Gear Knob / Stick - vRS DSG

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I'm considering buying a '10 plate Octavia vRS DSG. My question is: Is it possible to replace the rather cumbersome gear knob for something a little more streamlined from the VAG stable such as the knob from the Golf DSG or even the newer MKVI DSG knob?

Thanks.

yep, should be possible. lots of vag stuff is interchangable - i have a audi knob on mine (manual).

8361646062_9a0edb8bed.jpg

Audi knob fitted by lotus-gt, on Flickr

I don't think the DSG knob is as straight forward as the manual, Rob

I'd love a Golf R32 DSG knob on mine, but not sure how big a job it is :(

There was a thread on possible another vag forum?

It was a pig of a job to do, will see if I can find it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

yep, should be possible. lots of vag stuff is interchangable - i have a audi knob on mine (manual).

8361646062_9a0edb8bed.jpg

Audi knob fitted by lotus-gt, on Flickr

Hi Brimma, sorry to drag up an old thread. My local Audi dealer is not being particularly helpful to me as a Skoda owner. They refuse to accept this S knob fits. Would you be kind enough to tell me which Audi model this is from or the part number.

Thanks

Hi Brimma, sorry to drag up an old thread. My local Audi dealer is not being particularly helpful to me as a Skoda owner. They refuse to accept this S knob fits. Would you be kind enough to tell me which Audi model this is from or the part number.

Thanks

No idea, sorry

I think Rob suggested that it might be straightforward, which it might be for a manual

The DSG, however, appears to be anything but

Your local Audi dealer won't be much help i suspect ;) and even if you were to quote a part number there are cheaper ways to buy one:

I sourced both of mine from ebay - the red one on the 2012 car was from this seller:

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/*www.vag-navisystems.com*&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SELLERID&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2533

.. and the first one on the 2010 vrs was from german ebay from this guy:

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/tuning-fanatics-shop&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SELLERID&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2533

manete_m.jpg

The red one is A3, and the black one is A4 iirc - they both have the same shaft as the octavia. Both came with a new pinch clamp plus the audi gaiter that you don't need (re-use the skoda item so it fits the console).

Hope that helps.

I've just changed the gearknob on a standard six speed manual box, 2011 vintage.

The knob came from 'Moving Parts', Norfolk. £6 including P&P.

No instructions, but its all pretty obvious. Its a nicely engineered job and really looks the part.

I cut ~5.5 cm from the original gearstick and since the stick goes further into the new knob as compared with the Skoda knob I think the effect is to make the whole thing ~6 /7 cm shorter.

One point - when cutting the stick it appears to be a tube - but the bit that needs cutting is solid. 10 hectic minutes with a 6" junior hacksaw.