Lighter question.

In the manual there is mentioned that the lighter should not be used for charging things. Why? I want to use it to charge 2 iphones and use the usb for the gps

Edited by Harkonnen

I think Skoda are just covering themselves against failure when used over a sustained period. I have a Ring 12v controller that feeds from the cabin socket and it happily powers three devices (phone and two blu ray players in the back) when we are on a driving holiday for hours at a time. So IMO its nothing to worry about. :)

I must admit that I use the centre console cigarette lighter for my Nokia work phone, my iPhone recharges via the Mitsumi connection. Have to remember to unplug the charger from the cigarette lighter at the end of a journey though as it is live all the time, annoyingly it doesn't isolate with the ignition off.

The 12v socket in the centre console is protected by a 20amp fuse behind glovebox on RHD vehicles. This 20 amp fuse also supplies/protects the 12v accessory socket in the boot. They are permanent fed, so are not on ignition feed. Which for me is a pain!!! :think:

A phone charger should draw a lot less current than a cigarette lighter so shouldn't be an issue. Why the stupid thing has to be live constantly defies me, I'm afraid

Biggest annoyance on the sharan is all the sockets are switched.

• Like 1

I've seen pics of chargers in the back of the central armrest for reR passengers, is this an option on uk specs or how does that get sorted

I've been told by a Skoda garage that the socket can be used for anything, hence you have it even without smoker package.

I for one prefer the permanently live sockets - good for running a coolbox when camping etc or charging overnight - just need to keep an eye on the battery.

Me too. I have used the lighter socket with a multi socket and no problems when running a coolbox, sat nav & phone charger at the same time. My new Octy III has built in sat nav & a spare socket in the boot so the multi plug will be redundant.

• Like 1