suggestion for an engine swap 1.9 tdi fwd to 3.2 4x4

hey guys i would be very pleased if you could help me with my dream project.

i have a 2007 skoda octavia 1.9 tdi . i am planning on working on a extensive project to convert it into 4x4 with a 3.2 or 3.0 tfsi audi's newest quattro basically any v6 engine .

i just finished my automotive engineering technology from ferris state uni in michigan and just came back. money is no problem. i am willing to spend over 40 grand. but for my own satisfaction i want to do it myself. it will take 2 years but i have a a6 as my everyday ride anyways. i can wait. lol..

and is that chassis capable to handle all that power smoothly?. .. i will definately be changing the gearbox suspension brakes steering radiator fuel pump with focal utopia and full exhaust for my ears

what would you guys think would be the best way to go. which engine should be the easiest to bolt on. i dont want to do any major welding works in the chassis. i could turbo up a 4 bangers but i wanna make this car very special…

any of you have any success story or any advise or may be some warning. i would be very thankful to you all.

Good luck

I'd just spend the £40k on something tasty!

RS6, RS4, Superb 3.6?

You could probably still get the engineering buzz from a much cheaper project!

You could find a written off Audi A3 3.2 quattro and use that as a donor car. A petrol 4x4 Octavia would probably make a better base car than a FWD diesel.

Start with a 4x4 donor Skoda if you can. not sure if the V6 will go straight in & you are looking at a heavier car which will compromise handling making it nose heavy

I built a 356 bhp 4x4 Mk 1 Octy & its a relatively simple build, strengthen the internals, Use s3 pistons & Pauter rods, bigger Turbo, I used a IHI which Jabbasport make bespoke cast manifold for so no risk of using welded manifolds which are always cracking. Audi TT 6 speed box will take the power & you just need to have a bespoke prop shaft made from Gearbox to rear diff which is made by combining the Skoda & TT shaft. You will need S3 driveshaft's as shorter than the Skoda ones to suit the box. then a decent clutch, bigger brakes, Improved Antiroll bars, I used R32 ones, A huge intercooler & some decent suspension, I used KW Variant 3 which are fully adjustable. AGAIN note this was a Mk 1 Octy

There are options to bore out for more CC but I found the 1800 plenty quick enough. Avoid huge turbos for big bhp as they tent to take an age to wind up & whilst you might have 500 bhp you never really get to use it

If others come along & say the V6 will go in I would go that route, as they can be turboed to give huge bhp which will offset any extra weight.

Might be worth a call or e-mail to Jabbasport for their thoughts on your ideas as they have built some monsters in the past & I trust their judgement as they always build driveable reliable cars http://www.jabbasport.com/

• Like 1

Start with a 4x4 donor Skoda if you can. not sure if the V6 will go straight in & you are looking at a heavier car which will compromise handling making it nose heavy

I built a 356 bhp 4x4 Mk 1 Octy & its a relatively simple build, strengthen the internals, Use s3 pistons & Pauter rods, bigger Turbo, I used a IHI which Jabbasport make bespoke cast manifold for so no risk of using welded manifolds which are always cracking. Audi TT 6 speed box will take the power & you just need to have a bespoke prop shaft made from Gearbox to rear diff which is made by combining the Skoda & TT shaft. You will need S3 driveshaft's as shorter than the Skoda ones to suit the box. then a decent clutch, bigger brakes, Improved Antiroll bars, I used R32 ones, A huge intercooler & some decent suspension, I used KW Variant 3 which are fully adjustable. AGAIN note this was a Mk 1 Octy

There are options to bore out for more CC but I found the 1800 plenty quick enough. Avoid huge turbos for big bhp as they tent to take an age to wind up & whilst you might have 500 bhp you never really get to use it

If others come along & say the V6 will go in I would go that route, as they can be turboed to give huge bhp which will offset any extra weight.

Might be worth a call or e-mail to Jabbasport for their thoughts on your ideas as they have built some monsters in the past & I trust their judgement as they always build driveable reliable cars , until recently they had an ex rally Fabia 4x4 for sale, get a V6 in that & it would be a hoot http://www.jabbasport.com/

If any VAG V6 motor will fit it will be the 3.2 fitted into the Golf MK5 4 motion. That was based on the same floorpan as the MK2 Octavia so should fit. Probably best to start with a 4x4 Octavia though here in the UK that would mean having an estate.

If you are committed to modifying your own car then finding a donor Golf like I said above would be an ideal source of parts I would have thought.

I agree with Stuart J about Jabbasport, you should go over to the Citigo projects section and see what they are doing to Bossfox's Citigo, now that is a project I think anyone would be proud of.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Get a Superb TFSi 4x4 instead!

Speaking from experience, being in INDIA parts availability and third party technical help that may be required to complete such a job will be difficult.

Edited by Aby

• 5 years later...
On 04/06/2013 at 01:52, dunc69 said:

Good luck

I'd just spend the £40k on something tasty!

RS6, RS4, Superb 3.6?

You could probably still get the engineering buzz from a much cheaper project!

The problem with India is, an RS5 would have set you back by £100,000 + taxes.