Problem Yeti !

Noodella

Hi I have a 62 Plate Yeti 1.2 tsi Dsg, My car randomly flashes up dash lights causing the car to go into safe mode. It also stops without reason. It also has faulty sat nav, door trims breaking off, A dsg Box with a mind of its own ie it shifts from seventh to third the second you begin to go down hill causing the revs to go sky high it also then wont kick down going up hill i find myself having to use manual mode often to get it to behave this has resulted in average mpg of 21 ?? it has been to the dealer twice in april after breaking down and failing to start again each time they say its fixed and after a few days of getting it back it starts failing again. There reasoning is and i quote we cant actually find anything wrong with it so we cant fix it WTF ?????? so they claim they have re set the software each time, I have complained to skoda uk to very little avail !! any advice people as im sure this is not normal skoda service. I bought the car because of all the great reviews and alleged great customer service.

I feel legal advice is the way forward, on the other hand i feel like i have become a serial complainer about the car but i have lost all faith in it. in all fairness its been problematic since day 1 not really the experience i was hoping for, previously i had a mercedes e270 cdi avantgarde estate 2004 model with 160k on the clock it never ever failed me in anyway i wish i had kept it now i pay 325 quid a month to personal lease the skoda from skoda direct and they just dont seem to care !!!

don't buy a car because of great reviews - buy a car because of lack of negative reviews.

Some "great" reviews here come from people who don't even own the car or are Sunday drivers.

If you did your research you would find out yeti VW engines have some problems.

It doesnt matter if some of the owners are 'Sunday drivers', having a view from someone that actually owns the car who lives with it day in, day out is far more valuable than reading continuous negativity regarding a car in most circumstances. Most people that just post negative views on car forums have an underlying issue! There is also very little value in people posting negative views that dont even own the car in the first instance as all they are doing is passing on a one sided view on hear say.

Oh and if you did your research you'd find out that the 1.2tsi isnt a VW engine. Skoda are responsible for the unit - its produced in their Mlada Boleslav plant.

To the OP - definetely look at the dealer reviews on here and choose another dealer. If they say the same (unlikely Id guess!) then push with SUK for a resolution. Good luck! :)

• Like 1

Try taking it to a different dealer and see if they can find anything wrong.....try checking the garage you are using on this forum http://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/71-skoda-dealers-in-the-south-west/....(and don't take any notice of people like offnote above...he's never had a Yeti) my Yeti.... on the other hand did not have one fault from the day I bought it....and was part exchanged still with no faults two and a half years later

• Like 2

As silver stated,its best to get legal advice and take action immediately.

Is the car under warranty?

If it is still under warranty I would leave the car at the dealers with the keys in the ignition,let him know that it his his problem from now on,and walk away.

Go to a car hire place to get yourself some wheels (dont worry, youll get every penny back) and have your lawyer start an offensive immediately and bombard the dealer and Skoda uk . My advice is not to go to another dealer like Octygone suggests.That will show weakness on your part , it will be a tactical mistake and youll start the war from scratch.

Being "nice" will get you nowhere in situations like this.The dealer has recognised your weakness and is taking advantage of you.

Good luck .

Ps as Rgh 999 sayes:

(copy/paste) Reject the car as not fit for purpose and ask for a new model.

I would add not ask but demand...

BTW being a "serial complainer" will work to your benefit,Noodella.I hope you have logged your complaints,the more the better in this case.

Edited by oriki

take out a subscription to Which? and then use their legal service for advice.

they love complaints like this.

Oh and we have the 1.2 Tsi in a golf and a yeti and no problems to date, my dad and wife's uncle have it in the fabia, no major issues at all to date (fabias had a couple of glitches sorted by software update). As has been said above, faults can and do occur, it's how the dealer sorts them that counts.

Thanks Guys

I have sent a very detailed complaint of all issues over to Skoda uk Yesterday and have recieved a call from a complaints manager who is calling back with possible solutions for us today. I gently mentioned the possibility of a replacement or rejection and that seemed to have the desired effect. My issue mainly stems from the poor service, i appreciate that cars can become problematic as thats just life what worries me is there seems to be a number of other customers that seem to have similar issues with the same car or same engine gearbox combination and skoda are making me feel like I'm an exception and these cars never fail and im making a drama over nothing. Will update on their response as soon as i get a call.

As silver stated,its best to get legal advice and take action immediately.

Is the car under warranty?

If it is still under warranty I would leave the car at the dealers with the keys in the ignition,let him know that it his his problem from now on,and walk away.

Go to a car hire place to get yourself some wheels (dont worry, youll get every penny back) and have your lawyer start an offensive immediately and bombard the dealer and Skoda uk . My advice is not to go to another dealer like Octygone suggests.That will show weakness on your part , it will be a tactical mistake and youll start the war from scratch.

Being "nice" will get you nowhere in situations like this.The dealer has recognised your weakness and is taking advantage of you.

Good luck .

Ps as Rgh 999 sayes:

(copy/paste) Reject the car as not fit for purpose and ask for a new model.

I would add not ask but demand...

BTW being a "serial complainer" will work to your benefit,Noodella.I hope you have logged your complaints,the more the better in this case.

Yes the car is under warranty it is only 7 months old !!! we have had issues since we got it it first started playing up 5 days after i took delivery whilst we were on holiday !!! the dealer there did seem to sort it quickly without fuss and deal with it and lent us a car during the time it was with them. sadly a week later it began playing up again and it has continued to be difficult there on. One day its fine the next day it is like a different car we got to the point where we just stopped using it everyday as i never felt safe in it

Noodella: grrr. I'd be feeling much the same as you right now. An infuriating problem indeed.

I agree with other posters. Take the car to a different dealer. It is amazing how average some dealers' technicians are and then at another dealer they have a pro-active whizz that can sort a problem in two ticks.

Furthermore if they can't replicate the problem video it when it happens (if possible).

The way your car goes from 7th to third on downhills sections (once you've touched the brake pedal presumably) suggests something stupid like the inclometer (spelling?!) or accelorometer is bust (which in turn tells the DSG you are slowing down AND going down a hill).

Good luck.

Well no surprise Skoda never called me back to help with the issues, Now the car has begun making very strange noises when changing gear you can hear what i assume to be the clutches clunking and a metal against metal noise not pretty at all !! has anyone else experienced this with the dsg box ? i have to drive 300 miles to south yorkshore tomorrow lets see if the yeti makes it ??

DSG boxes can clunk a bit, usually when driving slow or manoeuvring.

I have also had experience with SUK, I believe the way forward is to ask for name of your contact at the dealer, then get the name of your contact in SUK, then get them to speak to each other.

Present your issues to the dealer in writing, be it with a pen or by email, get documented responses and not verbal, make sure your contact gets these at SUK.

Things will then start moving in your direction.

Also ask the dealer to go for a drive with you in your car, then ask if they have the same car and do the same journey to compare.

Good luck with your issues, keep a cool head and you will get a much better response from all parties.

• Like 1

Which dealer in Devon are you using Noodella?

Hi I have used Silver Street in Barnstaple, However that was where the car was recovered too as its the nearest one although still some 20 plus miles from where i live. In all fairness to them i am sure they have a good rep but the service shown to me has been very poor indeed. When i questioned the service assistant about the gearbox i was told he had never driven one so did not know how it would behave. When i questioned what had been fixed i was told i dont know as i dont think anything is wrong with it. When i asked where my car was when i went to collect it i was told i dont know somewhere in the car park go look you will find it and i did covered in dirt unlocked in neutral with the handbrake off and plastered in bird poo !!!!! not the condition it went into them in so sadly i would never willingly use them again.

DSG boxes can clunk a bit, usually when driving slow or manoeuvring.

I have also had experience with SUK, I believe the way forward is to ask for name of your contact at the dealer, then get the name of your contact in SUK, then get them to speak to each other.

Present your issues to the dealer in writing, be it with a pen or by email, get documented responses and not verbal, make sure your contact gets these at SUK.

Things will then start moving in your direction.

Thanks James,

I have both contact names and they have spoken to each other several times but sadly it seems there are too many fingers in the pies. The service department gives Skoda UK a different story to me and even accused me of fabricating the issues as they found no faults with the car. Thats interesting as the rac found a number of fault codes when they came out to recover it and i suspect the dealer just re set the computer to erase them and thats it. The rac stepped in and defended me and explained exactly what the issues were and he got a very abrupt response from the service department at the dealer. to be fair at the moment it feels like everyone is more interested in settling scores than dealing with the problem. I have begun the process to reject the car as i feel it wont ever be resolved i have offered to take a replacement but it was indicated i would need to hand over a large sum of money to do this to allow for the mileage and wear and tear on my car. I find that amusing as i lease my car from skoda they have already had a hefty deposit and 7 monthly payments and i have not had 7 full months use !!

Rant over !!!! im just fed up with it all but i thank you for your advice

Also ask the dealer to go for a drive with you in your car, then ask if they have the same car and do the same journey to compare.

Good luck with your issues, keep a cool head and you will get a much better response from all parties.

• 2 weeks later...

I have experienced some random dash flashes in the past.

After lot of searching my mechanic discovered that canbus cable was touching body frame somewhere behind the dash.

He added extra protection (tape) to the cable and the problem resolved.

I had the problem of the gears dropping from seven to third yesterday whilst going down a steep hill in Derbyshire, it was a bit un nerving, but then switched back up the gears. It has never happened before living in the flat lands of East Yorkshire, but I think I will mention it to the dealer and see what their comments are

Just an update

We took the car up to yorkshire and back over the bank holiday. It did of course misbehave most of the time time which made for a stressful and unnerving drive. After yet another complaint to Skoda UK and several phone calls later the garage has finally agreed to have the car back and try to resolve the issue. So its going back to them next week for a whole week to go through every test thinkable. Lets see if it finally gets sorted.

Good luck.

I still think Skoda should give you a substitute set of wheels at their expense,especially because the car is still under warranty.

Good luck.

I still think Skoda should give you a substitute set of wheels at their expense,especially because the car is still under warranty.

Thats what we are aiming for long term as i suspect they wont fix it as they just cant figure out what is wrong with it.

• 1 month later...

HI Guys

Well its been some time since i have updated an the situation with our yeti. Sadly we still have the car and we still have problems, i really dont know how i have allowed this to go on for 6 months since the problems began.

There have been many developments though. Firstly after another three attempts to repair the faults on the car it was finally agreed that we could take the car to a different dealer. I have to say this was the best thing we ever did. The new dealer Croyde Skoda, said that the repairs previously carried out on my car by the other dealer were some of the worst botched jobs he had ever seen. He had to in effect re-repair everything they had done and put right all the issues they had caused. It was somewhat of a headache for them but they did it and indeed resolved many of the issues we had been having for months. I then contacted skoda uk with a copy of the repair report in hand to explain the reason we had been having problems for months was at the hands of the incompitent dealer who had botched my car, to be told that dealer had now been sold due to a number of issues and was going through a difficult transition.

However it did not lead to an apology for the fact they had rigged the ecu on my car and replaced wiring looms with cheap inadequate parts which had also caused other faults to occur including failure of the braking system so in effect putting me and my partner in danger. all i got was a sob story of how hard things had been for the dealer during its difficult sale. To be frank i could not care less about them they lied to me on several occasions and damaged my car and did insufficient repairs causing me months of grief so i could give a monkeys about their problems.

So to date still no offer from skoda for all our issues no apology a big fat nothing.

Further to this we now have problems with the front shocks a new rattle from the turbo a very loud rattle from under the car and just to top it all melting paintwork on the lower door panels and all the sealant in the sills under the rear doors has melted and now we have gaps in the floor panels.

When will skoda admit this car is a dud and give us our money back ???? It infuriates me to read all the hugely positive press about the yeti and be constantly told this by skoda that the car has won numerous awards. Well skoda thats really great for you but what about my car ??? for goodness sake stop hiding behind procedure and awards and look after your customers that have issues.

Well the matter has now become a legal one so lets see what the outcome is.