New alloys and springs, advise?

Hi guys, 2009 1.9tdi octavia estate.

Ok, I'm going to upgrade the 16 inch alloys to the 18 inch black neptunes at end of this month (been saving!)

I'm assured this is just a straight swap? Jack her up take old alloys off and put neptunes on. No problem??

Any tyre recommendations please?

I'm also going to lower her a wee bit. I'm not after any performance upgrade at all. I just want it to sit nice on the new neptunes.

New springs? (Eibech??) and shall I just get standard bushes as well while I'm doing it? Not sure when or if they have ever been replaced, car on 70000 miles.

Is there anything else I should Defo get while I'm doing this?

Guys, many many thanks in advance.

Awesome, thanks Vectra. Am I good to go with just the springs when I lower? Then do alignment?

Thanks clarkey

You can only go so low on standard shocks.

Not certain how much. Probably -30mm

• Like 1

I'd be tempted to change shocks while I'm at it. If you're not a fairly competent mechanic you'll be paying a mechanic to change the springs (think I paid my local guy £120 to fit F&R shocks and springs), and at 70k the shocks ( and a fair few other suspension parts) will probably be towards the end of their life.

I fitted an H&R spring and shock kit to my 90K 59 plate and also ended up changing rear bump stops, front top mounts and top mount bearings, and front drop links because they were shot. The standard shocks were weeping a bit of oil and had seen better days.

Edited by devonutopia
  • Like 2

if you dont want to go too low, you might be able to just fit a set of standard vrs combi springs, that should give you about 15mm drop and should have no issues with the current shocks, not sure if anyone has done it on a 1.9 though

if you dont want to go too low, you might be able to just fit a set of standard vrs combi springs, that should give you about 15mm drop and should have no issues with the current shocks, not sure if anyone has done it on a 1.9 though

That would be perfect. Would it work??

Eibach's get a thumbs up from me: down 30mm ish from standard non-Vrs. Looks & rides much better;

Can't recommend Bilstein B4's with these springs though.

What about non-voided bushes? I'm getting mine done on Tuesday.

4 wheel alignment for sure, not because of the changes but because it probably wasn't right anyway.

Don't forget to tell your insurance company and factor in the extra cost there as well.

Bilstein B12 kit if you don't mind a stiffer ride. New top mounts at the front. New drop links at the front. New lower arm bushes at the front, anti-lift ones recommended. Updated RARB (Whiteline) and new rear drop links, and then a 4 wheel geometry set up. The Bilstein shocks have built in bump stops at the front, so one less thing to replace. As long as your ball joints and wheel bearings are OK that lot should outlast your ownership of the car and it will handle like on rails.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2