Noisy windscreen wiper

Paul52

Had my Yeti two weeks now and I'm very glad I made the decision to go Skoda rather than with one of my other choices. And as we are now enjoying what seems to be becoming a typical summer down here in the south I've already had the chance to try the windscreen wipers and the heated windscreen. (I'm glad I took that option and it's going to be well worth the investment come the cold weather - which will probably arrive in August).

My question concerns the wipers - are the wipers on all Yetis (Skodas?) this noisy? There is a real thump as they reach the end of their travel, loud even over the radio, and it's something I've never had on any of my previous cars.

If it is normal no doubt I'll get used to it but if not it may mean it's in need of a bit of adjustment and I'll get the dealer to look at it - it's due to go in for a post-sales inspection in a couple of weeks time.Some advice from forum members may stop me looking an idiot at the dealership!

My old Beemer developed this thudding noise at the turn point - despite cleaning blade edges and screen it only went away when I replaced the blades for Bosch components.

Yep, a strong thump at the end of the stroke is pretty common.

Followed by an odd kind of sighing sound?

• Like 1

I've noticed this much more on my new L&K than on the previous SM - and when on intermittent wipe but 'resting' the wipers seem to go into a lower 'park' position, which again I hadn't been aware of with the previous SM.

Hi Bobdog. I've not been on this forum very long but even so, before I posted my question, I reread it a couple of times and thought "No, there's no way Bobdog's going to get an innuendo out of that. I'm safe".

Clearly I underestimated your ability to take threads off-topic and into your own special place! :blush: Now if we could only harness your special power .....

• Like 1

I had a noise on delivery (No bob no!!) which was fixed by dealer doing a 'proper' job removing any pre delivery wax (that's what I was told).

Only other suggestion is to re-position the wiper arm 1 spine back and see if that helps.

Edited by kibby
  • Like 1

My experience with wipers is that the Valeo wipers supplied with most new Yetis make that noise, and the Bosch Aerotwins do not. The Bosch also wipe a bit better and last longer than the Valeo versions.

Ditto Kibby as a possible first solution. If the screen has been waxed/polished, you can sometimes get a 'thud' and a 'jerky' wipe on the way down <-- has this happened?

If so some good window cleaner or vinegar will get rid of any residue, if not you could re-fit the wipers to see if that solves it.

Go on Bob, do your worst :peek:

Thanks for your suggestions - and sincerest and abject apologies to Bobdog if I entirely misconstrued his comments as anything but relevant and sincere. I can't imagine why I should have interpreted them otherwise.

I tried the easiest option first giving the glass a thorough clean with the glass cleaner that came in the "free" kit and used the same on the blades. Now beautifully quiet and as a bonus a much clearer windscreen! Thanks everyone. (That's the sort of repairs I don't mind doing).

• Like 1

Apology accepted ... see folks, Paul52 is a proper gentleman - not like all you lot seeing unintended smuttery in all my posts :rofl:

• Like 1

Love a "jerky wipe" me! :giggle:

Bob! that's another wipe I need to clean my monitor now (oh dear) . Note to self, do not drink a mug of tea when reading a post from Bob. It made I laugh though, was going to say keep it up (the humour) but I won't.

Bob! that's another wipe I need to clean my monitor now (oh dear) .

Well stop looking at those websites then! :rofl: