Can this be done?

Just thinking out loud, but was wondering if it would be possible to stick a Fabia Mk2 vRS engine into a Fabia Mk1 vRS engine bay?

I'm assuming you would have to replace the gearbox as well...

rubbish dsg gearbox

Not sure I'd agree.

DSG is the 8th mechanical wonder of the world......the biggest problem with the Mk1 Fabia is having no DSG option......If you could put a DSG on a Mk1 Fabia vRS PD130 and you had a drag race at the traffic lights with a standard manual vRS....the manual would loose every time. Purely down to the speed of gear changes on a DSG.....it has to be seen to be believed.

• Like 1

Guest BigJase88

But dsg is boring!

My boss bought an m3 with flappy paddle and hated it as it was boring and no fun!

Sold it and bought a manual z4m

The audi equivalent is called S-tronic.

My Manual S3 0-60 5.7secs

S-tronic version S3 0-60 5.5secs

Hardly a massive difference really. And there's a lot more to go wrong.

• Like 1

So back on track, I think the answer is yes if you have the time and inclination but why?

So just buy a MK II if you want to go DSG or stay MK I if you want a manual. There might even be a simple way to add a manual gearbox to the petrol twin charge engine.

Guest BigJase88

So back on track, I think the answer is yes if you have the time and inclination but why?

So just buy a MK II if you want to go DSG or stay MK I if you want a manual. There might even be a simple way to add a manual gearbox to the petrol twin charge engine.

Yes sack the skoda off and buy a golf gt 170 manual

But dsg is boring!

My boss bought an m3 with flappy paddle and hated it as it was boring and no fun!

Sold it and bought a manual z4m

DSG = faster = must be less boring than a manual!

Don't know what year your boss's M3 was.....but it probably had the crappy SMG gearbox which is rubbish compared to DSG. You gotta have the twin clutch design of DSG for the fun factor.

The audi equivalent is called S-tronic.

My Manual S3 0-60 5.7secs

S-tronic version S3 0-60 5.5secs

Still quicker though....and even quicker in real world conditions as an average driver on an average day won't achieve the published 0-60 time on the manual......that time is set by a professional driver, changing gears at the correct rpm and having perfect clutch and gearbox control.

The 0-60 time on the DSG in real world conditions is the same whoever the driver is.......just floor the throttle and it does the rest....0-60 in 5.5 seconds all day long!

• Like 2

Guest BigJase88

DSG = faster = must be less boring than a manual!

Don't know what year your boss's M3 was.....but it probably had the crappy SMG gearbox which is rubbish compared to DSG. You gotta have the twin clutch design of DSG for the fun factor.

Still quicker though....and even quicker in real world conditions as an average driver on an average day won't achieve the published 0-60 time on the manual......that time is set by a professional driver, changing gears at the correct rpm and having perfect clutch and gearbox control.

The 0-60 time on the DSG in real world conditions is the same whoever the driver is.......just floor the throttle and it does the rest....0-60 in 5.5 seconds all day long!

He bought it brand new last year on a 12 plate

Faster doesnt mean more fun! Personally i prefer changing gear when i want! Not when the car wants! Thats more fun!

Accelerate and brake doesnt really do much for me! I love slamming it through the gears

Faster doesnt mean more fun! Personally i prefer changing gear when i want! Not when the car wants! Thats more fun!

Of course you can change manually with the paddles on the DSG......each to their own I suppose.

• Like 1

Iv driven ALOT of DSG VW and S-Tronic audis + the only car that i thought it worked better than a manual was the 3.0tdi audis or big 4x4 q7/ toureg.

Its constantly over revving and takes longer to change when ur driving normally then boot it..

it has a delay + cant see whats happening in front of you to anticipate what gear to go in unlike manual.

Its heavier + puts more strain on the engine. In Sport (S) it red lines every gear.. when do u ever need to to red line in day to day driving?

Fabia DSG is not like that!

I am more than impressed with it, it is very quick to change, it hangs on in top when on the motorway and is a great match to the 1.4 engine.

I am aware some auto's can be rubbish but I find these are usually the wet clutch/torque converter type auto's.

But each to there own and this will always be a debate as ultimately it is down to personal preference.

I have a manual Yeti and an auto Fabia, when the Yeti goes in August 2014 I will be considering an auto replacement.

I'm not sure fast automatically = fun.

Most fun I ever had on 4 wheels was in a 1.6 Pug 205 GTI.

In terms of grip, acceleration and outright speed my Audi would

murder it on every count. But is it as fun? Nope.

That Pug felt like it was on the ragged edge 70% of the time.

Bouncing off the rev limiter in 5th gear at 115mph LOL

• Like 4

I'm not sure fast automatically = fun.

Most fun I ever had on 4 wheels was in a 1.6 Pug 205 GTI.

In terms of grip, acceleration and outright speed my Audi would

murder it on every count. But is it as fun? Nope.

That Pug felt like it was on the ragged edge 70% of the time.

Bouncing off the rev limiter in 5th gear at 115mph LOL

This X 100 !!!

Speed does not equal fun.

People will justify the car they drive, saying how fast it is.

But a quick car is not always involving or exciting to drive.

I (personal opinion) found the mkII Fabia VRS terminally dull to drive, even though it's quick and capable.

I'd much rather be going slower in a mkI and working it, because it's fun. That's why I bought one.

To the OP:

Yes, but you'll need a donor mkII because of the engine, gearbox, electrics etc... (+ steering wheel with the dinky fisher price paddles)

It's not going to be an easy swap, I'd stick a 1.8t in instead.

It'll make more power, be quicker and be more fun to drive. Probably cheaper too.

Or buy a DSG car?

• Like 1

If you want it purely for the dsg box I'd wait till the 10 speed one I'd up and running. That way you can play with the flaps for longer lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

The problem with dsg is that 0.3 sec you want power and it's not there. You got to wait for brains to kick in and go. I'm sure in the future that can minimise this lag time.

I find little things I don't like:-

- When you brake and downchange it disengages clutch/power so it's coasting in effect, I'm sure sportier models will be less inclined to do that especially when using paddle/self shift,

- when it's rev matching on downshift and braking is just funny, I'm sure again it can be tweaked so it's smoother,

- when you don't want to drive at pace the computer takes a while for it to gel into civilised town driving, annoying to say the least

- Driving experience wise it feels like I'm playing forza or gt, it's good I guess as it gives you more time to concentrate and extract full potential easier but it kills the mechanical element of fun.

But hey F1 uses all electronic gismo shifters now right? Can't be that difficult to replicate for road users.. :)

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Cool idea. Do it!

I know we could argue all day about DSG......

But when I'm driving along I feel like an F1 driver going up and down the box with the paddles. I'm sorry that's just cool in my world.

Certainly beats getting cramp in your left leg being stuck in stop start traffic with all that 'fun' clutch work.

Now I just need to fit a fake brake bias adjuster down by my left leg and some fake dials and buttons on the steering wheel to adjust diff and power settings.... :-D

• Like 1

Cool idea. Do it!

I know we could argue all day about DSG......

But when I'm driving along I feel like an F1 driver going up and down the box with the paddles. I'm sorry that's just cool in my world.

Certainly beats getting cramp in your left leg being stuck in stop start traffic with all that 'fun' clutch work.

Now I just need to fit a fake brake bias adjuster down by my left leg and some fake dials and buttons on the steering wheel to adjust diff and power settings.... :-D

Couldn't agree more! But as you say it's down to personal preference.

I have to say what a good bunch of guys everyone on the Mk1 Fabia forum is..........this debate has been balanced and not at all nasty. There was a very similar DSG vs Manual debate on the Octavia 2 forum a few months back......the virtual fight that broke out was unbelievable. Mods deleting posts left right and centre, with some proper nasty stuff being said. You never see this on the Mk1 Fabia forum....even if I get rid of the Fabia in future, I'll still use this forum!

• Like 1

You never see this on the Mk1 Fabia forum....even if I get rid of the Fabia in future, I'll still use this forum!

Yup, agree with that. That's why I'm still on here every day yet rarely log

in to Audisport. I 've seen a fair few threads go a bit stroppy /nasty in here over the years

and end up getting closed. Pretty fair rulings and swift action by the mods generally sort

those out quickly enough when they happen though.

How different would the electronics be with the introduction of CANbus? (I assume the mk II does use it? I'd be shocked if it didn't!) I imagine that would be the hardest thing though.

DSG isn't for me though - the fun is doing it yourself! The satisfaction of a good heel/toe downshift (not that VAG seem to let you) is better than pulling a level and watching it do it for me - I can do that on the 360 in Forza. . .

As for faster, as said - it's not always more fun. My 330d is no doubt faster than my Polo in a drag race (and possibly cross country too), but the shear joy of revving the nuts off the Polo makes it much more fun to drive.

The satisfaction of a good heel/toe downshift (not that VAG seem to let you) is better than pulling a level and watching it do it for me - I can do that on the 360 in Forza. . .

Eh? You can heel/toe on a mk1 fabia. Cant lfb though, need a car which it can. would like to learn that :)