VRS TDI 170 prices, has the bottom fallen out?

Hi guys just seeking a bit of advise, i've had my octavia advertised for about 2 months now with little interest, its priced well, around 5890, with 105k, full service history, and in genuine condition etc, its one of the cheapest around but no real genuine interest, whats wrong?

Ive had it on autotrader, and its currently on ebay.

its a 2008/57, genuine condition as in, its not been modified, exterior and interior is as it came from the factory.

Service history is full, everything through skoda bar the last service.

I would guess mileage is the problem - £5890 buys a lot of lower mileage vehicles, maybe not as good but more life left

Edited by Flying

I would guess mileage is the problem - £5890 buys a lot of lower mileage vehicles, maybe not as good but more life left

Just sold my 57 plate 128000 miles for £3250 as a trade in.

Yours is at least £1000 overpriced.

Try it at £4950

not on a diesel octavia vrs tdi it doesnt?

Autotrader gets you 4990 - 198,000 miles, 5,798 - 100,000 miles, 5995 - 100,000 miles etc, non of these being 2008 registered models.

3250 as a trade in is expected, which will probably soon be on sale for 5495!

Mine also being the 4th cheapest on autotrader, anything before mine is older with 20,000 more miles.

But you are selling privately. Remember private sale value is a good bit less than forecourt retail price whatever anybody tells you.

Traders are selling PD170 vrs's with similar mileage/age as yours for what you're asking.

You need to reduce the asking price. I think around £5300 is nearer the mark. Try another autotrader advert at £5300 and if you get no interest in the first week drop the price again.

Edited by booke23

I would rather offer warranty than knock off 600, warranty is only 120 and isnt really worth the paper its written on, the aa parts and labour is 100% better, which i may just include at the asking price.

when I was looking forecourt and private sale price was the same for pre fl vrs's. Prices seem to have dropped a lot since I bought too. I paid 7400 for a 56 plate with 67k on the clock

I'd look at advertising in a different area. The further south you go the more expensive cars get and people WILL travel

I would rather offer warranty than knock off 600, warranty is only 120 and isnt really worth the paper its written on, the aa parts and labour is 100% better, which i may just include at the asking price.

Unfortunately for you, the Sale of Goods Act is worth the paper it is written on. There is more protection buying from a dealer.

• Like 1

It won't make a difference. There is basically no way you will achieve forecourt prices with a private sale.

It's not just a warranty that dealerships offer....customers are protected by the sale of goods act when buying from a dealership too. Which means there is comeback even if no warranty is offered.

Also remember that the value of your car is only going one way.......down. The longer you don't sell it the less it'll be worth.

Personally I would never buy from a private seller,

No matter how good the car is you dont have a leg to stand on as soon as you drive away!

I bought my 06 vRS from a dealer last year with a full warranty,

It was slighty over priced compared to same cars on private sales.

The car has full main dealer service history but still I've had over £1800 worth of repairs all coverd by the warranty, (AC compressor / Air bag / abs pump / Alarm siren / door card)

If I bought the car private I would be sick :-( and out if pocket.

Also once you break the 100k mark people are also put off,

Sorry to say you will be lucky to get £4k

Edited by bulls20042002
  • Like 1

Bought mine a year ago from a main dealer,

One owner from new

Full history

42k miles

£5999

His is a 2008.

Dealer prices for similar cars are high £5k's.

I paid £4200 for min 2 weeks ago. 100, 000 07plate.

A vrs?......anyway, it's a year older than the OP's car.

Ye I get the OPs car is newer but it still has over 100k on the clock.

There are lots of low mileage car around for the same price!

There is a 09 on ebay with 100k for £5999

Edited by bulls20042002

Yeah, so that puts his car at low £5k's

If anything ebay values are slightly lower than private autotrader values. I think there is a slight perception that a car on ebay is more likely to be a lemon.

CAP trade price

Valuation Reference: VT6A-NR2E-Mileage:105000

Trade In Clean £4,250 - £4,525

Trade In Average £3,875 - £4,150

Trade In Below. £3,550 - £3,775

Maybe a bit strong for a quick sale.

Hi guys just seeking a bit of advise, i've had my octavia advertised for about 2 months now with little interest, its priced well, around 5890, with 105k, full service history, and in genuine condition etc, its one of the cheapest around but no real genuine interest, whats wrong?

Sorry to hijack the thread,

But this vrs is near enough identical stats to my vrs, mine dec 07/57 done 106k got offered 5k part x this time last year...

With the way the values dropping, I am most definitely going to run it until it dies !