Citigo Green Tech

CLIVEUK

Hi All

A quick question in regard to the green tech,i have been told that you can turn this stop start off,would this be correct.

Thanks

Thanks Derek,I was looking at the car but did not wish this start stop but did want the 75ps engin,so now i can look further

if it is like my fabia, if you push the button to disable start / stop it is only until you turn the ignition off, next time you start the car it is active again

Thanks Derek,I was looking at the car but did not wish this start stop but did want the 75ps engin,so now i can look further

I suggest driving both, you will not notice a difference between the engines. As for the Stop/Start, you will get used to it in no time but are there any real benefits ? I guess they're neglible just like driving with or without air con.

Yeh,in regard to the engine i am told there is no real different,however i wonder why there is two versons,as for the start stop,I have to say i'm an old boy that likes things plain and simple,manual gear box and go by the sound of the engin, to much teck getting in car's for my like, we shall see when i'm ready to change,thanks all.

Greentech / Blue Motion is a proven technology. There is nothing to get used to - nothing that you have to do different. The things that happen, happen automatically and will never 'get in the way'.

It's not just the fact that the engine turns off at stop lights - it's also the battery getting charged when you brake. The generator that produces electricity would otherwise only work when it is 'powered' by the engine (using up petrol).

But computers are generally more stupid than people, so knowing how the technology works, will get you better results - meaning you CAN do something to improve results but you will get better mileage even if you just drive normally.

How much you save with the technology is just as difficult to answer as how your mileage will be without it.

Of course, having more technology will increase the likelyhood of something braking down. However, I don't recall any car company recalling cars because of an issue with Greentech / Blue Motion.

the greentech start/stop doesn't take much to get used to, if you do a lot town driving it is very effective at saving fuel

my wife has been driving my GLII and was nervous of the stop start, it only took her a few days to work it out and she was sceptical until sat at a set of lights and the stop start had not cut in and she was watching the mpg count down , the next set of lights it cut in and did not count down, her favourite game (and mine) is to see the highest mpg you can get, she has even got used to the cruise as well

trust the technology, have a read up on it, it is interesting how it monitors the car and is very easy to control (just keep clutch down and car stays running if you are only going to be at standstill for a few seconds)

Hi Clive, I was like you and very worried about the whole stop/start thing, but I have had mine three weeks now and there is honestly nothing to it - it is a breeze to work with and very easy to get used to.

Yeah, no real problems with Stop/Start. As others have pointed out it's very easily turned off.

And, regarding differences between the two engines - you only really notice it if you drive at high revs, at normal revs there doesn't seem to be a difference at all.

Seeing as the 60ps will happily cruise at 70mph at 3,000 rpm you probably won't need the higher power engine, unless you like to drive to give it some beans!

we have a citigo greentech 75ps coming hopefully in about 6-8 weeks as a replacement for a mk1 vrs

hence wife has been driving my GLII, I have a new job and do not need my car for day to day commute as I am on the train with the unwashed masses :(

and my car is more economical than the vrs, so she is using it and been very impressed, we test drove a citigo greentech a month ago and placed the order there and then

we saw a citigo sport in the showroom yesterday when I had to get some rear pads for the vrs and she said she is glad she did not go for the sport as the interior was not to her taste

• 4 years later...

Stop/Start technology:

I've owned a few Cars with Stop/Start.

It always seems very Brutal when it kicks in at Traffic Lights.

Surely, it must have a detrimental effect on Stater Motor Life, Battery Life & even Engine Mountings over a period of time?

But, my biggest gripe is, it makes for Slow 'start offs' at Traffic Lights.

This is particularly annoying in City Driving where the Engine is Stopping/Starting every couple of minutes.

Yet, this is the scenario it was specifically designed to cope with to improve Fuel Ecconomy.

I was always taught that Starting a Car uses MORE Petrol!

I imagine it does in the conventional way of Car Stating because you inevitably push the accelerator which Squirts a jet of Petrol into the Carb.

But with Stop/Start Technology, the Car starts just by depressing the Clutch (no accelerator activity at all) + Computer Engine Management which is installed on every car nowadays, the 'Petrol Squirt' when Starting has been eliminated I guess.

You can switch it off obviously if your trip is not the type that would benefit with Stop / Start enabled. Or you are at junctions where it can be a danger.

The systems were designed to not reduce hardware longevity.

As it is with the smaller lighter VW group models and even some bigger the battery is so crap that often drivers on short journeys or some climatic environments never have Stop / Start available. (see Fabia Mk3 section for just how crap it can be with a crap OEM battery)

Battery drain to high, charge too low, outside temp too low, temp between heater setting and actual temp inhibits stop / start, AC on etc etc.

If you do not want to switch Stop / Start of at the start of or during journeys then have it coded out.

Personally on my 2.0TDI SCR / DSG the Stop Start is great, a real fuel saver in gridlock city traffic.

That is with Auto Hold functioning. Great systems, that and 'Coasting Function',  same with the bigger petrols, fuel savers and emission reducers when stationary.

Edited by Awayoffski

Yes, you can deactivate, but this defeats the very reason Motor Manufacturers spent Millions on developing it!

Plus, if you get into the habit of switching off (for your own convenience, no matter what reason), you may as well not have it at all!

No, it was designed to be used continually, the Deactivation Switch is nearly a 'comfort blanket' for drivers.

I Guarantee, the Deactivation Switch will 'disappear' on Cars in the not to distant future.

in the early days of Electric Windows, Car Manufacturers supplied a 'Key' to operate the Windows in the event that the Motor packed up.

You don't get that Emergency Key now!

I'm well aware that the System was not designed to 'Reduce Hardware Longevity', but, conversely we don't want & it would be foolish to Market, a System that SHORTENED the Life of Components.

Oh, there's another obvious example 'Contrieved Obsolescence' in the Motoring World.

The Kick Start on Motorcycles.

For a number of years after Electric Start was introduced on motorbikes, Kick Starts were still included on the Engine as an alternative.

You don't get KICK STARTS on New Motorbikes now & haven't for a large number of years.

Yet another Motoring 'Comfort Blanket' that's virtually disappeared.

The SPARE WHEEL.

Manufacturers started by supplying a 'cut down' sort of 'virtual' Spare Wheel.

You know what I mean, the 'Bicycle Size' Spare Wheels.

When they found that they could get away with this without too much objection, they went to the the next step.

The 'No Spare Wheel At All'.

Instead, you get a Bottle of Glue & an Electric Pump, with the Guarantee that if you EVER use it, you must buy a NEW TYRE.

Do you think Car Manufactures colluded with Tyre Manufactures on this one?

I bought a New BMW Convertible a few year ago with Run Flat tyre on it.

So, no Spare Wheel.

You must only run on a Run Flat (after a puncture) for a Limited Mileage.

The Cheeky Buggers tried to sell me a 'Get Me Home' INSURANCE POLICY just in case I had a puncture whilst on Holiday in the remote Scottish Highlands.

I turned the offer down of course!

So, BMW not only save money by not supplying a Spare Wheel, they want to 'Rip You Off' by selling You Insurance in case you have a Puncture!

:sadsmile:

The stop start system - normally does not use the starter motor to restart the engine (in the first minute or so after stopping) - it uses the mass of the flywheel which is spinning and reengages the clutch to start the crank / engine

There effectively is 2 clutches (for ease of explanation) - one between crank and flywheel and one between the flywheel and gearbox.

As long as the flywheel is spinning on its bearings the inertia is used to restart the car.

When its stopped - then the clutch reengages and the starter motor is used.

In early cars the bearings wore more than normal - as when oil pump stopped - lubrication stopped.

In later designs they changed the white metal bearings and added a polymer coating to them to reduce the wear when the oil pump was not running during the restart.

• Like 1

Well SimonAudi,

I bet what you've said isn't widely known.

I certainly wasn't aware of it.

Thank you for that very interesting technical information.

Hi, SimonAudi,

Do you think a Citigo SE L GreenTech would have the '2 Clutch Stop/Start Technology'?

Or would it only be reserved for Higher End Cars like Audis?

LOL, i doubt as a media baron or semi retired he has editorial control of every magazine, maybe his son does, 

but then they can lead the public in certain ways, 

and then they can do 'Investigative stuff' or not as they chose, Defeat Devices etc, then they are also the owners of vehicle testing establishments and companies.

i will tell you what is wrong with that article other than the elderly bit, that is Motability Vehicles bought by Motability and leased by individuals and families with someone with a disability and DLA HR or PIP, and that is very few go for cheap cars with less than the weekly allowance to pay over the 3 years, 

when you can get a £30,000 RRP vehicle for Nil or Low Deposit even if supposedly there is a£25,000 limit.

(the price Motability pay shows on the invoice quite clearly where a £30,000 vehicle costs them under £24,000 in many cases.)

David Cameron had Lord Heseltine helping 'us' out just a few years ago with the Economy /Industry & Commerce, that was the Lord Heseltine that was there 'advising when VW group were buying out or into the UK's most Prestige Car Manufacturer.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/business-27245995 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haymarket_Media_Group 

Plenty are Remainers and Remoaners for various reasons.   That is for another Briskoda section though.

Edited by Awayoffski

The Octogenarian Old Bugger has been fighting Tooth & Nail to keep is in the Disreputabe & Collapsing EU.

Who knows what he gets up to with his European Miscreant Friends?

• Like 1