Climate Control in Elegance

I seem to recall that on one of my cars it was as simple as .... the fuse had gone!

When I picked up my last Octy (II) after about a week a was getting a really annoying squeak for about 2 seconds (until I accelerated).

It took them days to work out, but there was actually a problem with the air con compressor. sorted quite quickly when they realised what it was.

good luck.

In the dealers defence, if the ambient temperature was cool when they did the PDI they would have no way of knowing that the A/C wasn't working, I doubt very much whether checking the gas content of the system is part of the inspection routine. Can you hear the compressor clutch engaging when you switch the air con on? Just to eliminate that possible cause of failure.....

I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek about the PDI; I don't think I would expect it either.

I don't remember hearing anything, but then I am not sure what I would be listening for.  No matter - they can take it away tomorrow.

I seem to recall that on one of my cars it was as simple as .... the fuse had gone!

When I picked up my last Octy (II) after about a week a was getting a really annoying squeak for about 2 seconds (until I accelerated).

It took them days to work out, but there was actually a problem with the air con compressor. sorted quite quickly when they realised what it was.

good luck.

Thanks!  I hope they diagnose mine quickly - they say they will take it away at 9am tomorrow and if they can fix it within the day without having to wait for parts, they will bring it back.  Otherwise I am away in their demonstrator for 2 days.

Edited by Juniperz

@ Juniperz : when the compressor clutch engages you will normally hear a click from outside the car, unlikely you'll hear it inside the car. Open the bonnet with the engine running and get someone to switch the air con on and off, you should definitely hear the compressor clutch in.

Just a guess, my sphere of engineering is ships, not cars.......

• Like 1

With older cars it is normally lack of gas.....simple recharge should fix it. Some car manufacturers advise switching the air con on even in winter to let the seals lubricate with the refrigerant

Edited by Timoctav

All car manufacturers recommend to have ac on for at least a minute once a week but Juniperz got bad luck with the ac whatever the issue is. Hope this is a human mistake and the issue is easily fixed.

Have I missed it? Is there any info in the Octavia 3 manual that recomends use of ac a minute a week?

it is standard advice from any manufacturer for the reasons given above - basically to keep the syatem in good running order for when you need it.

it is standard advice from any manufacturer for the reasons given above - basically to keep the syatem in good running order for when you need it.

It may be sensible advice, but is it actually written anywhere in the manual?

Update - the car is fixed and on its way back to me. "The flap that lets the air circulate in to the car was not clipped in correctly. It is now, this was not picked up through fault finding as it was not an electrical error".

The driver should be happier on his way back than when he left here - it is 29 degrees here and he was in a car with no aircon !!

• Like 1

I have the car back and it is nice and cool inside.  Yay.

And they had filled it with fuel (though they have trashed my good MPG figures, and probably my running-in).

And they brought me a litre of top-up oil.

And the boots nets are on order and will be posted to me.

Now I just need my Brodit bracket to arrive and all will be sorted.  And I need extension sockets in the back of the car, so that my daughter can charge her phone.  Got used to 4x 12v outputs in the last car...

Glad all sorted, especially in the current weather. My Mum's new Audi A1 had the same problem!

Enjoy your new car you lucky man!

• Like 1

Really pleased it was something simple and you can now enjoy the car.

Have you found an alternative Brodit mount to the vent mount as I really don't like blocking the vents

Have you found an alternative Brodit mount to the vent mount as I really don't like blocking the vents

Don't understand why you would want a phone mount when all your phone contacts get copied into the multimedia via Bluetooth and you can make and end calls from the multi- function steering wheel. You don't want to be doing anything else with a phone whilst you are driving on safety grounds - as well as being illegal!

Don't understand why you would want a phone mount when all your phone contacts get copied into the multimedia via Bluetooth and you can make and end calls from the multi- function steering wheel. You don't want to be doing anything else with a phone whilst you are driving on safety grounds - as well as being illegal!

If its in a holder you aren't holding it so you could technically even send texts legally, though you could then foul of other laws.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Really pleased it was something simple and you can now enjoy the car.

Thanks.  No, I have gone for the vent mount and will see how I get on.

Just because I have always had a mount.  I am on top of all the built in functionality, but I just prefer it there.  I think I get a better signal there too, and I am not mad about having a long call with the phone in my trouser pocket.  Keep 1W of full power transmission away from my bits, thank you very much.

I normally have two phones, my iPhone (Bluetooth off) sits in the cubby in front of the gear lever connected to the Mitsumi, my humble Nokia work phone sits in the "ticket holder" in the centre console connected to the cigarette lighter and Bluetoothed to the car. So no microwaved gentleman's bits for me either!!

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion, though I prefer to keep the handset higher, nearer the line of sight.  Vent height is fine, just a shame it blocks the vent, if you know what I mean.

Update - the car is fixed and on its way back to me. "The flap that lets the air circulate in to the car was not clipped in correctly. It is now, this was not picked up through fault finding as it was not an electrical error". The driver should be happier on his way back than when he left here - it is 29 degrees here and he was in a car with no aircon !!

Very likely a build fault or you're just unlucky to have a borked compressor from the factory.

What I said above  :hi:

Edited by Juniperz

It may be sensible advice, but is it actually written anywhere in the manual?

Can't see it, no, but it is "good engineering practice" . It's unusual for the manual not to recommend this, most do.

If the air con system in the mkIII is the same as the mkII then the compressor is always running and a small amount of refrigerant is therefore always cycling round the system. So the risk of seals drying out and leaking is very low, even if if you don't use the air con.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2