Octavia III extra warranty but worried sick about DSG7

India has only 2 engines 1.8 TSI AND 2.0 TDI. I read the forums here in Romania and like other people I would not buy DSG 7. So we will be in luck if people buy these gearboxes without checking the forums first. And maybe they will post after they had no issues. Small chances that somebody reading the forums takes the risk...

How can someone possibly be worried sick about any product that they haven't even ordered, let alone own?! People tell you that there's a pretty high chance that the gearboxes are fine, but you still go "don't know if I believe that though"... Are you expecting people here (that you don't know personally) to basically reassure you of your own purchases with your very own money? That doesn't make any sense...

If you're worried "sick" about a white goods product, there's a simple solution: don't buy it! Go buy something else... This whole topic is just silly.

Thing is: a lot of people replying here own DSG6, and this vers. of the gearbox is more stable than DSG7. not many people with high milage DSG7s have replied.

And you're expecting to get a reliable statistical spread of values out of the numbers of people that reply to you on a forum?! You do know that in order to get anything meaningful you would need tens of thousands of people to reply, people that have used that particular gearbox in the most diverse environments and ways of use (urban, motorway, heavy users, light usage etc etc). Then and only then you can get a proper view of the reliability of said gearbox. Why do you think all these reliability surveys such as JD Power and others need more than 60-100.000 people to contribute for that survey to be taken seriously?

Here's the two possibilities you might get from you asking this question:

1. The gearbox is crap. The 1.4TSI engine is crap (you were worried about that too!). Go buy the Honda Civic AT.

2. The gearbox is great. The 1.4TSI engine is great. Go buy the Octavia 1.4TSI DSG.

Pick the one you feel fits your worries.

End of thread... :)

PS: You can be certain that the only ones that have a proper database of issues (real or imagined) of any part is VW. And you can bet your behind it will never be made public, unless they get their own Snowden.

Edited by TudorM
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

My Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG7 ran smooth for 44000 KMS. Thats only in 1.5 years. Recently when I left from the service station after the third service, the Mechatronic caught fire. Yes actual fire, smoke and flames erupting from below the engine. Thankfully no other components show physical damage, but it will be only clear after they have replaced the mechatronic. Two things I doubt, they say a fuse was blown, that caused the short circuit and fire. Secondly, why this happened right after service within 2 hours? Is it possible they left some fluid or liquid which may have caused this? I have a supersports paddle shift steering on it too. It was bought from Skodadop.com. Could that be a reason for blown fuse? 

My understanding is that the DSG7 had a couple of different problems under different circumstances.

The most well documented problem was in China where manufacturing takes place there because of the very high import tariffs and there were quality control problems.

Yes, VAG resisted recognising the problem but eventually a massive recall was undertaken and I presume the identified problems were fixed as the DSG7 is still in production there

There were also big problems with the DSG7 in Australia. Again VAG refused to recognise the problem until the adverse publicity started to escalate exponentially and then they reacted,  and far too late to avoid damage to their reputation.

The problem here was due to the extreme conditions we can experience and was fixed, apparently, by simply changing to a different lubricant oil.

Not everybody was affected but I suppose it depended on how, when and where they drove.

It would explain similar problems experienced in India (even more extreme conditions) but far fewer issues in Europe. Yes I know the UK had a 37.5C day in July but it was only one day and not that bad really (went for a run after travelling 'home' on the tube).

I have not heard of any real widespread problems with the current  turbocharged only 1.4tsi engine but the similar capacity supercharged AND turbocharged 1.4 engine had a reputation here for being an outstanding performer and major unreliability. I assume those issues have been fixed as that engine is supplied in a cheap non MQB VW Jetta sourced from Mexico.

Skoda supplied to Australia (currently a small market for them but they are starting to make a bigger impact) are made in the Czech Republic.

Skoda were first introduced here 8 years ago and I was interested in a Mk2 diesel wagon, my web investigations indicated that Skoda were far more highly rated than VW for reliability and satisfaction in the UK and Germany. Luckily I like manuals and so have not experienced any gearbox issues.

I bought my 1.8 TSI DSG7 in July 2014. I took a warranty extension, in case of.

32000 km since, and so far so good.

I've been actively looking for DSG7 issue testimonies on the web and did not detect re-occurrence of the mecatronics/oil quaility issue (leading to metallic noise) on VAG vehicules produced after end 2013.

This is of course no guarantee...

And you're expecting to get a reliable statistical spread of values out of the numbers of people that reply to you on a forum?! You do know that in order to get anything meaningful you would need tens of thousands of people to reply

I worked a bit with statistics once.

A sample size of 2000 is enough to produce very accurate results, whatever the population size. Even if the population size is 50 billion, increasing the samples size from 2000 to a million has a neglibile effect on the accuracy of the results. Strange but true :)

You pay your money you take your chance. Buying into VAG for either badge kudos or to be thrifty with your cash does not mean you are buying quality. True that all car companies are similar but personally I would not own a dsg dpf Octavia after the warranty expires. To much of a risk and at the rate of failures of other components on the car its not a risk I would take. Those are based on my cars own statistics

If you are that worried then my advice to you would be don't buy an Octavia. Maybe you would be more at ease buying a Honda or for even better reliability, a Toyota. No point buying a particular car if you are going to worry about reliability even if it may be unfounded.

Would that be the reliable Toyotas with major recalls due a range of faults?