Joining the Superb Stable!

I've spent the vast majority of my time over in the MkII Octavia forum as the wife and I have an Octavia each, she has a Scout and I have a vRS.

The Scout has been faultless, my vRS was ruined by the dealer after a botched injector change last year (rising oil levels, bore wash, expired DPF, oil cooler, 3x turbo's, poor cold starting - the list is endless).

So it has to go. But what to replace it with!? I spent weeks on Autotrader looking at all sorts of cars but kept coming back to Skoda as they continue (just) to be great value. Seeing that the Superb came top of the latest JD Power survey made me look a little closer.

I'm prepared to sacrifice the 170bhp of the vRS, it's stiff suspension and unforgiving low profile tyres for something more gentlemanly! I do after all spend most of my 30,000 annual mileage at 70-80mph.

Cue the very cheap 2011 manual CR140 Superb SE on Skoda's used car site for £12,995 with 13,000 miles. Thought I'd go take a look.

Deal done, picking it up tomorrow morning. It's on Irish plates but is a UK supplied car. The original owner buys all his cars from Lister's in Coventry and takes them back home to Ireland where he works as a funeral director! I'll be putting private plates on anyway.

I'd have liked the Elegance, if only for the cornering bi-xenon headlights but this car was very well priced and actually specced very well even though it's a standard SE. The lack of auto wipers when it already has auto lights seems a little strange but I'll survive!

Here she is, a small scuff on the front bumper that should have already been fixed and it will have fresh carpet mats and a rubber boot liner added too.

Aside from the usual is there anything I should look out for? I forgot to check if the umbrella was still there :giggle:

http://www.skoda.net.r66.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=602845164

BXZ85602_zpsf8440eeb.jpg

Edited by silver1011

I've enjoyed my Superb II since I got it last August. A few minor niggles that I was hoping not to get with a new car, and similar crap experience at the same dealer as you. But otherwise it's been an enjoyable 23000 miles! :-)

One small issue, where are the roof rails :think: :rofl:

Haha, that's why I only showed a picture of the front profile :giggle:

I agree the estate is a much prettier car but I couldn't justify the extra, especially when there is mostly only ever me in it.

Maybe next time. In about 5 years time I'm sure used L&K's will be within my grasp!

I've enjoyed my Superb II since I got it last August. A few minor niggles that I was hoping not to get with a new car, and similar crap experience at the same dealer as you. But otherwise it's been an enjoyable 23000 miles! :-)

Fantastic!

This was not a planned purchase. I run my cars until they die and that was the plan with the vRS, however I wasn't expecting it to die quite so soon. As long as it gets me down to Coventry in the morning without showing the EML, DPF, glowplug light or limp-home mode I'll be good.

Still the Superb by all accounts is a superior car so if it lives up to its reputation it'll do for me.

One thing is for sure it will never cross the forecourt of DM Keith in York. Grrr.

Hi Wayne,

I thoroughly enjoyed your thread in the run up to buying your Superb, a great read and very informative.

It's sad to see you are thinking of letting it go but I fully understand your reasoning, Audi still make a very good car.

I always learn to love my cars and get very attached to them so the rear profile of the Superb will grow on me!

(even more so when someone works out how to code out the bulb-error warning light when the L&K rear LED light clusters are fitted. I'm saving up for them already :giggle: )

Haha, that's why I only showed a picture of the front profile :giggle:

I agree the estate is a much prettier car but I couldn't justify the extra, especially when there is mostly only ever me in it.

Maybe next time. In about 5 years time I'm sure used L&K's will be within my grasp!

Silver, I think our wires have been crossed.

The advert you posted shows standard equipment - roof rails :wonder: :giggle: have a look.

Ah sorry, I thought it was in reference to the fact I should have bought an estate :giggle:

I did notice that but then again the Skoda used car website does frustrate me sometimes so I've learnt to ignore the spec tables.

• Like 1

Hi Wayne,

I thoroughly enjoyed your thread in the run up to buying your Superb, a great read and very informative.

It's sad to see you are thinking of letting it go but I fully understand your reasoning, Audi still make a very good car.

I always learn to love my cars and get very attached to them so the rear profile of the Superb will grow on me!

(even more so when someone works out how to code out the bulb-error warning light when the L&K rear LED light clusters are fitted. I'm saving up for them already :giggle: )

Cheers mate!

Judging by the response so far to my selling thread - i might be camping here permanently or at least for a few years longer! Lol

U look after yourself and looking forward to exhange posts on this forum more often!

• Like 1

Deal done, picking it up tomorrow morning. It's on Irish plates but is a UK supplied car. The original owner buys all his cars from Lister's in Coventry and takes them back home to Ireland where he works as a funeral director! I'll be putting private plates on anyway.

LOL

Mine was the opposite - bought from a Northern Ireland Skoda main dealer, who had sourced it from Skoda direct. - So It came from NI, but with mainland '61' plates

• Like 1

Welcome to the superb clan, hope the octy finds a good home, the superb is a brill car and i came from a 57 plate octy mark 1 and the difference was mind boggling, the quietness and ride of the superb is 110% better, and the double boot is the cars party piece and i love it maybe a bit gimmicky but when you need to put a buggy or suitcases in the boot it really shines through and one of the other taxi drivers has a 12 plate passat and he came from a mk1 superb and says the legroom in the mk1 superb still beats the passat hands down

• Like 1

you can be assured of great service from the guys at Listers Skoda Coventry, my family have just bought their 5th car from the dealer.

They've been great so far. It really shows how different two dealers can be. DM Keith in York have a lot to learn.

Welcome to the superb clan, hope the octy finds a good home.

The Octavia is going in as a part exchange against the Superb, Lister's told me that due to the mileage (75,000) it'll go straight to auction.

I've just given it a wash and hoover ready for the journey to Coventry. Despite all the issues I've had I'll still miss it...

...until I get to drive the Superb home :giggle:

The Octavia is going in as a part exchange against the Superb, Lister's told me that due to the mileage (75,000) it'll go straight to auction.

I've just given it a wash and hoover ready for the journey to Coventry. Despite all the issues I've had I'll still miss it...

...until I get to drive the Superb home :giggle:

yeah i traded my octavia in too, it had 108,000 on it and it went straight to auction too, i too was quite sad driving mine into the dealer i had it since 2008 brand new and it is amazing how you think of a lump of metal as a person, i thought when reversing out of the drive on the morning o exchange this is the last time i'l reverse it out the drive way and when i got to the dealer and turned it off i thought this is the last time i'l sit in it but when i sat in the superb i was blown away with the space and still am, i completely forgot about the octavia and only thought of it again when the next day one of the other taxi drivers said that the car was a beauty (he has a 61 plate octavia), then i looked looked at central car auctions website and it was only there 6 days and then it was sold, and last month i seen it in bellshill with Glasgow PH plates on it, the car before the 57 plate octy a 55 plate octy i had, it is another local taxi up here and see if every week and give the guy a wee wave when i see him, and he is selling it in a few month and might be interested in buying it back, says he is only looking for £600 or so and it has 220,000 mile on it, but the interior is immaculate as its always got seat covers on and the exterior is in fine nick too Edited by United 11

Very nice, no regrets!

First day to work in it today, managed 65mpg on Maxidot. If this turns out to be accurate (after a brim-to-brim manual calculation) I'll be chuffed!

It'll come as no suprise that it's a world away from the vRS but its so much more comfortable.

I'm still working my way around the Bolero and just bought an SD card off Amazon.

No umbrella in the rear door, the dealer said they only come on the SE Plus and above. Didn't believe him but couldn't be bothered to argue!

Here's to the next 5 years and 160,000 miles of enjoyable driving :happy:

Very nice, no regrets!

First day to work in it today, managed 65mpg on Maxidot. If this turns out to be accurate (after a brim-to-brim manual calculation) I'll be chuffed!

It'll come as no suprise that it's a world away from the vRS but its so much more comfortable.

I'm still working my way around the Bolero and just bought an SD card off Amazon.

No umbrella in the rear door, the dealer said they only come on the SE Plus and above. Didn't believe him but couldn't be bothered to argue!

Here's to the next 5 years and 160,000 miles of enjoyable driving :happy:

very good, i have an S spec but still love mine, can you believe the space in the back :o! its crazy, and you figured out the boot mechanism yet

Here's to the next 5 years and 160,000 miles of enjoyable driving

....u do that many miles?!!!

im closing in to 18000 already! and only had the car since January and when i got it there was only 10 miles on the clock