Windscreen; dozens of tiny pits.

These show up in headlights of approaching vehicles or driving towards low sun. I think they were caused by a gritter coming fron the opposite direction so I had no chance to keep clear. I suppose the only solution is a new windscreen?

(I wonder if windscreens should be thought of as a wear item to be replaced after a high mileage; when I changed from my old Passat, which had 180k on the clock, to my mother's old car, which was hardly used, the improvement in visibility for night driving was dramatic.)

Do you scrape ice off your screen in icy conditions, one of the main causes of windscreen abrasion. Suggest just warming up the car with heating on max to avoid it or uae a big dollop of de-icer instead.

you do get glass polish but not sure how effective it actually would be. If you dont mind the excess then an 'accidental

' hit from a large stone will do the trick.

• Like 1

Do you scrape ice off your screen in icy conditions, one of the main causes of windscreen abrasion. Suggest just warming up the car with heating on max to avoid it or uae a big dollop of de-icer instead.

Strange. We Finns scrape ice off of our cars for 3-4 months every year and we never have issues with scratched glass.

And I would have to get up at four in the morning to start my 1.4 TSI if I wanted it defrosted when it's time to go to work. :D Electric pre-heater with cabin heater is where it's at, or even better, a fuel powered parking heater.

Edited by Perc

Suggest just warming up the car with heating on max to avoid it or uae a big dollop of de-icer instead.

Or better still, use the wife's hairdryer to defrost all the exterior windows, assuming that you can run a power lead out to the car.

After owning my car for three years from new, I had a new windscreen fitted.

I was surprised how much better the new screen was for visibility, especially at night, due to the lack of 'tiny pits'.

That was after only three years - it is one of those things that changes progressively over time so you don't really notice it, until you have a step change like a new screen.

Edited by GriffoVRS