Retrofit RNS510 - How Easy?

Hi,

I've been looking to get into Skoda ownership by buying a vRS. I've seen one which has the standard radio/CD set up (Bolero?) but I would really like to have the RNS510 sat nav system.

Can anyone advise how easy this is to fit and what other parts I'd need apart from the head unit? (New trim surround?).

I'm not very gifted technically (!!) so if it's a bit tricky I'd need to find someone to do it. I'm near Glasgow.

Thanks in anticipation.

Dead easy, takes about 5 mins to fit, pull the existing trim off, just start down the bottom where there would be an ash tray, give it a good tug, and then prize it away from the clips as you work your way to the top of the trim piece, once that is off and out of teh way, prize the front trim off the Bolero and undo the four torx screws in the corners, and remove and unclip the connectors on the back, find a location for the GPS aerial for the new Sat Nav unit, I found a metal bar just behind where the radio came out of, attach the aerial to that, I used some velcro, put a bit on the back of the aerial and some on the bar and they married up perfectly, the aerial will probably come with a long spool of wire so wind that up and stick a cable tie round it and push it down behind, connect the aerial and connectors up to the back of the new Sat Nav, push back in, screw in the four torx screws, and then put the new trim piece (that you can get from the dealer) back on by pushing it into the clips quite hard like you did when you removed the original piece at the start, then get it coded, there will be a nice Brioskoda member with VCDS near you I am sure, and for a few beer tokens they will hook the car up to the computer, tell the car it now has a navigation system, and thats it, job done, I have done it a few times to cars and it really isnt a difficult task, the longest part is the coding!!!

Enjoy the new sat nav, job done!

• Like 1

Thanks James - sounds very straightforward. A couple of quick follow-up questions if I may:

- an Octavia with sat nav fitted as standard comes with a longer aerial rather than the shorter stubbier one. I taker it that the longer aerial isn't required with a retrofit due to the aerial fitting in the dash which you described.

- are the different VAG RNS510's i.e. depending on if you have a VW or a Skoda etc.? If so, do I need to get the Skoda one (Columbus?)? I don't want it to boot up with VW logos after all!

Cheers.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Plug & play, no. There'll be a new DAB antenna to fit, a GPS antenna for the sat nav, a new surround because the Bolero is a different shape, there'll be some coding for the car and RNS510 to work correctly, and finally the RNS510 doesn't have Bluetooth.

• 2 years later...

Hi sorry to butt in on an old conversation but I'm trying to find out if a 2015 Skoda discovery media nav will be a plug and play into my 2014 Skoda superb with rns315 Amundsen+ any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

7 hours ago, Tulseface said:

Hi sorry to butt in on an old conversation but I'm trying to find out if a 2015 Skoda discovery media nav will be a plug and play into my 2014 Skoda superb with rns315 Amundsen+ any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

If it's MIB/MIB2 style as fitted to the newer MQB (MK3 Octavia, MK2 Superb etc) then no. It won't fit nor will be it compatible.

If it's a MIB PQ STD2 style as fitted to the later Yeti's, then it's possible to fit but not plug and play.

You'll need a quadlock adaptor as they use a 52 pin quadlock rather than an older 40 pin quadlock. You'll also need component protection removing otherwise you'll get 8 hours use before the headunit locks itself. You might want to ask Pab or read his thread: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/409691-amundsen-mib-std2-infotainment-system-with-android-in-superb-ii/

4 hours ago, langers2k said:

If it's MIB/MIB2 style as fitted to the newer MQB (MK3 Octavia, MK2 Superb etc) then no. It won't fit nor will be it compatible.

If it's a MIB PQ STD2 style as fitted to the later Yeti's, then it's possible to fit but not plug and play.

You'll need a quadlock adaptor as they use a 52 pin quadlock rather than an older 40 pin quadlock. You'll also need component protection removing otherwise you'll get 8 hours use before the headunit locks itself. You might want to ask Pab or read his thread: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/409691-amundsen-mib-std2-infotainment-system-with-android-in-superb-ii/

Hi langers2k I tried to message but realised you cannot receive messages, I am messaging as previously on my time on this forum you have gave me information on different problems I have had I have encountered a problem with my Columbus unit screen if you could view the attached link to a post about the screen malfunction. It would be much appreciated. Thank you so much.