National meet 28/7/13 - South West convoy!

devonutopia

So, anyone up for an early convoy from the SW to this?

Apparently it starts at 8am! :D but I am proposing to arrive around 8.30am. This does mean I will be leaving Exeter @ 5.30am!!

I have a feeling I could be the only one leaving Exeter, but I will be passing Bristol, then coming off at J9 to have a fun shortcut on the A46 before hooking up with the M40 south to Gaydon.

Exeter 5.30am

1) devonutopia

Bristol Cribbs (ish) 6.45am

Gloucester (ish) 7.05am

Stratford (ish... :D) 7.50am

Gaydon circa 8.30am.

You might manage Cribbs for 6:45am but I think getting to Gloucester in 20mins in my Octavia SE would be pushing it unless I drove above the speed limit. May join you though and Cribbs would be my joining point. Will let you know nearer the time. Hope you get some more takers before then.

Also I intend on grabbing a bacon baguette from the petrol station at Michaelwood services on the way up. Not cheap there but very nice and they will heat them up.

Dave

Edited by DaveHarries

I was guessing at times. Cribbs to Glos is roughly 30 miles, so probably 25 minutes?

I might not necessarily stick to the limit on the A46 - There are some great stretches of road up there, and a few roundabouts to take away the boredom factor of the M5. :thumbup:

I was guessing at times. Cribbs to Glos is roughly 30 miles, so probably 25 minutes?

I might not necessarily stick to the limit on the A46 - There are some great stretches of road up there, and a few roundabouts to take away the boredom factor of the M5. :thumbup:

Perhaps you are right. Note, however, that there are roadworks on the M5 between J17 (Cribbs Causeway) and J15 (M4) and there is a 50mph limit throughout with ASCs but they may not prove too much difference in timing.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Speed enforcement is quite active on the A46 with a very low tolerence! (Going by the clients I have had on Speed Awareness Courses). Just go carefully as we don't want an all Skoda course!

Rob.

Guess I will just have to do 70 round the roundabouts as well as on the dual carriageway :D

I know where the fixed cams are along there, but you can never allow for a scamera van of course.

Are you booked in. :thumbup:

I guess for Barnstaple, the logical place to meet is Taunton Deane services as that is the first services on the M5 north from junction 27. :thumbup:

just seen this comment. ive paid so im guessing im booked in. lol.

yea taunton deane is the best one realy

• 4 weeks later...

Jars any update on your plans. I might meet at cribbs as the welsh one seems abit of a flop and it would only be 5 mins out the way if I go over the bridge. If not I will make my own way up as theres no point in making the other guys pull in just for me.

I am actually tempted to say anyone meeting at Cribbs just heads up to the Michael Wood services for 7am.  I don't want too many stops, and the idea was to just give an idea of times passing.

If you fancy waiting on the sliproad until I shoot past about 6.45?  I'll only be doing 50mph anyway as all average speed cameras in that area.

I'm booked in but my plans have been turned on their head.... Anyway, assuming I can still go I'll meet at Cribbs with Grr666 in my car (if he can make it)

Jars any update on your plans. I might meet at cribbs as the welsh one seems abit of a flop and it would only be 5 mins out the way if I go over the bridge. If not I will make my own way up as theres no point in making the other guys pull in just for me.

I'll be heading through Bristol in the morning so let me know any plans :)

The only stops for me will be Taunton Deane and Michael Wood.

From Michael Wood it will be up to junction 9, across A46 to the M40, then the short spurt down to Gaydon junction, about 15 miles I think.

If meeting at Gloucester it might be easiest to just sit on a motorway bridge (if there is one?) waiting for a long queue of Skodas to come from the south, as we'll have the Welsh lot included by then too.  Then just come down and join us.

Just head up to Tewkesbury J3nko and join them there

I'd tag along with you but you'll be up the road about an hour before me i think :)

and i think i'll go A40 and A429 instead, the joy of a super straight roman road

Just head up to Tewkesbury J3nko and join them there

Its junction 9, that's all I remember. :D  It goes through a little villagey place first with some kind of military depot or something to the left.  Then out into the countryside a bit, few roundabouts before a bit of duallie, past Stratford, then the M40.

Edit: Keep the revs high Joe when accelerating. ;)