rear wheel nut cross threaded

Have checked back a bit but without luck, New rear tyres fitted today and discovered a cross threaded wheel nut. In the meantime running on 4 nuts.Appreciate any measures I could take that will resolve the issue. Fitter said that was not to much of an issue until the next MOT so long as regular check on the security of the other 4.

Might try a good good clean out and order a new wheel nut and see what happens ?

Any ideas? Please.

wheel nut, or wheel bolt? If it's a stud ie a threaded bolt attached to the hub, that can be drilled out and replaced. If it's a bolt, that goes INTO the hub, you'll need a new wheel bolt and possibly need the thread re-tapping. HTH

Might help if you tellus if it's fronts (discs) or rears (possibly shoes and a drum)

HZ, you can have the thread 'Helicoiled' at virtually any garage. Replace the wheel bolt too. If you are competent, do it yourself. Kits are available everwhere. No need to replace anything and it can be done in situ with nothing more than removal of the wheel. Costs peanuts and is normally the chosen way to go for a perfect repair that's as good as new.

Edit: use a drill guide if you are going to do it yourself to make sure you get a nice even centred hole before tapping and fitting the helicoil, and maybe consider using a solid steel insert type.

Edited by Estate Man

Fitter said that was not to much of an issue until the next MOT so long as regular check on the security of the other 4.

What!! It is an issue absolutely and needs sorting , no way would I use a heli coil either perhaps a time-cert but a replacement hub would be better but there is a chance the thread is repairable so it needs someone who knows what they are doing to look at it

What!! It is an issue absolutely and needs sorting , no way would I use a heli coil either perhaps a time-cert but a replacement hub would be better but there is a chance the thread is repairable so it needs someone who knows what they are doing to look at it

Steel helicoil insert is stronger than repairing the thread and when done properly is as strong as original thread. Up to an individual though as to whether they want to go that route of course. And what's a 'time-cert'?

Yes granted but done properly is the key phrase.

A time-cert is a steel insert which is threaded.http://www.timesert.com/

On a wheel I'd probably fit a new hub but there is a good chance only a few threads are damaged meaning it could be cleaned up and would be fine

Any ideas? Please.

The tyre fitters are liable for the damage done. Rather than do anything yourself, you should immediately contact the people who did the damage and demand they pay for the repair - which should be a new hub and bolt fittes at a competent garage or preferably dealer. Tell them you intend to submit a claim in the small claims court against them if they do not comply.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

Yes granted but done properly is the key phrase.

A time-cert is a steel insert which is threaded.http://www.timesert.com/

On a wheel I'd probably fit a new hub but there is a good chance only a few threads are damaged meaning it could be cleaned up and would be fine

Yes, those are the type I use, but I only ever use the 'Helicoil' steel inserts on something like a hub. I'm sure Time-cert is good too but just never used that brand. To anyone considering this type of repair, they are very easy to fit but for a best job use a drill guide as I suggest in my earlier post and don't deviate from the instructions in the kit. It's hard to ham it up if you are used to handling tools, but if anyone doesn't have the tools and kit or is not very handy leave it to an eggspurt as it will work out cheaper and probably quicker. Once it's done it's a permanent proper job.

PS. if anyone is uncertain about which inserts to use contact Helicoil technical help desk who will advise the correct type to use. It's important to use the right type.

Edited by Estate Man