2012 Honda Civic 2.2 i-DTEC

I'm admitting defeat with my 2007 PD170 vRS. It's turned into a bit of a lemon so it's going.

Time for a nearly new car that's got a few years manufacturers warranty.

Does anyone on here have any experience of the latest Honda Civic?

I'm looking at the 2.2 diesel rather than the 1.6 diesel so at least it still has some poke and the ES spec rather than the more basis SE.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

home-place-holder-shadow.png

There not all lemons Silver and I'm sure your's really isn't. I know you've had your problems but would a CR TDi Vrs not float your boat

in yellow

I know you are right Andy, I've been keeping my eye on used CR vRS's but finding one with under 20,000 miles with xenon's and rear parking sensors for my max budget of £15K just isn't happening!

Hello mate.

Sorry to hear your tale of woe. My wife has a Honda Civic, albeit hers is a 1.8 petrol. It's her second Honda, her first being an Accord sport and both have been faultless mechanically.

Prior to the Octavia, I owned a Honda HRV which never let me down.

A good mate of mine has the CRV with the 2.2 diesel and again it's been faultless. I've driven his car and the Honda diesel is a cracker. Quiet and refined and pulls like a train.

I've heard that the Civic diesel also suffers with the dreaded DMF problems and it appears to be only the Civic which is affected.

Have a look on a Honda Civic forum called Civinfo, it's a very good site and they appear to be a helpful bunch on there.

There's nothing worse than being saddled with a lemon, I know as I too have been there! Best wishes & the very best of luck with your next purchase.

Cheers

FP

• Like 1

Which trim level slider?

I've been looking at one year old examples and they are all SE's and ES's.

EX, really nice with the premium audio/sat nav. Was originally looking at the ES-t and don't think I would have shelled out the extra £1,800 if I was buying this but its a company lease car and will cost me less than £600 extra over the 3 years.

Have you test driven one yet. I tried a civic before I bought my 1st octy. I found the ride to be harsh and fidgety in the 1.4 petrol, though it was the cheaper spec 'S'.... The diesels had a poor reliability record when I was looking at them in 2011 in the which car survey, though I never bothered to find out what the issues were as I was interested in the petrol until I tried one. I wasn't impressed with the build quality either and found the Octy far better. Just my thoughts. HTH

There's nothing worse than being saddled with a lemon, I know as I too have been there! Best wishes & the very best of luck with your next purchase.

Thanks FP, kind words.

We have two Octavia's, the wife has a Scout and it was this cars faultless reliability which convinced me to get an Octavia too, all-be-it a vRS.

To be fair I'm not blaming the car completely. I'm convinced it's issues are all linked to a botched refit of the injectors.

Still my confidence in Skoda's reliability has been shaken a little. Not enough to put me off buying another but I think it would make more sense to buy as new as I can afford.

This led me to look at other cars and the new Civic caught my eye. There aren't many cars in this class with 2.2 litre 150bhp diesel engines on 16" wheels!

Had a sit in one this morning and was a little bit tighter than I was expecting but felt nice enough.

If I buy new it is possible to upgrade the 3 year 90,000 mile warranty to a 6 year unlimited mileage warranty for an extra £699.

With my high mileage this is a lot of hassle/worry free motoring.

Saying that I just spotted a fully loaded 2011 DSG diesel vRS with 19,000 miles on up for £15K.

I think I should just let the wife decide for me, then I know it won't be my heart ruling over my head :giggle:

Have you test driven one yet. I tried a civic before I bought my 1st octy. I found the ride to be harsh and fidgety in the 1.4 petrol, though it was the cheaper spec 'S'....

Not yet mate, I plan to though.

I've read the reviews on the previous Civic and there is some criticism about the hard ride.

I've read the reviews on the previous Civic and there is some criticism about the hard ride.

Ride comfort has really improved with the latest model. If anything now set up more for comfort than sport. That said it comes into its own once you start to push it.

Let us know how you get on. The previous model I drove didn't get the same rave reviews other hondas got and the customer surveys I saw didn't think they were as good either ( when compared to other hondas which did well). The newer model is supposed to be better so I'll be intetesting to see what you think compared to the octy.

Cheers

Have thought about the new Kia ceed?? i sat in a pro ceed at the weekend & was very impressed with the car & overall package.

Our best friends bought a brand new 2008 Kia Ceed, it's been unloved for the last 5 years and hasn't missed a beat...

...and it has 2 years of manufacturers warranty still on it!

I'm a fan of toys and twinkly things, loving the LED DRL's on both the Ceed and the Civic (and the vRS - must stop looking!)

Kia C'eed & the Hyundai i30 are more or less the same car I believe. We've a couple of the 1.6 diesel i30's at work and even though they are the poverty spec models they aren't exactly sparse on equipment and have almost no engine noise at motorway speeds. 5 year warranty as well as twinkly LED lights on the front ;)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but does the current Civic not have the most hideous backside on the road?

I test drove the previous version and found the visibility awful all round. It was a bit bling bling on the inside too and I thought it would start to irritate after a while. It did feel like a well put together car and I know a few people who own and like their Civics.

My Octy is 6yr old next month and only now are things starting to go wrong. I had the teves ESP go and a rear hub. the former is poor design the latter is wear and tear (plus bad design). But 5yr+ of fault free motoring is still the best I've ever had from a car.

If you're looking for warranty then Kia is the way to go with their 7yr. I've seen a few Optimas on the road and I like them. They'll be a steal at 3yr old. the Hyundai i40 is essentially the same car but 5yr warranty.

Edited by Aspman

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but does the current Civic not have the most hideous backside on the road?

Friend of mine had a Civic for about 4 years (same hideous style but without the now-worse-post-facelift-spoiler) - he liked the car but always complained the visibility was rubbish.

The interior looked funky when he first got it, a bit space age ... but every time I got in it I increasingly got the impression that they contracted out the interior design to Tomy. Everything was needlessly big, round and garish. My twin nieces' present haul last Christmas reminded me very much of it.

I should add, it was a great car otherwise - went pretty well and never let him down (it was a company car so he had to get rid eventually). Just not for me style wise.

I agree mate, there is nothing worse than losing faith in a car.

Whilst my wife's Civic has been the paragon of mechanical reliability, I must admit I don't like it. I don't like the interior with the switchgear arranged in a very confusing manner and compared to my Octavia, the build quality feels cheap. The doors don't close with a reassuring clunk and it feels very skittish on the move. This however, could be down to the low profile tyres that are fitted.

The paint is also very soft and marks very easily from things like cherry blossom landing on it or from bird droppings.

And who the hell thought it appropriate to release it on to the market without a rear wash wipe, needs their arse kicking. Instead, there is a bloody large spoiler which seriously reduces the view from the rear.

Still, that's just my view of it. She's more than happy with it as I'm sure many owners of them are.

Good luck.

FP.

Edited by flying pig