although i do find the ****el engine clever apparently they need at least one rebuild within their lives due to the edges of rotor wearing away which is understandable if its burning a lot of oil..

I like the S2000's but load more to insure and not really user friendly for novice

...Hmm it thinks im swearing..the triangle looking rotary engine!

We've all had some of those issues; it's mostly down to badly configured nanny filters which don't understand the difference between "vank%20" and "Vankel".

You're correct about rotor tip seals (As for oil consumption, IMO a Vankel engine is a form of 2-smoke; enough said?).

Mine used less oil than my Fabia though, although the Fabia was 'in spec' according to VAG. I suspect mkII vRS owners can relate to that too!

FYI, they inject oil as part of the combustion cycle by design. This is meant to lubricate the rotor tips. The problem comes from lack of lubrication. It's common for the coils/sparks to break down so the fuel isn't burnt off fully, which then (from my memory of it), means that the lubrication oil is then stripped away by the petrol, leading to wear and eventually a rebuild.

• 4 weeks later...

All 2.0sports have heated leather seats (although they are either on or off and are v.hot when on) lovely on a winter top down cruise. They all have Bilstein dampers but they are not many with the Eibach springs ,even though they are quite a popular mod. All 2.0 variants have a LSD (I think) but the option pack and some of the special edition ones have a 5sp gearbox and not a 6 (the 5sp has a sweeter shift and is less reluctant to engage 1st/2nd when cold)although the 6sp still has a nice shift when warm. Have a look on MX5OC forum for more info