The Handbrake

Why is it on the wrong side so the passenger can use it?

This always used to annoy me on Audis.

Pay £50k plus and they can't even be bothered to fit a right hand drive centre console.

They just leave the left hand drive one in.

Yet Skoda previously have changed them for different markets.

I know my Yeti has one. The handbrake is in the correct place near the driver.

The cheaper models just have the handbrake in the middle, such as the Citigo and Fabia.

Why on earth has Skoda suddenly decided we no longer want to use the handbrake unless risking touching up the passenger (like an Audi driver) ?

Considering it's an ideal private hire car and you could have a big lump in the passenger seat I don't get it.

(as you may have guessed, I popped into a showroom today)

• Like 1

At least Skoda have decided to keep a manual handbrake compared to VW and Audi's automatic switch hand brake.

Thankfully so far they haven't gone to expense and complication of using electronic parking brakes.

I picked my current car because it has the autohold/brake facility and it really does make for a relaxing drive.

You don't have to worry as it comes on as you stop and then releases itself when you start to move. The full 'handbrake' only comes on when the engine is totally off and not just in a BMT state.

Can someone upload a photo so I can see what the fuss is about please?

I don't know what all the fuss is about either. I drove a Superb II for four years and yes I think I missed the handbrake a few times for the first couple of weeks but you get used to it. So getting into the Octy III, it all seemed normal to me! However, I took SWMBO's car for a service this morning, went to release the handbrake and grabbed at the space to the left of the lever!...so my brain already thinks its the handbrake lever in an Octy II that's on the wrong side, not the Octy III or the Superb II :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I had no problem with the handbrake being on the wrong side when I test drove it aside from having to move the armrest to it's intended position. Once I take delivery of the car on Saturday and drive it full time I should imagine I'll get used to it and prefer it, but on the test drive it made no odds to me.

So Skoda havent gone for an electronic brake? Why?

Some of us don't like them?

Plus, going from repair bills I've seen for them, they would have upped the price of the car by £1000 ;)

Sorry, I find regular handbrakes a good safety feature, perfectly suited for their task and see no reason to replace them with an expensive overcomplicated gizmo that may or may not work when you need it.

I will not buy a car with an electronic one.

• Like 3