Ignition Switch

Good morning folks. Got correct diagnosis, and new ignition switch in hand.

Also this excellent "How to" from here and earlier threads.

Unfortunately, links within this document don't work for me in these instructions

http://skoda.worksho...dex.php?id=3112

Does anyone have an alternative guide ?.

eg how to remove steering surround without damaging anything?. Only found one hex screw so far.

Thanks very much

turn steering wheel 90 degrees left and then right to access the others

once the cover is off its a simple job, just unclip (2 small screwdrivers to hold in the tabs) the old one, line up the new one and pop it in (make sure the slot in the centre is lined up with the metal blade also

its hard to explain, but you will see when you take the old one out, its a 15 min job

Ignore the other links you just need to read the text, the diagrams are the actual switch on the end on the ignition barrell

The steering wheel must not be removed. For installing the fixing screws of the bottom trim panel for steering column, turn the steering wheel to the left by 90° and subsequently turn it to the right. –  First of all remove the top and then the bottom steering column trim panel.     –  Release cover -1- (if present) for ignition starter switch by inserting a small screwdriver in the opening -arrow- and lift off the cover -movement arrow- through extensive levering off and remove. –  Disconnect plugs -3- from ignition starter switch -2-.   octavia-mk2-7290.png –  Release ignition starter switch by inserting two small screwdrivers (e.g. watch-and-clock screwdriver) in the openings -arrows-and by levering off the catch pegs. –  Pull ignition starter switch -1- out of the steering lock. Install –  Installation is performed in the reverse order, pay attention to the following points:
hinweis.gif  Note
When installing the ignition/starter switch and the steering lock must be in the same position, e.g. „Ignition ON“. –  Insert ignition starter switch into the steering lock until there is an audible click.   octavia-mk2-7291.png

• 2 years later...

Did mine recently and it has fixed my problems.

Fairly straightforward studying all the info linked to in this thread.

Symptoms were that car (2008 Skoda Octavia Mk2 1.9 Diesel "classic 3") erratically wouldn't turn over or start. I suspected it wasn't anything too serious as when the starter did turn the engine always starts straight off with no problems.

This happened one or two times over the week and I was scratching my head as to what it could be - turn switch to ignition on, wait for glow plug light to go out, turn to crank and everything would die. Would have to turn the key forward & back a number of times before I got life again. Sometimes the car would crank, splutter and then die. Then randomly it would start fine.

This got progressively worse until it wouldn't start at all & I began to realise that wobbling the key around in the ignition indicated faulty contacts in the switch.

Got the part referred to as VAG ignition switch 1K0905849B, disconnected battery, removed covers by unclicking the upper part of the steering column cover from the lower to reveal two torx screws (think they were T25) either side of steering wheel (turn wheel to access - noting key needs to be in to release steering lock). Removed the one recessed torx (T25) on underside of cover next to adjustment lever & removed the two torx (T30) on steering column adjustment handle to get it out of the way. Pulled off cover.

Located the back of the ignition switch, removed sticker & black plastic cover from switch to reveal the tags you need to put a screw driver in to release (you can work out what needs to be done by studying the locking tabs on the new switch). I used a couple of small panel pin nails as there wasn't much room. Switch was a bit fiddly to remove & unplug, but it came off in the end.

New switch in, all back together & 1 week later still running sweet.

In total, about 15 or 20 minute job & £12 for the switch.

Thanks for everyone's help.

• 2 months later...

Bit of thread revival here. 

I'm having problems with the bolero unit in my mk2 fl tdi octavia vrs. 

Head unit will be OK most of the time but flicker on an off randomly some times. I can hear the clicking under the steering wheel. Ignition switch? 

Wondering if anyone can confirm the part no. For my car and where to purchase at £15? Is the new part fixed so I don't have to worry when replaced? Seem something further up the post about a revision A part. 

Will be looking at replacing myself. Not read the whole thread or the links yet. Does the negative post on the battery have to be disconnected to replace a switch? Or can it be replaced in situ? 

Thanks 

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, j3ggo said:

What do you mean?

I wrote a question, but realised that I had answered it in the question. I couldn't delete my comment, so I just said "Deleted" instead.