New annoying mobile phone while driving thing

Catch22

I do a fair amount of miles and I see so much of this thing where people are holding their mobile in mid air and talking on speaker phone!!

What's that all about, surely it's just as dangerous as holding the darn thing to your ear?

There no bloomin point trying to use the crappy thing anyway cause they have taken all the power out of the phones to stop our brains frying( no proof of course). Yogurt pot and string would be better than my ibrick 5 on 02. But thats another rant!

Thank you

• Like 2

Every morning in the M25 car park- traffic slows to 20-30( often stop start) and so many people reach for theyre phones. Problem is they dont realise when traffic sets off again. X this effect by 100's and the M25 is rooted. Again. Could be wrong but i see it soooo much.

Every morning in the M25 car park- traffic slows to 20-30( often stop start) and so many people reach for theyre phones. Problem is they dont realise when traffic sets off again. X this effect by 100's and the M25 is rooted. Again. Could be wrong but i see it soooo much.

Crap that's me checking out me book of faces

Also, I was under the impression that using a handsfree set is still legal in the UK. By definition a speakerphone call is no different. That said, I'm pretty sure its supposed to be attached to the dash for it to count as hands free. Holding the phone kinds makes it redundant.

Almost as annoying as the "stop wherever you are" method. Doesnt matter if you cause queues and traffic chaos as long as you have your phone call.

^ This is why I'm against banning mobile phone use here in Sweden. I'd rather have someone driving erratically than taking a blind turn at 80+ KPH and finding a parked car in my way. Did that once, performed a hand of god manoeuvre, and I got away with minimal damage. That was the day I realized I was never going to win the lottery, used up a lifetime of luck in those three seconds.

Just a bit off topic, but say my phone rang, could the front passenger hold it to my ear, so both my hands are free to drive ?

You most likely would still get pulled as its just the same as somebody answering a phone and holding it against there ear with there shoulder with both hands still free

Nothing stopping the passenger from talking for you or simply asking the person to call you back later

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

It is a law that is openly flouted all day every day by millions of stupid and selfish people. Easy solution is to make the penalty commensurate with the degree of driver impairment. That would make it equivalent to drink driving, so automatic 12 month ban and hefty fine. That will sort it.

Chris

• Like 2

Ahhh dont even start me on this!!! Which part of holding the phone in front of your face and talikng to someone on it constitutes your not actually on the phone?!!!! Every day i see this and if im truthfull its mainly girls i see doing it!!...Blokes just hold it to their ears and think feck it!!!

Kit :)

I especially love the people, and there are hundreds I see every day round my way, holding the phone while taking corners, turning round, pulling off from traffic lights, pulling out of junctions, etc., etc. Basically all the driving maneuvers that require concentration and two hands on the wheel. 

Some little blurt in his Audi A3 nearly killed me the other night. He decided he was turning right into the road I was crossing, but he hadn't indicated because he didn't have the correct hand free to flick the stalk so he just thought he wouldn't bother. Then I get a load of horn and verbal because I'm crossing the road and he had to brake sharpish not to hit me. :wall:

Seriously, I'd round 'em all up and stick them in a pen with a couple of hungry bears :rofl:

Ahhh dont even start me on this!!! Which part of holding the phone in front of your face and talikng to someone on it constitutes your not actually on the phone?!!!! Every day i see this and if im truthfull its mainly girls i see doing it!!

Yup couldn't agree more. Both our cars have factory fitted bluetooth kits now but our Fabias

didn't but they were both bluetoothed up with parrot kits. Get in turn the key and you're connected.

Very good sound quality, even voice activated features. I paid £50 for one for my Mrs on amazon

and my vRS had one fitted when I bought it.

What gets me is how inexpensive it is to retro fit a bluetooth parrot style.

hands free to more or less any car.

£40 will buy the most basic one now and can be fitted in an hour by a half decent DIYer. 

If a call comes in the music/radio is cut out and you get the call through the speakers instead.

Nice and loud and easy to hear, and they come with a decent quality mic too.

Then if like some you feel the need to bunny all the way down the road, nobody will say

a thing about it. And you'll be concentrating on the drive more as you won't be trying to work out

what someone is saying through the tinny speaker on the phone.

It's annoying as these people wouldn't think twice about blowing loads of cash on

clothes or a night out, and they are often driving pretty new cars so surely they can

afford to spend £100 (thats having one fitted professionally) to keep their licence clean.

Sadly, what they don't work with is social network sites and I think that has a lot to

do with why so many don't bother. It's bad enough talking on the phone but theres a lot

of mobile facebooking and twittering going on nowadays as the youngsters feel

compelled to put every detail of what they do online. This is by far more dangerous

and increasingly more common. Again, especially with girls/women.    

Had one similar last night. Mature female in her Merc didnt see me on the crossing she then stood on the anchors and dropped her phone onto the floor. She then gave me a large vebal mouthfull out of her window at which point I laughed and pointed to the police car behind her. They had been following her and seen everything. Best bit she then blamed me for breaking her screen on the phone because she had to stop quickly. How I laughed she has been ticketed for speeding and using her phone whilst driving.

I especially love the people, and there are hundreds I see every day round my way, holding the phone while taking corners, turning round, pulling off from traffic lights, pulling out of junctions, etc., etc. Basically all the driving maneuvers that require concentration and two hands on the wheel. 

Some little blurt in his Audi A3 nearly killed me the other night. He decided he was turning right into the road I was crossing, but he hadn't indicated because he didn't have the correct hand free to flick the stalk so he just thought he wouldn't bother. Then I get a load of horn and verbal because I'm crossing the road and he had to brake sharpish not to hit me. :wall:

Seriously, I'd round 'em all up and stick them in a pen with a couple of hungry bears :rofl:

• Like 2

Theres been many a time that ive been crossing the road and some tw*t has nearly ran me over because they were on the phone!!...I just stand in front of their car with a look on my face that says " go on i dare you to get out of your car and open your your mouth"!!

What really annoys me is people not only on the phone but on the phone and not wearing a seatbelt!! Or even folk on their phone and they are wearing a seatbelt but their kids in the back arent!!! There should just be a law that gives me the popwer to drag them out of their car and dispense my own justice!!!

I had words with a women who was on the phone, not wearing a seatbelt and her child was stood up on the rear seat waving at me!!!!...At the next set of lights i jumped out and snatched the keys from her and called the gards!!! She just couldnt understand why i had been so mad and why the gards had been far from impressed!!!..Lucky for me the guy in the car behind me had seen the same thing and backed me up whern the gards arrived :)

k:)

You most likely would still get pulled as its just the same as somebody answering a phone and holding it against there ear with there shoulder with both hands still free

Nothing stopping the passenger from talking for you or simply asking the person to call you back later

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Pardon, but that's just stupid. By that definition, the act of speaking is illegal. Why not take it one step further, and ban passengers as well, you speak with them while driving, don't you? 

I get it if the driver is physically holding the phone, but if he/doesn't, you might as well outlaw conversations. That goes for dash mounted phones set to voice control and speakerphone as well.

I had words with a women who was on the phone, not wearing a seatbelt and her child was stood up on the rear seat waving at me!!!!...At the next set of lights i jumped out and snatched the keys from her and called the gards!!! She just couldnt understand why i had been so mad and why the gards had been far from impressed!!!..Lucky for me the guy in the car behind me had seen the same thing and backed me up whern the gards arrived :)

k:)

Bad idea, mate. That's a big no-no in more or less every civilized country. You're lucky they didn't arrest you instead. The only time its legal to take someone's car keys is if they are intoxicated and you're stopping a DUI.

Edited by DaKKs_152

Personally i think manufacturers should make there cars so that phones cannot be used whilst on the move.Except for emergency vehicles Simples.

To me it was a good idea and would do the same again! theres just sometimes you need to make a stand and bear the outcome!! What if  i hadnt taken her keys and she then ran a red light and klilled her child? :( The gards who came out thanked me, so not a big no no to them either!

kit :)

Forever seeing folk using their smart phones at motorway speeds as people Facebook and tweet whilst driving.

That was my point earlier, there's not a hands free for that so people still ponce about

with their phones even if they do have hands free. Making calls is bad enough but you

should do bloody time for this. It's easy enough to prove, and having the phone confiscated

by police until the end of the contract (done in conjunction and with assistance from the mobile

phone companies so people have to keep paying their line rental even though the police have

their phone, a very easy clause to put into phone contracts and will look good that the companies

don't support improper use of their products and services) plus a compulsory month in the slammer.

Male or Female no exceptions.These actions could very easily get someone killed.

Make that law and publicise the first few idiots to fall foul of it and it will stop almost overnight.

If I see it every day while driving about then the police must see it too.

If they are instructed to focus on that crime it will take no time at all to get

a few morons locked up and for word to spread.