Engine and DSG replacement delay and annoying creak at rear!

I have now been without my Fabia VRS Mk11 for 8 weeks now. Only had it since mid January 2013 :-(

20th April my VRS broke down on the M4- engine completely died at 70mph (only 11,000 miles on clock). VW engineer came to rescue within about 10 mins and shortly said it was terminal.

Anyway, car towed back to dealer and has been there since. It took them about 2-3 weeks to decide they needed to replace the engine, then it was ordered and fitted in about a week.

I was then told there is trouble with the double clutch and the new engine, which they then said that it was actually problems with DSG gearbox. I had to wait another 2 weeks for the dealership to tell me a new gearbox was needed. They placed the order, but ever since they are unable to tell me when it will be delivered or fitted.

I have been told that there wasn't one in the UK and had to be delivered from the continent. However, I was then told that they didn't have one built, so I would have to wait up to 10 working days. That period has passed and I still have no idea of when the gearbox is to arrive in the uk and actually be fitted to my car.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of delays? I cant believe it can take so long and no one can give me an ETA?!

Also, the dreaded CREAK!

I have a creak that was coming from the rear of the car - rear drivers side, when turning at lower speeds and driving on uneven roads. It went into the garage to investigate for over 2 and half weeks back in late march, where they allegedly carried out spot welding on the rear panels. Within 2 weeks it came back. :-(

Anyone else experience a similar problem?

Having no luck with it....

Welcome to the forum.

Is there any reason you did not or do not now reject that car and had them get another car,

or maybe better get a full refund & go for something else.?

??

Have you contacted 'Skoda UK Customer Services' to find out why the delay in the Gearbox and the expected time.?

The Warranty is with Skoda and the Dealer should be able to answer, but where they fail then cut out the middle man.

I would be get everything in writing now, if you have not already.

There are many with similar problems with mk2 Fabia vRS in the Fabia 2 section,

but hardly as extreme as your experience.

There are members here had new engines fitted in the last 8 weeks.

A new member in the last few days posted that they also had a gearbox problem after the new engine was fitted.

The problems were almost Exclusively with cars built with the CAVE engine. July 2010- Aug 2012.

(and not with the new CTHE engine fitted in the last quarter of 2012)

Worth posting in the Fabia 2 section, and you will also see the many many other high oil usage threads and engine replacement ones.

There are good vRS's around, but sadly many CAVE engines are failing.

My car was one of the first registered as a Demonstrator and had an engine rebuilt at 4,000 miles & has done 16,000 miles since.

george

Thanks George.

I have threatened to express my legal rights if I have to and at the same time I said I would be patient with them.

Patience is running thin now.

I have been in contact with Skoda UK customer care. Bad experience. Logged complaint and it took them over a week to actually reply to me, but telling the dealer they had made continuous attempts on both numbers I supplied. Turned out they had been unable to even follow the dealers instructions to contact me immediately too. Annoying thing is I rang them from my mobile and it cost me £6!!!

They have accepted error and that the service I have received has fallen far below their standard. They have indicated that they will give me an extended warranty as a minimum as good will.

Looking at it from a different perspective I will have a new engine, which shouldn't have the CAVE issues that have appeared along the threads. However, my concern is when is this going to end?!?

I have asked the dealer to ask Skoda UK to locate the gearbox, but with no success. As it is ordered by Skoda UK and not the dealer apparently. Everything seems to be how long is a piece of string?!

To top it off I got a tax reminder through the door today and I'm not even in possession of the bloody car.

I've had Skoda'a over the last 10 years, but seriously considering why I stayed....

I'll have a look at those other posts you've mentioned.

Cheers

When was your car first registered?

Confirm with them that it is a 'New CTHE Engine & ECU being fitted,

and not a Rebuilt Engine they are supplying from the Factory..

There are doubts over the engines already supplied and installed on some other members cars.

No way of identifying the Engines supplied as being New & not Factory Rebuilds..

(there are quite a few happy with the engine they have had and the work was done quickly.

there are some right now still being messed about and going through Oil Consumption tests.

Only recently were Gearboxes problems mentioned with new installed engines)

An ECU for the CAVE engine does not look like a CTHE ECU.

So unless they rewrite the old ECU, since the CTHE has a different MAP,

it is odd that a new CTHE would be in a car with the CAVE type ECU..

(they do not stamp the Engine with the Old VIN, and do not change with DVLA for new engine numbers.

Some did not even get the Service Manual Written up.)

You want a copy of the Invoice showing the Mileage the engine was fitted at.

For the sake of future Oil and Plug changes and as a Record.

& the Service Manual Stamped and signed with Details of what was fitted.

Did it get new Coils, Plugs, CAT replaced or not, etc.

Only a few members here have had Extended Warranties with the new fitted engines.

Skoda UK have been claiming they can not and will not do that.

The rear creak has been various things with others.

New Dampers have been fitted, and new Bushes, and an assortment of stories.

The Spot Welding of the rear panel is a new story.

? Do you have anything to see or anyway of knowing the truth of that?

all the best with it.

george

We had a problem with our gearbox a few months after having reconditioned engine, there was a leak under the gearbox,took it into local dealer who confirmed we needed a Medtronic box which had to be made to order, it would take 6 to 8 weeks. I wasn't happy as by now we had completely lost faith in it. the dealers were fine and customer services were good, the lady that I have always dealt with has always contacted me regularly.Anyway dealer lent us a rapid for a month whilst we were waiting. Few months on engine still using oil and looks like gearbox may have another leak!!!! As for creaking from rear, we had this a few months ago, but it did go after few days? I don't think skoda appreciate the stress of all our problems, but when you invest £14k you expect the car to be more reliable than this. now thinking of changing for Monte Carlo estate, but I know looking at values we are the ones losing out.

hope you don't have to wait to long for gearbox , I really think that once the replacement engine fails or cars are having more and more problems they should offer replacment cars or refund, warranty or not there is a limit!!

• Like 1

Just forgot to mention I would have something in writing re new engine, as I asked for new CTHE engine and was told several times by customer services yes it would be! Anyway when confirming just before I agreed to having new engine they came back and said no its a reconditioned CAVE, I told them no way but after another conversation they said if we have a problem with current engine we would not be covered under warranty as we refused the replacement engine, so we had no choice. There is mixed opinions on this forum as to weather it's a new engine or new, but how do you know, the only thing we had in writing was the service book stamped when engine was put in. Anyway we are still using oil so maybe the cars with replacement engines that are now fine have had a CTHE.

• Like 1

Several early 2010 Demonstrators that i know of had engines rebuilt after a few thousand miles,

and the updated Map & have gone on to be very good.

Problem is that Skoda & Dealers did not write Up service books, provide a written report, and inform buyers of that sort of Warranty work has been carried out,

and it leaves Buyers of used cars not always knowing the History of the vehicle or the engine, & now it seems gearboxes of cars that have had replacement engines..

Basically a rebuilt/reconditioned engine should be perfectly fine.

But the Question is, was it done by 'some twit in a workshop & its just new rings',

or done by a 'Competent Technician',

or Maybe a 'Reconditioned Unit from Some Excellent Facility' fitted by properly trained and experienced Technicians..

All a bit of a Lottery and Skoda/VAG are a bit vague about the whole 'Refit/Replacement' and Warranty work.

'Volkswagen Audi Group' seem to treat some customers like Mushrooms.

'Keep them in the dark and shovel them with sh!,t'.

george

Wouldn't be happy at all with any kind of "reconditioned" unit. That just sounds like having a problem oil-consuming engine which was removed from somebody elses car fitted to yours after abit of a lick/polish at the factory! Not cool.

It seems all these problems are having a knock-on effect on used vRS desirability and values. I popped in to my local Skoda dealer last week to enquire about a rough part-ex value on mine. You should have seen the sceptical look on the dealers face - it was like I was suggesting off-loading a nuclear warhead on their premises! They took ages looking the car up on their computer and pooring over its service record (its never had any problems or oil use issues) and still wouldn't give me any idea of what it could be worth without having the car in and checking it over! "Its an exotic car sir"...... errrr really?! :wonder:

'Volkswagen Audi Group' seem to treat some customers like Mushrooms.

'Keep them in the dark and shovel them with sh!,t'.

That would be my experience.

My vrs was in for over a month having just a clutch pack fitted. After lots of arguing and an email to the md of Skoda uk, they're sorting out a new car for me (with small contribution from me as its now a 2 year old car), but it has been a nightmare over the last few weeks. This car is basically not safe (even after the warranty work).

Has now spent 15% of its life being repaired... Poor show from volkswagen group.

Hope everything works out for the OP - don't let them fob you off!

I will ensure I get confirmation in writing from them. I am hoping its a new CTHE and ECU.

It was registered in Dec 2010 with only 9k on clock when I had it back in January.

Alot of money paid for something that has spent the majority of the time in the garage. Still no update on gearbox.

In relation to spot welding, I was jut told that was what they did, after much discussion with Skoda technicians. I have no idea as to the truth of this.

In relation to competency of fitting new engines, I have raised this concern with Skoda UK. That was my concern if the garage was actually able to carry out the job properly, as there was talk of the car originally being sent to a vw technical garage some distance away. That suggestion soon faded...

So I really don't know where and what to do with things now.

All the best with it.

Hopefully you can get it all sorted out before the Original Warranty Expires at the End of the year.

Any extension on the Warranty from Skoda on the Drivetrain will be good.

Once you have it all sorted out i would put it into a MOT Centre that is not a Skoda or VW Garage at the start of December and be sure that that goes OK.

(just so that you are sure on the Emissions, Suspension etc.

its at least someone independent seeing the car before the Vehicles warranty is out.

any Advisories or Failures could be done under warranty if they were part of that.)

I would look at buying an Extended Warranty on the Vehicle if Skoda only cover the Engine/Gearbox as a gesture.

In the mean time i would contact your Local Trading Standards,

(It is a National Number), get advice and raise a case.

Trading Standards can arrange a Professional Motor Engineers Report/Inspection on the vehicle.

It is going to be a case of getting the car back and seeing that all is well before December.

At the moment you are in a good position with the Purchase Second Hand within the last year & the Original Manufacturers Warranty.

Talk to the Trading Standards and see where you stand.

george

So sorry to hear about all the problems you've been getting. Must be leaving you feeling so deflated and annoyed.

Had I joined this forum before I bought the car, or if I was planning on buying a vRS now and joined, to be honest I probably wouldn't have bought one with all the problems people have been having. Yes there are good ones that are trouble free, and thankfully mine is one of those. But I really feel for people who spend a lot of money and get a car which is nothing but trouble.

Anyway, best of luck, hope it gets sorted out soon. Plenty of great people on here who can give advice to help you out.

• Like 1

Ok, here's the update.

It's been some time now. Week 11 has passed.

I am told, that the gearbox will arrive into the UK this monday (1st July) and will be with the dealership within 24 hours of arrival, then put into the vehicle the same day.

I am not holding my breath. Anymore delay, the vehicle will be rejected.

I also wrote a 3 page letter to Mr Stewart, Director of Skoda UK.

• Like 2

Ok, here's the update.

It's been some time now. Week 11 has passed.

I am told, that the gearbox will arrive into the UK this monday (1st July) and will be with the dealership within 24 hours of arrival, then put into the vehicle the same day.

I am not holding my breath. Anymore delay, the vehicle will be rejected.

I also wrote a 3 page letter to Mr Stewart, Director of Skoda UK.

A letter to mr Stewart worked for me, so hopefully that does the trick for you.

Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My VRS is two and a half years old and I have had it for 18 months.

Milage is now 16,500, the engine is still as sweet as ever and there are no DSG problems evident.

However I do have that iritating "Creak" from the rear of the car.

I mentioned it to my dealer and they adjusted the tailgate but that has not cured it.

It's difficult to actually pinpoint the source of the noise, but mine seems to come from the passenger side.

Having fitted a RARB I know that there is nothing loose around the rear suspension, so my only thought would be that it is the tailgate.

Apart from all the aggravation/resale issues of having a new/recon engine and gearbox, I'd be more concerned that they've done spot welding on it.

Do you really want to drive a new car that required welding to fix a creak? I know I wouldn't. I'd seriously be investigating rejecting it and getting a new one. 

• 2 months later...

Looks like I'm gonna be having a second dsg box fitted in 22000 miles!!

Just started getting a vibration changing from 1st to 2nd! Already had a box and an engine!! Kinda worrying

Looks like I'm gonna be having a second dsg box fitted in 22000 miles!!

Just started getting a vibration changing from 1st to 2nd! Already had a box and an engine!! Kinda worrying

My Scirocco (twincharger + DSG7) had this - the clutch slipping it into gear.  Couldn't replicate it when going into the dealers, so never got sorted.  I just used to put it manual if I knew 2nd gear might be chosen by the gearbox..

Very poor show previously over the engine - mine expired in March (burnt valve) in the middle of Belgium.  7 working days after it was recovered it had a new engine fitted (and this was SUK speaking with Skoda Belgium).

xman,  

we know the problems with some MK2's.

why do you keep saying "this is why there will be no mk3 vRS?"

**why are Skoda/VAG still building and selling 4 versions on cars with this engine/gearbox combination and yet they are not properly addressing the problem some buyers of cars have had in the past 4 years,

from them launching the Seat Cupra?

Why are they still making some owners jump through hoops to get their car properly fixed and they continue using workshops without the proper skills to replace engines and gearboxes.**

SKODA SHOULD HAVE CARS COLLECTED AND TAKEN TO A FEW SELECT WORKSHOPS WITH THE EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE TO CORRECTLY REPAIR OR REPLACE TWINCHARGERS, THAT CAN BE  JUST THE  ENGINE OR ENGINE AND GEARBOX.
SOME DEALERSHIPS ARE JUST MAKING A PIGS EAR OF IT.

What has MK2 failures got to do with not building improved performance models of a new car?

Other than Skoda/VAG having trashed the reputation of the name vRS Fabia gained by the MK1,

by producing some oil Burners and cars with engine failure.

Obviously the new car would not have been getting the same Twincharger engine

since VAG have not dealt with the poor Manufacturing in the last 3 yearsf some of the ones they have built.

They are not discontinuing the DQ200 DSG gearbox though.

That might well be in some of the MK3 Fabias, it is very likely that it will be, just not with a 180ps engine.

A MK3 could have had a 1.6 Turbo petrol or Diesel Engine and choice of gearboxes,

just as the Mk3 Sportier Looking Maybias might end up with.

george

• Like 1

My Scirocco (twincharger + DSG7) had this - the clutch slipping it into gear.  Couldn't replicate it when going into the dealers, so never got sorted.  I just used to put it manual if I knew 2nd gear might be chosen by the gearbox..

Very poor show previously over the engine - mine expired in March (burnt valve) in the middle of Belgium.  7 working days after it was recovered it had a new engine fitted (and this was SUK speaking with Skoda Belgium).

Got to say the dealer has been fine with me at first it was the usual "it will be the software ) then he drove it and said defo a big fault.

Just waiting on a phone call now for it to be sorted