Sick to death of it now!

So I've spent the last few hours trying to sort a few bits and bobs out on my car, the list is as follows...

- Adjust gear linkage cables

(hard to get into first and reverse)

- Check powerd steering fluid

(getting alot of noise from the pump)

- Change aux belt

(when it's cold it squeaks alot)

- Fix broken alternator wire?

(Only a possibility, still idles at around 950rpm when the cars been switched off and started again, can't find a broken wire though)

- Paint rest of calipers

(looking abit chipped and crap now)

- Inspection service

(not due but will be soon)

- Fix rattles (well this is just bloody impossible! So many of them)

- Knock from front (I'm at an end with it now, thought it was kick mount when I put a power bar in between the chassis and the mount and it made a very similar noise... Replaced it today, still the same!)

- Roof lining needs adjusting

(the middle bit with the interior light)

- Tweeter speaker

(drivers side is knackerd so cut it to stop the crackling noise)

- Wheel bearing noise (it's very faint so possible road noise, hopefully not gearbox whine!)

I can't decide if the knocks strut top bearing or an internal knock on the steering rack :/

Have many of you replace the steering rack because of an internal knock? It's only got 76k on it :/

have you checked the small link arms there is one on each wheel the small knuckle joint goes then they knock when you go over a bump.

bill

Well I'm finally home now after a headache of a day... Love days off me!

Anyway today I have!

Adjusted gear linkages successfully, first and reverse (aswell as other gears) all go in no problem! Wish I'd adjusted them ages ago!

Changed aux belt so it doesn't squeak anymore and at least another job off the list!

Removed the air box, air feed, battery, battery tray etc... Cleaned them all up and most importantly checked the powerd steering fluid. It had enough in and I no it's not leaking so just needed topping up abit so it's just below the max mark now and the pumps gone silent again!

I found the broken alternator wire!!! Very tough as the sleeve was still intact but the thin wire inside was broken. Made a repair to that which has fixed the high idle my car was suffering from so everyone that said their car was the same as the video I posted a few month ago... I'm 100% sure the high idle is down to a snapped alternator wire.

The roof lining needed adjusting since I fitted the updated interior light with map lights, the bracket that holds the light was smashed and used to rattle and the light would sit wonky. That's been replaced now and doesn't rattle and sits perfectly!

Next on the list, replace n/s/f spring as its 100% catching so just another knock getting on my tits, nice easy job as well.

Also going to order two full bottom arms with balljoints and front bushes "might" change the consol bushes to cupra ones if they don't cost much. I changed them for standard ones a few month ago and are still going strong but... Might as well!

Edit: oh... And I fixed the rear washer jet, it didnt work when I bought the car but couldn't be botherd to find the problem. It was the usual problem of the pipes popping apart at the bulk head.

• Like 1

Anyway today I have!

Adjusted gear linkages successfully, first and reverse (aswell as other gears) all go in no problem! Wish I'd adjusted them ages ago!

Changed aux belt so it doesn't squeak anymore and at least another job off the list!

Removed the air box, air feed, battery, battery tray etc... Cleaned them all up and most importantly checked the powerd steering fluid. It had enough in and I no it's not leaking so just needed topping up abit so it's just below the max mark now and the pumps gone silent again!

I found the broken alternator wire!!! Very tough as the sleeve was still intact but the thin wire inside was broken. Made a repair to that which has fixed the high idle my car was suffering from so everyone that said their car was the same as the video I posted a few month ago... I'm 100% sure the high idle is down to a snapped alternator wire.

The roof lining needed adjusting since I fitted the updated interior light with map lights, the bracket that holds the light was smashed and used to rattle and the light would sit wonky. That's been replaced now and doesn't rattle and sits perfectly!

Next on the list, replace n/s/f spring as its 100% catching so just another knock getting on my tits, nice easy job as well.

Also going to order two full bottom arms with balljoints and front bushes "might" change the consol bushes to cupra ones if they don't cost much. I changed them for standard ones a few month ago and are still going strong but... Might as well!

Edit: oh... And I fixed the rear washer jet, it didnt work when I bought the car but couldn't be botherd to find the problem. It was the usual problem of the pipes popping apart at the bulk head.

Where's that video of the high idle?

And could you possiby post a pic identifying the alternator wire?

Sounds like you've Had a productive days work :)

• Like 1

Thanks for digging out the video for me.

It did bug me the fact the car is revving itself every single time it's started... And I also know its at fault an didnt want the new buyer to be like... "Huh why is it idling at nearly 1,000 rpm?"

I seem to do this with every car I own before I sell it, make sure everything is 100% spot on before she goes.

I'm off to TGI Fridays tonight but will try and tick a few more things off the list tomorrow night after work.

• Like 1

Thanks gobsheene!

Mine does this but once 1 Minute appears on the running timer I blip the throttle and it drops back and that's it lol might check the wire just incase!

Enjoy TGI Fridays if you don't die from salt poisoning lol

Sounds exactly like mine, after a minute has passed and the throttle is pressed it settles down. Turn it off and back on straight away and it will be high again. I've went 6 month with it so doesn't seem to affect anything els or cause any problems, just annoying more than anything.

I'm 100% sure it will be the cause of your fault :)

I survived TGI's... Bill set me back at least a tank of fuel though!

• 1 year later...

Anyway today I have!

pictures of interior lights