Any other suggestions to wheel wobble under braking?

Did discs and pads all round a few months back and have done approx 6000 miles on them. Don't really brake hard at all and have never had a set of discs warp on me ever but I did go for pagid pads and eicher discs :think: so is it that I've just warped the cheap discs or could it be something else? The steering wheel wobbles likes mad under pretty much any braking but it doesn't judder through the pedal :think: .

I know the top strut mounts are knackered as they only have a few ball bearings in each :giggle: and make a noise when turning but I can't see it being that. I am going to change these when I get back off holiday anyway.

Checked it on a ramp and no play in track rod ends or ball joints, has got X type console bushes fitted by previous owner and I've done 20k and they still look fine so wouldn't of thought it was these either. Its due its mot so might see what it brings up on the shaker plates before I order pagid discs and the top strut mounts unless anyone else has come across this and can advise?

I need to balance the wheels as the fronts have a slight wobble at 70+ but not heard of them causing a wheel wobble when braking too.

Got so much I need to do but just not enough time to do it but I am determined to get it all done when I get back offf holiday in a few weeks time!!

Cheers

I'd start with balancing the wheels, checking tyres for any damage and checking suspension geometry. If this doesn't help the problem would be pretty interesting, providing that bushes are OK ;).

Did it do it before you swapped the disks?

Has the car had wheel bearings changed?

No such thing as a warped disk.

An unevenly worn disk yes!!!

I had a civic that 'warped' disks every 3000 miles (hard driving, some track) and it was cured by getting the disks cut on the car.

The wheel bearings had been changed and were not 100% perfectly flat so caused uneven wear.

Probably not your issue, but worth knowing.

The brakes were fine but the rears were hanging so decided to do discs and pads all round and refurb the callipers. Then I put new tyres onto some audi a3 sport wheels and fitted them and probably 1000-2000 miles later I got the wobble. Just thought though I fitted some 5mm universal spacers to the rears and then got some for the front,wonder if these could be causing it???

Its due its mot so will find out if the discs are warped

Mine never wobbles when accelerating up to national speed limit. But when braking it wobbles around 25-40ish mph. I just sort of assumed it was my uneven discs as they are so poor.

Could be a few things... Buckled wheel, out of balance wheel, warped disk or the run out on the hub is buckled. Try getting the wheels checked then after that either get your discs skimmed or purchase new ones. I had the same thing, turned out i had a warped disk. New discs and pads fixed it.

I think its the cheap spacers causing the problem, I just assumed it was the discs but Im going to try running it with them off the front and see if that helps. I know you cant warp a brake disc but its easier to describe it as that than going into that theres a build up of pad on it causing a vibration to people who might not be that clued up

• Like 1

Balanced my front wheels and put them back on without spacers, no more wheel wobble upto 80 and no more wheel wobble when braking but only did a quick test. I'm working in Derby and Sheffield tomorrow so will know for definite with all that driving but think it was the spacers. Feels like there is a tiny judder through the pedal but I can live with that

• 3 weeks later...

my wheels are fully balanced as had them powdercoated. rear tyres which were on the front when I had 288 brakes are now on the front with the 312 upgrade and I still get this wobble...

Frustrating :(