4wd quote for golf 4motion parts

+ fab work to fit the rear diff and axles.

+ a wider track would need to be addressed.

+ would the GB match up to the ASZ/BLT without much modification?

Imagining that the rear hubs will be similar if not the same as the ones from the Audi S3, the rear brakes will need modified to fit.

You may need a new exhaust fabricated to give room for the prop to run the length of the car.

You'll loose your spare wheel well.

Not sure what way the suspension works in the 4 motion, but guessing that its not using a trailing arm/tortion bar setup like the Fabia is? So that would need changed too possibly?

I'm sure the cost would be huge even after buying the initial parts, but good luck if you're going for it!

Take a look at Boss Foxxes Citi-go project with the 1.8 20vt with AWD for an idea of the fabrication needed.

+ fab work to fit the rear diff and axles.

+ a wider track would need to be addressed.

+ would the GB match up to the ASZ/BLT without much modification?

Imagining that the rear hubs will be similar if not the same as the ones from the Audi S3, the rear brakes will need modified to fit.

You may need a new exhaust fabricated to give room for the prop to run the length of the car.

You'll loose your spare wheel well.

Not sure what way the suspension works in the 4 motion, but guessing that its not using a trailing arm/tortion bar setup like the Fabia is? So that would need changed too possibly?

I'm sure the cost would be huge even after buying the initial parts, but good luck if you're going for it!

Take a look at Boss Foxxes Citi-go project with the 1.8 20vt with AWD for an idea of the fabrication needed.

its just a thought at the moment its suppost to be my second car im promised my mrs after the last I wont be doing another but after seeing them on track on youtube gets me going lol

The 4WD golfs/TT have compeltely different independant suspensiopn to the normal golfs.

Plus things mentioned and another 100 things.

As funny as it would be, it would probably be the biggest waste of money in your life.

• Like 4

hi right

rear diff £300

prop £125

rear hubs £125 a corner

gear box £350

thats the main things that would make it 4wd

thanks

what u guys think?

The prop will go through the fuel tank and the exhaust will no longer fit.

Plus you need to get the suspension the same width as the car, brace the shell to accept drive to the rear, mount everything exactly in the right place to maintain the car's geometry etc...

• Like 1

Another 4x4 thread :D

all you donor parts would be better off coming from an a3 quattro, preferably a diesel model too, a golf 4motion gearbox will be no use to you whatsoever because it will only fit e 6 cylinder engines... Rather than just buying bits and pieces from eBay and hoping for the best you'd be far better off buying the whole entire car.

I still think it would be best to chop the entire rear floor pan out of the car, and graft in the one from an a3 quattro, then use the whole setup.. subfrmes, suspension, differential, driveshafts, uprights fuel tank... The whole caboodle.. There snot much difference in track width so you'd be able to get away with it

• Like 3

Another 4x4 thread :D

all you donor parts would be better off coming from an a3 quattro, preferably a diesel model too, a golf 4motion gearbox will be no use to you whatsoever because it will only fit e 6 cylinder engines... Rather than just buying bits and pieces from eBay and hoping for the best you'd be far better off buying the whole entire car.

I still think it would be best to chop the entire rear floor pan out of the car, and graft in the one from an a3 quattro, then use the whole setup.. subfrmes, suspension, differential, driveshafts, uprights fuel tank... The whole caboodle.. There snot much difference in track width so you'd be able to get away with it

That's what I tried to say 3 days back :wacko:

No point in buying a petrol gearbox, need the whole rear floor pan etc etc

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Yes I totally agree RAF_ it's obviously the best way of doing it, it would take balls of steel to chop up 2 decent cars though, you need to be a decent welder too, I don't mean " oh my mate puts patches on sills to get them through an mot" I mean top drawer stuff, it would need to be reinforced in certain areas and you would have to get the alignment perfect too.. It's not impossible but it would require a lot of time, skill and patience.

• Like 2

The 4motion system is a just a Haldex part time 4x4 system isn't it?

So after doing all this you'd only have a system that engages drive to the rear after slippage is detected at the front wheels? Hardly worth it.

So after doing all this you'd only have a system that engages drive to the rear after slippage is detected at the front wheels? Hardly worth it.

You can upgrade the haldex controller to one which is more proactive, there are also differences between different versions of the haldex system. The pre FL scout/4x4 Octavia has Haldex 2 whereas the FL versions have Haldex 4 (I think) which is what the Yeti has. Haldex 4 cuts in earlier than the older version.

Guest BigJase88

Sell fabia

Buy a rare mk5 golf gt tdi 4motion!

Tuning potential on the cr 16v derv is far superior to the old 1.9 8v!

And save a packet and a headache

yes it's a haldex system, basically it's an electro-hydraulic coupling, however if you know what you are doing you can trick them into locking up into full time 50/50 split, but it does put a lot of wear on the internal pump...

nevertheless, I call 'dreamer' on the whole concept, it would be a lot of fun, and it would take some quite prodigious skill to get it going. I stand by what I said in another thread... Which was " if you have to ask the questions, you should be thinking about it"

I'd save your money, buy a 4motion/Quattro/impreza for some 4wd shenanigans and keep & use the Fabia as daily fun.

As cool as the 4wd nitrous powered Fabia looks on YouTube, you need to have serious skills, deep pockets and a lot of spare time to seriously consider this conversion!

That said...if you do it...can I have a go in it plz? :-)

You can upgrade the haldex controller to one which is more proactive, there are also differences between different versions of the haldex system. The pre FL scout/4x4 Octavia has Haldex 2 whereas the FL versions have Haldex 4 (I think) which is what the Yeti has. Haldex 4 cuts in earlier than the older version.

Yes, version 4 (as in my Yeti) does not wait for wheel spin to "lock up", it can split the drive before that happens under some circumstances. It's a good system.

The race controller for the Haldex 2 to pre-load a bit of rear drive so it activates quicker is not cheap. £600-£900 IIRC?

As Tom said, you can "trick it" with a bit of modifying for a 50:50 split.

This is what they had done to the Fabia AutoCross car I bought I believe.